03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 59,464 Views
Closed Thread Share/Bookmark

Old 10-05-2006, 02:14 AM   #1
JPerfect

Unhappy Got hit today.

Might need some parts/advice on what to do.

Here's my situation... College Student, part time job, no cash, and now no car to get to work or school.

Still have to get the car from the tow truck company and assess the mechanical damage. Not sure what to expect.

Here are a few pics of the damage.

One thing I definitely need is a RIM, as you can see.

Old 10-05-2006, 02:20 AM   #2
AlaskaBlue

Thats too bad. Good luck fixing the ti. How did it get hit?
Old 10-05-2006, 03:37 AM   #3
tastade

That car looks drivable from the two pictures, and you should be able to make it look better at least by doing a little pounding. If you are even marginally decent with tools, you can take the interior piece off on the inside rear seat behind where it was hit. Use a piece of wood with rounded corners (make sure you don't leave the corners sharp (they will show up from the outside after you pound if you do), and pound the dent out from the inside by lining up the block of wood at the low points (relative to outside). This is time consuming and you have to play it by ear, but it can make even a bad car look good.

Look at the silver MR2 on this page, http://homepage.mac.com/atastad/PhotoAlbum7.html we made it look almost new. It still had wrinkles in the metal, but it looked 100 times better after several hours of pulling and pounding. I used a Jeep with a chain around the bumper to pull the bumper back to straight, and then used a jack on the inside to get it the rest of the way. Took the fender and hood off and pounded them back to shape, and it looked good. Note that this is a mid/rear engine car so the front was mostly sheet metal, if that was a front engine car it would have been a lot worse.

The hardest part is that there always tends to be a support bar in the way right behind where the dent is. You just have to get creative and find a way to put pressure on the sheet metal from the back. Maybe use a different shape of wood block/stick etc. Just remember not to put pressure directly on the metal with something with a sharp edge as it will leave an imprint. Remember, you cant make it worse than it already is.

Check on eBay for the rim, just be sure to by from a seller with good feedback (over 98% positive and a rating of at least 10 or 20). Oh, and make sure you didn't do in suspension damage, you might invest $60 +/- in a 4 wheel alignment.

Note: This assumes that insurance won't cover it and you are stuck fixing it yourself.
Old 10-05-2006, 03:42 AM   #4
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPerfect View Post

One thing I definitely need is a RIM, as you can see.
The spare tire is good for 50mph. Your local salvage/junk yard will have a rim for you. Save the tire if it's not wrecked and mount it on the junk yard rim. For under $100 you'll be back in business, at least until you get an insurance check.

'99 Dinan M3
Old 10-05-2006, 03:44 AM   #5
Bozola
Z3

Vehicles

Doesn't look as bad as mine did....

http://web.mac.com/bozola/iWeb/Pics/Gone.html

Old 10-05-2006, 03:56 AM   #6
tastade

Ouch, that looks like my old 300zx I had that got t-boned. Had to replace the front fender, door, and pull the quarter, but it missed both rims. It was a junky car so I just kept the $3000 insurance check for the car I paid $1400 for and fixed the stuff my self for under $300.
Old 10-05-2006, 04:07 AM   #7
pdxmotorhead

Make the claim get it fixed right. Otherwise its a write off....

Wild guess Thats about a 3500 dollar dent.

If you got hit the other guy has to pay and you don't necessarily have to involve your company.

Based on my past experience find a straight general purpose law firm if you end up making a claim. they will get you more money and you may actually be able to fix your car.

Dave
Old 10-05-2006, 04:25 AM   #8
marleymon

If that subframe and trailing arm are not damaged or bent, this is worth fixing.
I have seen that rear 1/4 replaced. Any good body shop can help you out- if you had coverage on it.

check with this guy to see if he still has the 1/4 you need...
http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthrea...=11347&page=10
Old 10-05-2006, 05:19 AM   #9
JPerfect

Well, I was taking a common route, I have taken it MANY times, being that I worked in a building in viewing distance for nearly 3 years. I came to the stop sign, and had just put her in first gear when I ended up in the grass on a curb.

Didn't know exactly what happened at first... I was a bit shellshocked, but I'm ok. The other person was able to drive their car home. It was an Acura TSX I believe.

I do not have collision on the car, however my uncle owns a body shop and is only going to charge me for parts. I'm gonna help with the rebuild as well, as long as the wheel/suspension/frame isn't gnarled up. I'm very handy with tools, and if the car was in my driveway now, I'd be hammering the hell out of it. I was victim of a hit and run once, half a year ago, and I banged the hell out of the rear fender with a rubber mallet. Looked good, only had to get it bondo'd and painted. Felt good to beat the fender too.

What I'm really afraid of, is that maybe the TSX broke my rim. That would mean certain death. The car basically rolled backwards over the curb... it's possible that the curb did that to the wheel, but I think the TSX's grill might have had something to do with it.

There's a potential problem with this accident though. It could have seemed as though I ran the stop sign, and that's probably what the lady said.

I will know tomorrow afternoon, when the car gets towed to my driveway and I can put it up on jackstands.
Old 10-05-2006, 06:06 AM   #10
aceyx

I see an officer in the reflection in the first picture. Is there an accompanying report?
Old 10-05-2006, 07:29 AM   #11
dguzzardo22

ouch ...... i have a set of rims and tires if u need them like the 1 in the pic
Old 10-05-2006, 09:05 AM   #12
3DGE

It dosent look too bad, have you tried to drive it yet?
Old 10-05-2006, 01:24 PM   #13
Bluebimma

Ive got some rims too if you need.

1998 Schwartz II sport 318ti - M50TUB25/5
Old 10-05-2006, 05:37 PM   #14
Severian

Good luck. I hope it wasn't your fault; that way it doesn't matter if you carry collision or not. It seems to me it's difficult to be at fault for causing an accident if YOU are the one who was hit by someone else. Especially it's a common route, you know the stops, it was on the way to work and you know the surrounding territory...if it's your word against hers she hit you, right?

If you have a good record that can't hurt.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:13 PM   #15
JPerfect

I have never received a moving violation, and I've been in a few accidents, only minor a few years ago... had a hit and run a few months back as well.

Yes there's a report, I have to pick that up tomorrow.

I'm going to have my car towed to my house now, and I'll put on the spare and determine if it's driveable. If it is, it will be fixed

If it's not, it's a free-for-all.

I'll let you know about the rims tonight guys, I really appreciate it.

Thanks everyone. I'll keep you posted.
Closed Thread