318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Maintenance

Notices

Maintenance Service Interval questions, oil change info.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 995,287 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 01-09-2007, 02:49 AM   #1
L84THSKY

Default Brake wear sensor

My light was flickering this weekend, now it's on steady. Assuming the pads are really in need of replacement, how much time from when the light came on, do I have to do the work?

I was planning on checking the pads this coming weekend, and ordering new ones if they are worn out.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 02:52 AM   #2
aceyx

If you're just doing pads (no rotors), the job takes only an hour. Might as well order them.
Old 01-09-2007, 03:12 AM   #3
mooseheadm5

depends on how much and how you drive. Could be a week, could be a month. If they are stock pads, quite a while, I'd say, if you are easy on the brakes.
-P
mooseheadm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 03:21 AM   #4
L84THSKY

I put the Axxis Ultimate pads in during the summer of 2005. As long as they make it for a week or two, I'm good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseheadm5 View Post
depends on how much and how you drive. Could be a week, could be a month. If they are stock pads, quite a while, I'd say, if you are easy on the brakes.
-P

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
Old 01-09-2007, 04:27 AM   #5
Tyler
TRETEN IRGENDEINES ESELS

The might not be even gone,the wire could've melted away or got damaged and the light came on. I'm just saying that cause a month after i put new pads and rotors on my light came on and i was like wtf. I took the tire off and noticed the wire was rubbing on the inside of the rim and it snapped it in two.

You've done that much driving in a year to need new pads? You must do alot of city driving?
clear outs all around,stealth turning signals,blue led interior lights, 35% tinted windows,K&N air filter, 12" Kenwood Sub, MTX Thunder Amp,Alpine cd changer, Leatherz Armrest,ACS Pedals/Handbrake/FloorMats & Vitesse Tuning Carbon Fiber B-Pillars/CF Spark Plug Cover, New 16" MSW Typer 14 Rims on Goodyear Triple Treds

www.myspace.com/avusblueti
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 03:03 AM   #6
DaNO

Default replace everything

i heard you cant replace JUST the pads but you have to replace the rotors pads and sensor. what do you think?
DaNO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 03:14 AM   #7
1996 328ti

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaNO View Post
i heard you cant replace JUST the pads but you have to replace the rotors pads and sensor. what do you think?
Depends.
Dealers and shops like to replace rotors and pads to prevent possible problems. You can develop pad deposits on the rotor which might make the bakers shudder. Then the dealer shop has a pissed off customer and may have to eat the labor to replace the rotors. Sometimes by the time the pads are worn down, so are the rotors. Brake pad sensors become brittle and the wires fray. So no, you don't have to change everything, only what is needed. BUT, you may have problems in the near future. Or not.
BMW CCA #146825
1996 BMW 328ti • 2003 MINI Cooper S • 2016 M235i
www.bmwcca.org
1996 328ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 04:48 AM   #8
L84THSKY

That's what happened, it happened to me 6 months ago as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
The might not be even gone,the wire could've melted away or got damaged and the light came on. I'm just saying that cause a month after i put new pads and rotors on my light came on and i was like wtf. I took the tire off and noticed the wire was rubbing on the inside of the rim and it snapped it in two.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
Old 01-17-2007, 02:46 AM   #9
DaNO

Is there an easy way to check the sensor myself instead of taking it to a mechanic (bastards charge to much)?
DaNO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 02:48 AM   #10
L84THSKY

If the sensor is bad, you most likely will see a damaged wire. Just remove the wheel and inspect the wire.

Quote:
Is there an easy way to check the sensor myself instead of taking it to a mechanic (bastards charge to much)?

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
Old 01-17-2007, 02:48 AM   #11
1996 328ti

Vehicles

Quote:
I suppose you can disconnect it and use an ohm meter. But sensors either work or they don't. Are you trying to figure which sensor is bad?
BMW CCA #146825
1996 BMW 328ti • 2003 MINI Cooper S • 2016 M235i
www.bmwcca.org
1996 328ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 04:19 AM   #12
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

The sensors are useless unless you don't regularly check your car. I pull the wheels and rotate them with every oil change as well as check the brakes, plugs and fluids. Usually spend about an hour each month or so. If you're like me, you could just chop the sensor wire thats bad and splice the two ends together to complete the circuit, tape it up and out of the way and call it good. The caliper itself has a cutout so that you can visually inspect the pad life. Or with a tiny inspection mirror like the dentists use, you can check them without removing the wheels.
cooljess76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 10:53 PM   #13
L84THSKY

Found this pic on Pelican Parts website. From looking at this picture, is the sensor only supposed to go in one way? I don't recall if it will only go in one way or not. From the look of it, the pad can only make contact with that metal clip if the sensor is facing a certain direction. I've never gotten to the point where the sensor would actually come on due to worn pads. My bad luck has been with the wire breaking.

Do you think I can relieve some problems by using a rear sensor in the front? This would reduce extra wire from dangling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996 328ti View Post
I suppose you can disconnect it and use an ohm meter. But sensors either work or they don't. Are you trying to figure which sensor is bad?

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
Old 01-17-2007, 11:20 PM   #14
H3_2.1-ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by L84THSKY View Post
Found this pic on Pelican Parts website. From looking at this picture, is the sensor only supposed to go in one way? I don't recall if it will only go in one way or not. From the look of it, the pad can only make contact with that metal clip if the sensor is facing a certain direction. I've never gotten to the point where the sensor would actually come on due to worn pads. My bad luck has been with the wiring breaking.

Do you think I can relieve some problems by using a rear sensor in the front? This would reduce extra wire from dangling.
The sensor fits one way; with the nipple facing the rotor.
Since you're replacing pads just go ahead and replace the sensor; not expensive.

Cheers,

Engine: 2.1L Hartge conversion (bored to 86X91mm, ported & polished head, new valves, new crank, & upgraded ECU), Supersprint SS headers, Hartge exhaust, custom cat bypass (track), KV85 wires, Bosch platinum plugs, Vitesse cf spark plug cover, Vitesse cf CAI, Samco hoses, Fiamm air horns. Drivetrain: custom ssk, Vitesse adj. clutch stop, Redline D4 ATF & 75W90. Chassis: 18x8.5 Hartge Classics on 225/40/ZR18 Direzza DZ101s, 17x8 Hartge 7 spokes on 235/40/17 Direzza Z1 *specs and 17x9 Enkei MT1-R on 235/40/17 Direzza Z1 *specs(track), Vitesse 10mm spacers with cf/billet hub extenders, Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, Hartge sway bars & strut brace, urethane offset LCABs, Vitesse rsb, billet/urethane RSMs, X-brace, ATE BBK, ATE slotted rr. rotors, Goodridge ss. lines, ATE Superblue. Exterior: Violettschwarz, Hartge lip spoiler, window spoiler, hatch spoiler & mirrors, Vitesse cf door pillars, Vitesse cf fog light blanks (track), ZKW ellipsoids, HIDs in headlights, highbeams and foglights, and much more... Performance BMW Magazine feature car March 2003 www.vitessetuning.com
H3_2.1-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 12:13 AM   #15
mooseheadm5

L8, the sensor should be kept away from the wheel by the brake bleeder nipple cap, or should be just long enough to reach the plug when installed correctly (depends on car.) The plug should clip securely to the brake backing plate. Front sensor may not work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996 328ti View Post
Depends.
Dealers and shops like to replace rotors and pads to prevent possible problems. You can develop pad deposits on the rotor which might make the bakers shudder. Then the dealer shop has a pissed off customer and may have to eat the labor to replace the rotors. Sometimes by the time the pads are worn down, so are the rotors. Brake pad sensors become brittle and the wires fray. So no, you don't have to change everything, only what is needed. BUT, you may have problems in the near future. Or not.
Exactly. That, and most people have worn the rotors close to the wear limit by the time they need pads. It depends heavily upon which pads you use. With factory pads, the rotors are usually done by the time it needs pads. Here in VA, an inspection station can reject a car if the rotors are thinner than the limit regardless of pad life. Pissed off customer indeed. "Well, looks like we'll have to charge you to do them again even though you just did them last month- we can't use old pads on new rotors..."

Quote:
<rant>
Learn to work on it yourself. If you can't, think about how much it costs to run a shop, buy the tools, and learn about all of the cars that may come in. If we are sooo expensive, then maybe you could do it cheaper? If not, ask yourself this, do you try to find the cheapest doctor for a heart transplant? Used to be that people knew how to check over their car by themselves. Not so much anymore. Where do they get off telling us how much to charge? If your mechanic doesn't just look over the car to check the brakes and other things every time you bring it in for an oil change, maybe you should find a different mechanic. Or, learn how to do it yourself. Most community colleges teach an auto shop class...
</rant>
-P
mooseheadm5 is offline   Reply With Quote