318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Maintenance

Notices

Maintenance Service Interval questions, oil change info.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,002,822 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 11-12-2005, 02:40 AM   #1
DaNO

Default 100K mile tune up

So i am about to hit 100k and i was wondering how much it will cost to get the tune up or whatever im supposed to do at 100k. Also, if it is even THAT important that i do anything at all. thanks ...
DaNO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 03:04 AM   #2
barische

i think oxygen sensors due at 100 k thats what my mechanic said but some people dont change them till they go bad. i got 95, and i do my maintenance randomly but at 80 k about 2 years ago car got done alotta stuff. i said change the fuel filter, spark plugs, air filter, coolant, diff fluid, tranny fluid if u feel slipping in ur tranny, brake fluid, check the brake pads.
Old 11-12-2005, 03:06 AM   #3
barische

i just remembered, radiator hoses are due every 4 years or 60,000 miles, also belts. my camshaft position sensor went bed at about 90k that costed me 100 for the sensor and i did the labor, but it takes aobut couple of hours.
Old 11-12-2005, 03:16 AM   #4
cali-ti
aka Stabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by barische
i think oxygen sensors due at 100 k thats what my mechanic said but some people dont change them till they go bad. i got 95, and i do my maintenance randomly but at 80 k about 2 years ago car got done alotta stuff. i said change the fuel filter, spark plugs, air filter, coolant, diff fluid, tranny fluid if u feel slipping in ur tranny, brake fluid, check the brake pads.
most of these are routine and not anything special for 100k. i can't actually imagine anything specifically due at 100k. just keep up with the maintenance as your car tells you (via the lights on the dash). you might want to check bushings for wear that you don't normally, but otherwise, you should be fine. i was just changing my shocks/struts around that time i think (well, maybe that was 130k).

that said, if you HAVEN'T done the things he's mentioned above (such as diff fluid, coolant, manual trans fluid, brake/clutch fluid, power steering fluid [this one is commonly forgotten], air and fuel filters, etc), then by all means do them.
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 11:08 PM   #5
aceyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali-ti
most of these are routine and not anything special for 100k. i can't actually imagine anything specifically due at 100k.
Beyond the things you should check for Inspections I and II, there's nothing that'll turn into a pumpkin once you hit 100k. It's all just gradual maintenance for wear.

When I hit 100k, I did a more invasive inspection, got the car up on a lift, wobbled joints, rotated tires, checked all sorts of things physically that I normally just check with my eyeballs. Pulled some panels off to look for rust, and cleaned areas I usually don't give a crap about. I then also had my mechanic look things over for a second opinion.