318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Induction

Notices

Induction Superchargers, NO2 and turbos.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 991,213 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 01-19-2011, 08:37 PM   #151
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Now are you 100% sure your transmission can handle 200+ HP and massive torque at 3000rpm?

What type of transmission or part number is in there so we can look into what it can handle.

I would hate to take it out on blow the tranny right out down here during testing
xxxJohnBoyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:58 PM   #152
yoda

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxJohnBoyxxx View Post
Now are you 100% sure your transmission can handle 200+ HP and massive torque at 3000rpm?

What type of transmission or part number is in there so we can look into what it can handle.

I would hate to take it out on blow the tranny right out down here during testing
This is the Tranny that the car has...
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...25&hg=24&fg=05
It is the same as the one on the 328i with the same build date.

Custom JohnBoy Turbo, Midnight-Tunning Software, HKS BOV, e-Pod Gauge Pod, BavAuto Springs, Bilstein Sport, e30 3.73 LSD, Depo P36, Apexcone 55w HID, OEM Spoiler, M3 Lip, M3 Mesh Grill, Crossdrilled Rear Rotors, M3 Front Brakes, Sparco 3 point Harness, Euro M3 Wheel, K&N cone, Clear Corner/Sides/Tails, M3 Center Console & Arm-rest, M3 Red Cluster Needles, M3 Mirrors & Side Skirts, RD Exhaust, DS-1 wheels!...

Last edited by yoda; 01-19-2011 at 09:02 PM.
yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:16 PM   #153
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda View Post
This is the Tranny that the car has...
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...25&hg=24&fg=05
It is the same as the one on the 328i with the same build date.
Excellent!!! Is it shifting firm in 2nd and 3rd? If so it will be nice since you will get fish-tail with a LSD
Old 01-19-2011, 09:20 PM   #154
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Also where is the battery? If it's up front we need to get it in the trunk, we need that space for turbo piping and A/C line re-route.

Dang I wish we could get a stall converter for your transmisson. Like a 2,800 stall and trans-brake, that would be so crazy
Old 01-19-2011, 09:59 PM   #155
yoda

Vehicles

The tranny works flawless, never had an issue with it, and the battery is in the front... Not sure where I can get an "relocation" kit though.

Custom JohnBoy Turbo, Midnight-Tunning Software, HKS BOV, e-Pod Gauge Pod, BavAuto Springs, Bilstein Sport, e30 3.73 LSD, Depo P36, Apexcone 55w HID, OEM Spoiler, M3 Lip, M3 Mesh Grill, Crossdrilled Rear Rotors, M3 Front Brakes, Sparco 3 point Harness, Euro M3 Wheel, K&N cone, Clear Corner/Sides/Tails, M3 Center Console & Arm-rest, M3 Red Cluster Needles, M3 Mirrors & Side Skirts, RD Exhaust, DS-1 wheels!...
Old 01-19-2011, 10:05 PM   #156
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda View Post
The tranny works flawless, never had an issue with it, and the battery is in the front... Not sure where I can get an "relocation" kit though.
We really just need a long cable for the positive to the trunk. It's there a DIY on here?
Old 01-20-2011, 12:18 AM   #157
wolferj-RIP

lots of us have done the battery relocate, it's easy, just need a cable and front post box from a 6cyl 3 series... http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=27419

Now, how about some vader seats, too...
James 95 active w/leather interior and sport interior conversion, Vaders, full M-Tech exterior conversion. Now m50 swapped* Eibach sway bars, D2 Coilovers, Depo's w/AE's, blacked-out sides and grills, LeatherZ console and door armrests, 1 series starter button mod, and custom finished Style 5's <--- in this color! Named "Roddy": *M50 6 cyl. swap with fan delete, S50 cams and chip, AFE stage 2 intake, M3 clutch and 11.5 lb Fidanza flywheel, 3.15LSD, battery relocated to rear and complete custom exhaust. Sweet! 97 318ti sport, Alaska Blue, Contours, coilovers, Dove Vaders and custom black/grey interior named "Max" 95 318ti Active in Cosmos, S50 swap in progress... named "Pit" SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE! Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!
wolferj-RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 05:16 AM   #158
pi4ovete_84

Wow that's a wonderful story! You guys are amazing, as much I read as much I likeee itt like it baby, TI the best car in the world And such a wonderful place to do turbo project as Florida, so many activities to do in the brakes. i live currently in Chicago but I go 3 or 4 times in fl every year, I love it! I was just two weeks ago in Orlando and stopped by St. Pete to see friend of mine. I want to live there
I just didn't get one thing, did you guys started already with the turbo install or? I'll give anything to be in Yoda's shoes good luck with the project!
pi4ovete_84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:48 PM   #159
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by pi4ovete_84 View Post
Wow that's a wonderful story! You guys are amazing, as much I read as much I likeee itt like it baby, TI the best car in the world And such a wonderful place to do turbo project as Florida, so many activities to do in the brakes. i live currently in Chicago but I go 3 or 4 times in fl every year, I love it! I was just two weeks ago in Orlando and stopped by St. Pete to see friend of mine. I want to live there
I just didn't get one thing, did you guys started already with the turbo install or? I'll give anything to be in Yoda's shoes good luck with the project!
Starts the last week in Feb at my house in Gulfport which is a small waterfront town in St. Pete
Old 01-20-2011, 07:42 PM   #160
pi4ovete_84

Tnx 4 the reply, I'll keep following what's going on with your project
I wanna do something with my M44 too, just don't know which is safer - turbo, DASC or just swap it ? I know people back in Europe they did crazy things to their TI's. One just installed X5 engine( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swv2yzyby1U ) sounds evil Others just put some hand made turbos and go nuts
Is this turbo setup looks right to you? ( http://www.fastwayracer.com/p918/BMW...duct_info.html)
On other hand a guy from BMW club in Chicago told me that for around $2000 he can find me nice 2.8 engine and swap it with my M44, I'm just afraid to risk, since mine is only 48000mi in perfect condition.
Anyway thank you 4 creating the thread and good luck!
Old 01-20-2011, 08:12 PM   #161
yoda

Vehicles

Quote:
Tnx 4 the reply, I'll keep following what's going on with your project
I wanna do something with my M44 too, just don't know which is safer - turbo, DASC or just swap it ? I know people back in Europe they did crazy things to their TI's. One just installed X5 engine( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swv2yzyby1U ) sounds evil Others just put some hand made turbos and go nuts
Is this turbo setup looks right to you? ( http://www.fastwayracer.com/p918/BMW...duct_info.html)
On other hand a guy from BMW club in Chicago told me that for around $2000 he can find me nice 2.8 engine and swap it with my M44, I'm just afraid to risk, since mine is only 48000mi in perfect condition.
Anyway thank you 4 creating the thread and good luck!
If you look around the site you'll find plenty of swaps and DASC'd ti's... John was the first one to ACTUALLY do a turbo on an M44 and Blowin was the 2nd one to do it... I'll be 3rd!... The turbo is by no means a project for someone that doesn't know what they're doing, I bought a "kit" but I still need other parts and custom tuning for it to work... That's where John comes into play, he graciously offered up this free install and I was lucky enough to get it. When you put all the money I'll put down to get this done, it'll come to about half of what a new DASC costs... and probably as much as securing a good swap engine... Keep in mind that having that swap done will cost about another grand... The most bang for your buck solution will most likely be a swap, since you will have much more options available to you for upgrading that engine down the line... John's car is a beast, but it has SERIOUS money and know how invested in it! My setup will be for a stock engine, so it won't be pumping out the serious power his car does. Welcome to the forum...

Old 01-20-2011, 08:46 PM   #162
pi4ovete_84

Well thanks! Yes I agree with you, all depends how much money you wanna spend and what you wanna do with the TI
Last may I send a massage to Jim Goodroe in DASC asking about the price, the answer was "The current price of the complete,
bolt-on kit for the 1.9L 318 is US$3,850 and all parts are in stock." Which is a lot
I guess for a stock engine its cheaper to have a turbo thrown in , if you know somebody ho can tune it safely off course
From where did you order your turbo kit?
R u happy with your exhaust?
Old 01-20-2011, 09:12 PM   #163
yoda

Vehicles

Quote:
Well thanks! Yes I agree with you, all depends how much money you wanna spend and what you wanna do with the TI
Last may I send a massage to Jim Goodroe in DASC asking about the price, the answer was "The current price of the complete,
bolt-on kit for the 1.9L 318 is US$3,850 and all parts are in stock." Which is a lot
I guess for a stock engine its cheaper to have a turbo thrown in , if you know somebody ho can tune it safely off course
From where did you order your turbo kit?
R u happy with your exhaust?
I got an eBay kit that goes for $1,049... to that kit you have to add gauge pod, 95' M3 MAF, and bigger fuel injectors... not to mention the custom tuning (which by the grace of God I'll get for free as well). There could be some exhaust work to be done as well. Currently I have a Racing Dynamics Exhaust on my car and I gotta say I love it... not loud and gives me a deeper note. yeah the DASC guy is tripping hard... he's selling that kit for the price you can buy a new Ti for... and you only go up to about 180 hp! You can buy an M3 engine, have it swapped, and still come in with less money spent than the DASC.

Old 01-27-2011, 02:36 AM   #164
ChItalian1027

Vehicles

Good luck with the project John and Luis!! Luis you are hella lucky. I would've liked to come down but can't with school. I should be getting an internship soon as well, just put my resume in at Bosch and HSBC so I'll have to wait till then.

Have fun and happy boosting

WTB: HELLROT RED CLUB SPORT

95 ti sold but staying in the family.
ChItalian1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 06:18 PM   #165
yoda

Vehicles

Well... I have 99% of the parts needed, but I'm still waiting on my refund so I can go down to Florida! It sucks having that big box with all those parts just sitting there, I can't wait to get it done... it's going to be sick!... The video that blowin posted, pumped me up, hearing that sick BOV sound is freaking awesome! Can't wait to hear mine...