318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Suspension

Notices

Suspension Springs, sway bars, shocks.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 97,908 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 60,771 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 58,116 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 01-03-2006, 01:55 AM   #16
cali-ti
aka Stabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by assaf_shalvi
i was driving my car when all of a sudden i felt the left rear side acting wierd.
i looked at the shock observer and the bottom of it was off the bolt. the bolt is still there...
this a recently installed bilstien...
any one knows how this could have happen? any similar experience? any solution?
thanks
Assaf Shalvi
95' compact manual m43
what do you mean "off the bolt"? was the nut for the bolt for the bottom of the shock there? if not, then it sounds like the nut loosened over time and fell off, then the shock came off the bolt. any idea if it was torqued to the proper spec?
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 01:55 AM   #17
J!m

Vehicles

I have both; I'm not sure what happened first, but I did notice the elimination of that nasty windshield creak when the strut brace was installed.

The X-brace was developed for firewall shake in the convertables.

Order Swap Manuals Here => http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12912

WolferJ- gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 11:14 PM   #18
weezer

I'm seriously thinking of upgrading the rear shock mounts, since we all know what happens to the E36 rear floor when the shock mounts fail and start to tear.
This might be a stupid question, but our rear suspensions (318ti) are that of the E30 design and set-up. Does this change at all or is the 318ti the exception to the E36 infamous mallady?
If we still hav eto worry about this, has anyone here (God forbid) have had this problem?
How do we prevent this from happening? New OEM shock mounts or aftermarket mounts such as BMP's or Turner's?

1997 318ti, Hellrot (Bright Red), Dinan Stage 2 Chip
16x7 OEM sport Wheels/X-Brace/Custom Strut Brace/Cold Air Intake/M-Tec Steering Wheel/Koni Adjustable FrontShocks/ Bilstein Sport Rear Shocks /H&R Sport Springs/Custom fabricated strut tower brace/Rear Strut brace, Stromung Exhaust
Future Mods: E46 17" wheels or Kosei K-1 17x8.5s
weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 06:18 PM   #19
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

I've read through this thread and I'm still confused about what I should replace up front. I just want to "freshen up" the front end, not upgrade the hell out of it.

It going to keep the stock sway bars for now. I have HR sports and bilstein sports already. I'm using stock rubber ball joints, but there are crap.

Should I get the meryl control arms with ball joints installed, and the control arm bushing? Or just replace the ball joints with the metal ones? Do the control arms wear out? Or what is the reason for replacing?

'99 Dinan M3
DustenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 06:26 PM   #20
cali-ti
aka Stabby

the steel control arms won't wear out. you'd only need to replace them if they got bent or something (or showed some signs of stress). the reason i'd go for the whole arm is that you're going to have to remove the old ones and press in the new ones. if you're paying a shop to do this, it'll end up costing about the same anyway ... ease of install

according to sheridan, the recommendation for replacing control arms every couple years was for the aluminum ones (which cost more too!). he's been tracking his car with the steel arms for a number of years with no issues (he even still has the stock ball joints).
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

Old 01-30-2006, 06:43 PM   #21
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Thanks cali-ti. Where is the best place to buy the control arm/ball joints? Bavauto has them, but they are usually more expensive than everyone else. I also need to replace my window regulators and some other parts, so I'm trying to find a place that sells it all.

Should I run the treehouse offset bushings too? Where can I buy those?

'99 Dinan M3
DustenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 06:50 PM   #22
cali-ti
aka Stabby

i think they may have one of the best prices. you could check e-bay, but likely you won't be able to get all your stuff there in one place.

i believe you can get the treehouse racing arms directly from there or from bimmerworld.com (which may or may not have the other stuff you want too).

as to whether or not to get them, that's up to you. check your PMs as i responded to the one you sent me. other than what i had in there, i can't advise you any more since i haven't personally used them

Old 08-07-2006, 06:02 PM   #23
L84THSKY

I think my rear camber kit consists of new subframe bushings. Isn't that part of the what makes up the BavAuto rear camber kit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali-ti View Post
as maurolin mentioned, trailing arm bushings, possibly subframe bushings (don't know if there are drawbacks to using urethane for any of these). i haven't done any of these yet so i can't really comment. i AM planning on doing urethane trailing arm bushings (as part of a camber kit). i guess one may want/need a camber kit too (if drop is significant).

looks nice dave. btw, where was this list when i was starting my mods man?

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 06:33 PM   #24
cali-ti
aka Stabby

bavauto (and other kits) are trailing arm bushings only. subframe bushings won't change your camber (at least they better not ).

Old 08-07-2006, 06:37 PM   #25
L84THSKY

My mistake. I meant trailing arm bushings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali-ti View Post
bavauto (and other kits) are trailing arm bushings only. subframe bushings won't change your camber (at least they better not ).

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 07:36 AM   #26
RidingSimple

Good thread.
In my opinion (from owning 5 E36's, I'd replace suspension items in this order).

1) Quality shocks (add lowering springs if lowering is your goal)
2) RSMs with Z3 reinforcement plates
3) Solid front control arm bushings (M3 stock, delrin, urethane, whatever)
4) Front/Rear Swaybar end links (these wear out and are super cheap to replace)
5) X-Brace
6) Front/Rear upgraded sway bars
7) Full rear bushing ovehaul, subframe, trailing arm, and differential (major $$$$ if you pay for someone else to do this though)
8) Finish up with new front ball joints (or M3 spec front control arms which have the upgraded ball joints already in them), inner/outer tie rods, front strut brace (rear does nothing)
RidingSimple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 09:19 AM   #27
Mallard

Vehicles

heres my cheap and nasty recipie

E46 M3 Frontstrut mounts , Rotated to give camber
Powerflex Wishbonebushes (can also get E36 M3 3.0 bshes with added camber if you dont rotate topmounts)
E30 Solid fixed balljoint wishbones (same as M3 but without the camber correction)
adjustable droplinks from FK / eibach / UUC..

Xbrace fixed at all points

Powerflex swingarm bushes
Powerflex rear beam bushes
E46 Cabrio RSMs (BMW orig only)
Z3 reinforcement plates
Powerflex Diff bush

Antiroll bars are a question of preferance to which make is used, but are recommended in any case

Its not a top notch mega bucks selection, but ive read about these many a time from other posters, and they were m ore than happy with the results

Vin Number decode and Retrofit Pdfs Available Free ! Just PM
Mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 01:55 AM   #28
KSKarl

On my car one of the bolts holding the front sway bar bushing broke out of the attachment on the subframe. That will be my first thing to reinforce...
KSKarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 06:36 AM   #29
zoner

Can the M3 strut mounts be used on the ti? If so, what are the advantages to doing so? Better/different geometry? Beefier mounts? Both?
zoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:06 PM   #30
J!m

Vehicles

Yes.

They give additional caster for better high speed stability.

Beefy-er? Maybe. At least slightly I would guess but the bearing appears to be the same dimensions.

Use the strut top reinforcement plates regardless of what else you do.

Order Swap Manuals Here => http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12912

WolferJ- gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote