318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Misc

Notices

Misc Does not fit in any of the forums below.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,002,056 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 05-23-2011, 06:04 PM   #1
jakobgr

Vehicles
Default Intake thingy mabob

Here we are dealing with a 97 318ti

So....I am putting things back together after replacing starter and I personally thought I was soo smart that it would just fall back together w/out any questions. Well as some of you may know...once you get down to the starter there isnt all that much left of the engine....so I ended up with questions. So here we go
In between the upper and lower intake manifold there is a plate that hoses hook up to. Well when I put das auto back together I ended up with a nossle which I have no hose going to:-) I took a picture and put an arrow pointing to the nossle.
So if someone could look at their engine...(not far from the dip stick). Do you have a hose going to that location. Not in the mood to rip things apart for the 3rd time unless I have to:-)

Thanks,
Jakob
jakobgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:06 PM   #2
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

This should help:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...62&hg=11&fg=15

In your pic, it looks like the hose is there, it's just hiding underneath the hose that is connected to you crank case vent valve. The two hoses are strapped together with a rubber sleeve.

Last edited by cooljess76; 05-23-2011 at 07:09 PM.
cooljess76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:30 PM   #3
jakobgr

Vehicles

Well if you look at the lower picture I posted there are two places that hoses could go on, on the metal part besides the black plastic portion. So I have the two hoses connected together connected...but I have a free spot....which I am wondering if should be open.
Thanks,
Jakob
Old 05-23-2011, 10:41 PM   #4
familytruckster

Vehicles

the other hose goes to the bottom plastic manifold on the side of the block....the hose has to be around there somewhere. There are only 2 coolant hoses that go to that PCV plate. #9 in the pic below. It runs under the intake on the side of the squid (electrical box on the intake)

Old 05-23-2011, 11:01 PM   #5
jakobgr

Vehicles

Thanks guys I probably have it right then..I have two hoses going into it.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:14 PM   #6
familytruckster

Vehicles

Well, there are 2 coolant, and then the larger one that goes to the actual PCV valve from the valve cover.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:58 PM   #7
cooljess76

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakobgr View Post
Thanks guys I probably have it right then..I have two hoses going into it.
It's definitely not right the way you have it. The two hoses that are strapped together are COOLANT lines as truckster said. They both go onto the metal fittings UNDER the black plastic CCV valve. There should be one plastic fitting on the backside of the CCV valve which should have an AIR hose going to the crank case vent located on the rear driver's side of the valve cover.

It looks like the way you have it now, you're going to pump coolant into your crank case vent valve and possibly back into your motor which will be catastrophic!

Also, since you disconnected coolant lines, you opened the loop and the system will need to be properly bled. Failure to do so will result in overheating and ultimately a blown headgasket. Make sure you clamp those hoses and follow these steps precisely:
http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=27983
Old 05-24-2011, 12:08 AM   #8
cooljess76

FWIW, it's silly to remove the intake manifold to replace the starter. I've seen more people screw up their motors by losing parts or incorrectly reassembling the intake manifold. The starter is easiest removed from underneath the car. All you have to do is place a jack under the transmission, unbolt the transmission crossmember from the floorboard, lower the jack about 3-4 inches which will allow the engine to tilt back towards the firewall. From there, you can unbolt the starter from underneath the car, remove the oil dipstick tube, make sure the battery is disconnected prior to diconnecting the power cables from the starter, then rotate the starter 270 degrees while manouvering it downward and out from under the engine. I've done it several times.

Last edited by cooljess76; 05-24-2011 at 03:50 AM.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:15 AM   #9
jakobgr

Vehicles

Well now I know....the issue with me working under the car is living in east bum you know where.....and am stuck on gravel. Working under it sucks here, specially lately where it has rained every effing day for a month now. This also means I live in a state that has one bmw dealership which is 3 hours away:-)
Old 05-24-2011, 12:20 AM   #10
jakobgr

Vehicles

Oh yeah and I suspect my starting issue still exist and I have a good spare starter in the basement.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:42 AM   #11
familytruckster

Vehicles

Jess, that is a PITA to do in a gravel driveway... I pull the intake off every time (really easy to do now, about 15 minutes). Though I don't bother disconnecting those hoses, plenty of room to remove it from the intake and get the intake out without opening the cooling system. I also think I did my starter with only taking the alternator out...no intake removal.

At most to find the hose, you would have to pull the upper intake off.

You spoiled cali boys and your nice weather and pavement everywhere

Last edited by familytruckster; 05-24-2011 at 12:47 AM.
familytruckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:50 AM   #12
jakobgr

Vehicles

I kinda can do this in 15 minutes now...but yeah this bmw has made it through many mud seasons so working under it..is kinda painful. I did start off with this car new down in MA where id have pavement to work on.....that was many moons ago. I just should have taken more pictures I think....not relying on things just falling back together:-)
Old 05-24-2011, 03:59 AM   #13
cooljess76

Quote:
Originally Posted by familytruckster View Post
Jess, that is a PITA to do in a gravel driveway...
You spoiled cali boys and your nice weather and pavement everywhere
Doh! Yeah I didn't think about that. Starters are just a pain in the butt period. Just the nature of the beast I guess, they always seem to be in the most inaccessable location back by the flyweel. Also, I may have exaggerated a little. My way isn't exactly easy by any means. Putting the car on jackstands and tilting the motor back isn't exactly a walk in the park
Old 05-24-2011, 09:37 PM   #14
jakobgr

Vehicles
Default Eureaka

So I got a half a day of no rain...and what ya know the hose I was looking for was tucked under something(yes I am very technical in my descriptions). All the hoses are molded in a way that I'd have to be a total idiot to get em wrong(I am by no means denying the fact that I am not mechanic) Took a picture just for refrences(hopefully there will be no next time)

Thanks for the help:-)
Old 05-24-2011, 11:31 PM   #15
cooljess76

Cool man, glad you got everything sorted out. Hopefully you could figure out the starting issue. Don't forget to bleed the cooling system once you get it running.