318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Engine Swaps

Notices

Engine Swaps Engine conversions.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 100,872 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 63,823 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 61,041 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 08-20-2006, 12:29 AM   #1
arren123

Default Removing Engine & Tranny

Ok. I've been parting out my car and I'm ready to remove the Engine and Tranny.

http://www.typer.us/Progress/ See Front.jpg

There is no front of the car anymore and I don't have a cherry picker or hoist.

Here's my plan...
It involves a movers dolly and two jacks.

So I'm thinking of using a movers dolly http://cgi.ebay.com/Carpeted-Movers-...ayphotohosting

I'm thinking that I can use this to hold the engine and the tranny and I'd be able to wheel it around. It think I might need some wood to close up the open space in the dolly.

So I'd place the dolly under the engine and place a jack under the transmission and another jack under the front cross member.

Then I was going to unbolt the tranny mount, and then unbolt the front cross member. At that point the engine and tranny should be free. I didn't see any upper engine mounts..

I should be able to lower the engine and tranny onto the dolly and then wheel it around any where I want.

So my question is, do you think this will work? Do you see any problems with my plan ?
arren123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 01:14 AM   #2
SporTi

Default Might be too complicated

I have actually swapped whole engine/trannies including subframe and front struts before. It is a fairly easy thing to do.

BIG WARNING: IF THERE ARE BOLTS BETWEEN THE TRANNY AND ENGINE (I.E. TORQUE CONVERTER) WHICH NEED TO BE ACCESSED THROUGH THE INSPECTION PLATE ON THE BOTTOM FRONT OF THE TRANNY, TAKE THEM OUT NOW!! I HAVEN'T WORKED ON AN AUTOMATIC 318, BUT PAST EXPERIENCE IS THAT THERE ARE FOUR BOLTS HOLDING THE TORQUE CONVERTER TO THE FLYWHEEL. IF YOU PULL THE TRANNY OFF WITHOUT TAKING THE TORQUE CONVERTER LOOSE FROM THE FLYWHEEL, YOU GET A MESS OF FLUID EVERYWHERE. ALSO YOU WONT HAVE ACCESS TO GET TO THESE BOLTS ONCE IT IS SITTING ON THE GROUND.

You may be making the whole job too complex. I would do the following:

1) Make sure all other connections are clear (rear tranny mounts, wires, shifter linkage, tranny cooling lines, etc.)

2)Center your jack under the subframe and jack it up until you are supporting the weight

3) Put your moving dolly (Go to HarborFreight if you have one) or any other roll around/slide around item under the tranny. Most of the weight will end up on the jack anyway.

4) Unbolt the subframe and lower it all straight down.

5) Pull straight forward until you are clear of the car.

If you need to, you can use a second jack to tip the front of the car further up for clearence. Just don't tip it off your jackstands!!!! After that, you can use the jack to drag it into the garage.

To get your jack back, move the eng/tran to where you want. Jack it up some and stack 2x4 under both ends of the subframe, then lower it down.

At this point, you can get a moving dolly or something if you want it to remain mobile. I don't know how much weight they hold. I'm not sure why you need it mobile. I would just strip off the tranny if you are selling seperate and leave them in place. The buyer will need a cherry picker to lift the engine anyway.

Hope this helps.
SporTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 08:22 PM   #3
arren123

Thanks for the excellent advice !
Your plan seems a little simpler than mine.

I looked through the inspection plate on Sunday and I saw about three bolt heads in there, but they were more towards the center and it didn't really look like I could fit a wrench in there.

I think I'll take my chances of transmission fluid spilling out everywhere. I just ordered the tools yesterday. I hope they get here before the weekend.

I had to order a Deep Well 7/8 " Impact Socket to remove the cross member bolts. The regular 7/8" socket wasn't deep enough.
The SAE socket seemed to fit more snug than the metric socket.

I hope those will come off with my impact gun. I tried to turn the ones for the rear cross member and they were on pretty tight.
Old 09-08-2006, 02:56 PM   #4
arren123

Default Lifting an engine.

Ok.. thanks to the excellent advice, I was able to remove the engine. I found a buyer and he is going to pick it up this weekend.

He will have a pickup truck and I do not have any lifting tools.
Do you think we can lift the engine up into the truck with 4 or 5 guys ?
I'm not sure how much the engine weighs.

The only other thing I can think of is using some sort of ramp. The engine is sitting on a dolly right now and is pretty mobile. The only problem is that the ramp would have to be pretty long.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Arren