318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Misc

Notices

Misc Does not fit in any of the forums below.

» Recent Threads
looove
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
Last post by RichardBug
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
0 Replies, 1,497 Views
Brakes - soft pedal and...
04-14-2024 01:02 PM
Last post by bcp
04-14-2024 01:09 PM
1 Replies, 2,387 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 07-11-2007, 07:20 PM   #1
UGU

Exclamation Help! Car won't start up after washing-2

Hi All,

I have posted my problem few days ago in the following thread under Electrical: http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=16933

I'm not exactly sure which Forum I should post the update to, so in order to get more feedback I'm submitting it under here. Here is what happened after the initial start-up problem:

I have checked the ecu compartment as bluebimma suggested. There is no water at all, ecu compartment is dry and covered with dust. I also took out some of the relays to inspect them although I couldn't check the resistances since I couldn't find the resistance information. Yesterday, we towed the car with ropes to a very short distance (almost a quarter mile from one parking lot to another). During the towing, key was in position II.

Today, I went to check the fault code from the On Board Diagnostics with pressing the gas pedal 5 times and counting the blinking of the "check engine light" technique. Before that, I tried to start up the car, it didn't start, but this time I heard the fuel pump! OBD gave the code 1444, which means there's no problem. However, the car still fails to start up, although now I can hear the fuel pump when I turn the key to position II.

I was going to order the fuel pump, fuel filter from koperformance online, but now I doubt if that's the problem. How can the pump start working again all of a sudden? Does anybody have any idea what the problem may be?
UGU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 07:25 PM   #2
ATF

Not a clue to what your problem is, but you shouldn't have towed your car like that.

Good luck

BMWCCA #403399
2012 Mini Cooper S Clubman, 6-Speed
Loaded
2001 325xi, Winter Package, 5-Speed
Traded
1998 318ti, Active, Automatic, TOTAL LOSS R.I.P. 10/20/08
Bilstein Sport Shocks/Struts . H&R Sport Springs . Strut Reinforcement Plates . RSM Reinforcement Plates . Fogg Airbox . X-Brace . Bosal Brospeed Catback
ATF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 07:34 PM   #3
Bluebimma

Have you checked to make sure youre getting spark?

1998 Schwartz II sport 318ti - M50TUB25/5
Bluebimma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 07:42 PM   #4
AlaskaBlue

Could it be as simple as a sketchy ground? I would check all of the simple things first if you haven't already.

The only time that my car did anything like that was the other day when I was messing around with EWS-II. I unplugged it and the car just clicked, but no starting. Re-plugged it in again same thing happened. Disconnect battery try again and everything was dandy. It might be a long shot, but I would look into that too.

I also have a bentley and electrical diagram for the car if you want them.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:18 PM   #5
UGU

Thanks for the quick responses guys. The starter still engages to startup makes the noise, but the car doesn't ignite or burn fuel.

I don't exactly know how to check the spark and the ground connection. Do you mean the connections to the spark plug, bluebimma?

Before checking the ECU, I took out negative pole connection cable of the battery from the body in order to take out the battery compartment, but I connected (tightened the negative pole connection cable to the car body) it back to where it was. By the way, how do we check the ground, AlaskaBlue? I'm not very familiar with the electrical connections in the car, though I think I can figure it out. I think the diagram may be helpful. How can I get the Bentley and the electrical diagram?

Is there a way to check if the wires going out from battery are working fine? Now, I'm also thinking to check the connections to the spark plugs, maybe they got wet.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:30 PM   #6
AlaskaBlue

Checking grounds is hard. You would have to just go through the car and check by hand to make sure everything is together.

When you go to start the car does it just go click, click, click, click in rapid succession?

http://arcowling.iweb.bsu.edu/bentleybmwservice.pdf

and

well I just realized my electrical trouble shooting is for a 1995 only.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:06 AM   #7
aceyx

You can check if the battery cables by testing the load at the fusebox. There is a positive terminal at the top (if you're standing at the side of the car) to the left of the three-relay box. Ground is bare metal on the chassis--there is a terminal on the same side forward of the strut tower. It's just a bolt to the quarter panel with wires going into it.

Spark you can check using an aptly-named device called a spark tester. They cost about $5 at any auto parts store.
Old 07-15-2007, 07:00 AM   #8
UGU

Thank you all guys for the information. I didn't have time during the week for the car. I will check the connections tomorrow with my voltmeter.

Alaskablue, thanks for the manual. My car is also 1995. My car does more than just clicking, it also turns the alternator, but somehow it either doesn't get fuel or ignite, thus it can't start up.

I will let you know after checking tomorrow.
Old 07-15-2007, 07:16 AM   #9
AlaskaBlue

Ok sounds good and good luck. I will upload the Electrical diagrams tomorrow. Its late here and I am pretty tired.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:25 PM   #10
zboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATF View Post
Not a clue to what your problem is, but you shouldn't have towed your car like that.

Good luck
Why not?
zboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 10:23 PM   #11
surfsessn

Hey... Same, nearly exact problem here!! Lightly washed engine, with engine running... drove the car five miles, parked it for an hour, daughter gets in, cranks it up, drives about 10 miles, parks it, returns in a couple of hours and car refused to start!! The car has now sat for a week mostly due to my lack of available time and it's location. I've checked all fuses, but have no way or knowledge to check relays (which I kinda doubt it's a relay anyway)...

OK, the engine is getting spark. I sprayed a blast of starting fluid into intake box and she fires up, runs for a few seconds and then dies. Now, the fuel pump: I could NOT here it come on. I tried listening while having someone else turned over the engine. I then check the connections, one is hot with ignition is on, the other is not, even while engine is turning over. So, there it seems there is NO power getting sent to the fuel pump.

Where to look for what? I hope to god that it's not the ECU... I haven't pulled the battery box yet to take a look. I'm hoping someone might have some other ideas... HELP>> I do NOT want to tow this to my local BMW rip off artist...

Any help will be welcomed...
surfsessn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 10:30 PM   #12
Bluebimma

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfsessn View Post
Hey... Same, nearly exact problem here!! Lightly washed engine, with engine running... drove the car five miles, parked it for an hour, daughter gets in, cranks it up, drives about 10 miles, parks it, returns in a couple of hours and car refused to start!! The car has now sat for a week mostly due to my lack of available time and it's location. I've checked all fuses, but have no way or knowledge to check relays (which I kinda doubt it's a relay anyway)...

OK, the engine is getting spark. I sprayed a blast of starting fluid into intake box and she fires up, runs for a few seconds and then dies. Now, the fuel pump: I could NOT here it come on. I tried listening while having someone else turned over the engine. I then check the connections, one is hot with ignition is on, the other is not, even while engine is turning over. So, there it seems there is NO power getting sent to the fuel pump.

Where to look for what? I hope to god that it's not the ECU... I haven't pulled the battery box yet to take a look. I'm hoping someone might have some other ideas... HELP>> I do NOT want to tow this to my local BMW rip off artist...

Any help will be welcomed...
Might be the fuel pump relay or your cam position sensor.

1998 Schwartz II sport 318ti - M50TUB25/5
Bluebimma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 03:24 AM   #13
surfsessn

...thanks..... It turns out it IS the fuel pump. When I checked to see if the pump was getting power I musta done something wrong... towed it two blocks to the local BMW rip me off mech shop. He called today, confirmed it is the fuel pump. Now the bitch, if he repairs it..$550.00. For me to repair it I've gotta drag/tow it about 10 miles to my house. With the traffic situation around here I've gotta do this either late at night or way early in the morning. If I do this I'll also have to pay the mech for his hour to diagnose and confirm it is the pump.

I kinda wanted to do this job myself ... I can get a good pull from VINES for less than 100 bucks, a new one for about $150.00... then an hour or so should get the job done. I'm still thinking about it... biggest issue is the towing situation, or lack of a good way to do, risking a ticket if the local turd cops pull me for not towing legally.
surfsessn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 12:31 AM   #14
UGU

Smile Final Update

Thanks for all the support guys. I have been busy with the job seeking process, so unfortunately I had to let the car sit and couldn't write an update. Here is what happened:

I have checked relays and tried to start the car a few times, but it didn't work. Finally, I have asked an experienced friend of mine to check it together last week. Today, he tried a few things alone and the car miraculously started! He told me that he was not sure what the problem was. The only thing he tried different than me was to take out the ground connection (right by the fusebox), clean it and put it back. He told me that the ground connection was probably the problem as AlaskaBlue and aceyx suggested. Spark is okay, but I guess I need new spark plugs because I couldn't find any records of replacement from previous owner. They have at least 15000 miles on them. By the way, the fuel pump is working fine.