318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Exterior

Notices

Exterior From spoilers, lights to body kits and window problems.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 100,872 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 63,823 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 61,041 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 01-27-2003, 04:51 PM   #1
zGoldenboy

I have a 95 sport, and the driver-side window just came off track. Has anyone else expierenced this, if so, how much or how easy to fix.......

Thanks
zGoldenboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 05:30 PM   #2
bbnmcas

I just had mine fixed. In fact I'm getting the passenger side fixed today. Get it fixed right the first time. It cost me around $300 to put in a new regulator. Those things pop off some times. Good luck!
bbnmcas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 09:24 PM   #3
Dan Burger

same thing just happened to me...gotta get it fixed next week. I'm just glad the window didn't break!

------------------
Dan B.
'95 Club Sport
Dan Burger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 05:49 AM   #4
StevenTN318

Nice to see I'm not the only one. Mine jumped off last week and i haven't gotten it fixed yet.

------------------
Why look like all my friends at high school and drive a civic, when I can beat them in my TI?
StevenTN318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 04:04 AM   #5
1996 328ti

Vehicles

Check out
http://www.understeer.com/window.shtml .

[This message has been edited by Steven Schlossman (edited 01-31-2003).]
1996 328ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 09:30 PM   #6
caffeinekid

If the window is not going up and down correctly, it's very likely that the regulator has warped or bent and will need to be replaced. It's most likely that the track guide has broken loose and will be lying on the bottom of the door. If this is the case, both will need to be replaced as well as the retainer clips and regulator rivets. The parts should be relatively inexpensive and the labor should take between 1 & 2hrs. You will need to have a riveting tool handy as well since the regulator is riveted into the door frame (as opposed to being secured by bolts).

I ordered that parts and had my technician install everything.

My total cost was a little under $250.00 with my BMW CCA discount on parts.

Here are the part numbers:

51331977609 regulator
51321938884 retainer clip (you'll need 2)
51328146243 guide (if broken)
51321960413 guide felt (if broken)
Unknown - Rivets (you'll need 4)
caffeinekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2003, 10:41 PM   #7
ElementalFiend

This happened to BOTH my windows on the same day, sucks majorly I can't roll them down anymore as I can't afford $600 to fix the damned things.

I called up some shop, Glass Plus or something, a few weeks ago to get them to come fix it, and they told me on the phone it would be $275, so I said okay. The guy comes, spends 60+ minutes "working" then comes back and says he doesn't have the parts to fix it so he simply propped the window up with a bored to keep it from falling down. Then the bastard charged $75 for the labor.
Old 03-12-2003, 12:29 PM   #8
ayton

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElementalFiend
he simply propped the window up with a board to keep it from falling down. Then the bastard charged $75 for the labor.
I'm sorry but that is some funny sh*t right there nothing personal. The service industry really sucks now a days...this is precisely why I don't have mechanic anymore all of the good trustworthy guys are gone nothing but cheating butchers now!
ayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 08:30 PM   #9
Dinoti

;}
How handy are you? Mine went down this winter, with all the New England slat and crap on it, causing it to stick a bit when lowered. I pulled the door panel off to see what happened. The regulator was slightly bent, and the window track was a tad looser than I thought it should be. Every time the window went up then down, it popped out of the track in the front. To fix it, I simply bent the regualtor a bit, back to it's original shape with my hands -- not perfect, but close -- and moved the rear track forward a bit by inserting a rubber plumbing washer as a spacer. Next, I cleaned the tracks as best I could with rag to make sure the window wouldn't grab as it had been. Works fine, now. Don't pay someone to do this until you have tried it. It's a pain, but it's FREE!

Keep the side windows and the weather stripping clean!

Dino
Dinoti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 09:43 PM   #10
jeph23

You know, this is funny, you think this would be a factory recall or something considering it has happened to all of us. Funny thing is, this is my forth time fixing mine. Go figure. I did try to bend mine back in place, and that helped, but only for a short while. I have to just keep getting the new slide clips. I am thinking that BMW messed up when making the door regulators or something. We shouldn't have to replace this stuff every 3 months... It is driving me nuts... I heated my regulator arm with a torch, bent it with plyers and then put on the new slide piece. It was fine after I cleaned it all out and re-greased it, but like I said, 6 months later, here we go again... If anyone knows a sure fire way to fix this thing and keep it fixed, let me know. I have just left it broke for about 4 months now because I am just tired of taking the stupid door apart and wasting my money...
jeph23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 01:04 AM   #11
AJ Quick

This seems to happen to all cars, not just BMWs. I know our old Dodge van's window track would break every few years. It only cost about $35 dollars to get it replaced if you did it yourself. I don't understand why it would cost so much though, it is possible to get the parts and install them yourself to save some money?
AJ Quick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 01:39 PM   #12
jeph23

Well, I know for a fact, that it IS cheaper to fix it yourself then it is to take it in and get fixed. But, I will tell you why it is so expensive. Beings that I have fixed mine three times now. First thing is first, I am not putting down your van or anything, but yes, it is a Dodge Van. Now, these are BMW's. Not that that makes a world of a difference, but just for the simple fact that evidentally they must mix a little gold in with every part they put out or something...lol But anyways, the cheapest, absolute cheapest, that I have found window regulators is for $81. And then the slide runs ya like $3 to $5. Okay, then in order to get the rivet tool to do it right, you either have to buy one, or rent one. I rented mine all three times. There was $20 a pop. So, totally, it has cost me about $315. I am getting really sick and tired of it, but from what I have heard, with these cars, it is just something that we are all going to have to get used to. It is a factory defect, and there is nothing that BMW is going to do about it... Go figure... But, its worth it, I love this car too much to get rid of it because of a window....
jeph23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 11:37 PM   #13
AJ Quick

I don't have a Dodge Van, that was an example from years ago. I work around cars, and I see a lot of vehicles that have broken windows like that. I don't think it is too BMW specific.. but mainly only in power windows.
AJ Quick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 05:45 PM   #14
bmwracefan

I have left and right window regulators that I removed from my 1999 ti race car. In perfect condition. $100.00 each with motors.
bmwracefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 12:07 AM   #15
schussey

It just happened to me this morning- which really sucks because tomarrow I have to drive 6 hours. Oh well....
18'' Ace Wheels • Pirelli P7000 SS Tires • Bosal Brospeed Exhaust • B&M Short Throw Kit • H&R Sport Springs • Euro Clears • cat delete • Rogue Engineering Clutch Stop • Modded Airbox • blacked out kidney grilles • Suede Headliner/A Pillars

S52 CONVERSION UNDERWAY
schussey is offline   Reply With Quote