318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Lounge

Notices

Lounge Temporary forum until new sections are suggested.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 994,560 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 02-08-2008, 08:06 PM   #1
JPerfect

Default Mac vs. PC

So I've always been a PC guy, having made a decent sum of money in high school building them, selling them, and fixing them. I absolutely HATED Mac computers.

Well needless to say, as a graphic/web designer and photographer, I've come across many a Mac that I needed to know how to use in different situations. I came to like the user interface, and the fact that everything seemed to always work, without having to waste time tinkering.

Eventually I grew to adore Macs, and by impulse bought one that came in the mail yesterday. A brand new 24" iMac.

This thing is SICK.

I actually don't like using my PC anymore.

Any other Mac people out there?
JPerfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 08:27 PM   #2
BakeR318

I've been a PC guy from the start because of how easy it is to customize your machine for your specific needs, but like yourself I'm entering the field of graphic design and fine arts photography and its looking more like purchasing a Mac is in the near future. I'll always like PC's for their variable configuration and gaming performance, but the ease that Mac's offer is too good to pass by. I guess I'm on the fence about this one, but if I could I'd choose both. Cheers!
Old 02-08-2008, 08:34 PM   #3
naustin

I was always a Mac guy. But when i started college i was an engineer so i needed a pc, and i hated life for 2 years. Then my Sony died after 2 short years and i got a macbook (yay). I see no reason to own a pc any more to be honest. With the switch to Intel you can run both operating systems flawlessly (my windows on the mac is faster than my pc was). Sure you'll pay a little more for the Mac, but it is well worth it. I'll never buy another PC.

FB
naustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 08:38 PM   #4
BakeR318

Oh yeah, I meant to mention it in my previous post. Theres an article out there somewhere that compares the Windows running system on something like 5 PC's and one Mac. After the test the machine that ran Windows best was the Mac.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:41 PM   #5
John Firestone

I have and use two Macs and two PCs. (I happen to be typing this on one of the PCs running Vista.) Macs are very nice when you like or need to get things done.
John Firestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 09:53 PM   #6
zboot

I'm a PC guy. It's not that I think there is fundamentally something better about the platform, but for the most part, the PC works for my life a lot better.

When I was (haha, only a few years) younger, gaming, running all sorts of esotheric applications, playing around with all sorts of non microsoft and definitely non-apple supported hardware, the PC was my friend.

Now most of my usage is either reading/email/websurfing or hardcore engineering design work. For me, the PC is my friend. I currently have the thinkpad x60 tablet. It is awesome. I've kinda wanted a touch interface on my laptop for a while but didn't want to goto a full tablet device. this is a convertible, laptop when I want it, tablet when I want it.

I keep telling my Apple buddies, if they ever make an awesome convertible laptop (given that Apple now makes devices with x86 processors), they may have a chance at capturing my business. I like functionality a lot more than I like form, but one reason I have a thinkpad versus something else is that it provides a great blend of quality, performance, usability (relative to my life), cost, and style that I like. Apple's current lineup offers me quality, performance, and style, but not enough of the other two to make it worth my while.
zboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 10:23 PM   #7
tiFreak

Vehicles

I have a PC, I do prefer PCs over Macs but my PC is about 5-6 years old, and it is sloooooooow...
tiFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 11:10 PM   #8
cali-ti
aka Stabby

used macs since 1989, when i started doing mac support/repair. worked as part of a 4-person mac support team supporting approximately 1600 macs (try to find any wintel support organization that has a 400:1 support ratio) and this was back in the mac os 8/9 days. mac os x is awesome. i'm loving the new macbook pro 17" my work just got me: 4GB ram, 1920x1200 hi-res screen, 2.6GHz core 2 duo, 200GB 7200 rpm disk ... pretty much fully pimped

it's nice ripping/encoding my music collection while doing my working within a virtual machine running 'doze (to keep the evil contained).
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 11:11 PM   #9
zboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali-ti View Post
used macs since 1989, when i started doing mac support/repair. worked as part of a 4-person mac support team supporting approximately 1600 macs (try to find any wintel support organization that has a 400:1 support ratio) and this was back in the mac os 8/9 days. mac os x is awesome. i'm loving the new macbook pro 17" my work just got me: 4GB ram, 1920x1200 hi-res screen, 2.6GHz core 2 duo, 200GB 7200 rpm disk ... pretty much fully pimped

it's nice ripping/encoding my music collection while doing my working within a virtual machine running 'doze (to keep the evil contained).
I'd say the IT guy at my last job probably met or exceeded your wintel challenge.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:52 PM   #10
CirrusSR22

MAC guy strictly. My family got our first computer in the late 1980's; an Apple IIGS Woz Edition. I've been a MAC fan ever since. My current 1.25ghz eMac is over 3 years old and has NEVER crashed.
CirrusSR22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 12:01 AM   #11
zboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CirrusSR22 View Post
MAC guy strictly. My family got our first computer in the late 1980's; an Apple IIGS Woz Edition. I've been a MAC fan ever since. My current 1.25ghz eMac is over 3 years old and has NEVER crashed.
You're the exception. I've had PCs that went for that long without crashing too.

However, my buddy's macbook pro seems to suffer crashes particularly when I'm around (perhaps they sense my mac-sarcasm). I always poke fun at the supposed superior "intuitiveness" and other stuff with the apple products that he has. (He knows that I really don't care and would use Apple if I found it to be a superior and cost effective solution). I do the same to my buddies who are heavily in linux land too (same disclaimer applies).
Old 02-09-2008, 01:51 AM   #12
marleymon

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPerfect View Post
So I've always been a PC guy, having made a decent sum of money in high school building them, selling them, and fixing them. I absolutely HATED Mac computers.

Well needless to say, as a graphic/web designer and photographer, I've come across many a Mac that I needed to know how to use in different situations. I came to like the user interface, and the fact that everything seemed to always work, without having to waste time tinkering.

Eventually I grew to adore Macs, and by impulse bought one that came in the mail yesterday. A brand new 24" iMac.

This thing is SICK.

I actually don't like using my PC anymore.

Any other Mac people out there?
ha !! mac here too.

Ive had my quicksilver since feb. o1, same month I bought my ti now that I think about it.
I got a dual G4 and the thing is badass. I had to update to X a while back. Ive had no problems at all except a power supply failure due to an outage.
I also added ram. I can run multiple programs with no delays. EVERYTHING is plug and play.
Who wants to mess with antivirus and all that bs anyways?
I picked up harmon/kardon soundsticks...thumpers...

nice pick-up...
Old 02-09-2008, 03:16 AM   #13
JPerfect

wow, nice lots of replies.

I see we have a diverse group here of macs and pcs.

One thing I really like, is how easy it is to video chat, screen share, and file swap. My aunt is totally clueless and I was able to send her a file, connect to her computer, put it in the right spot, and open it, showing her how to use it in a matter of about two minutes.

Amazing. Totally beats phone support

Not saying that it's not possible on a PC, but on a Mac it's much easier and more convenient.
JPerfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 03:55 AM   #14
zboot

I totally wish there was a good video chat app for the PC. I use my IM clients but I bet a standalone app that could interface with the IM client protocols could do a better job.
Old 02-09-2008, 07:48 AM   #15
minicoop900

i have pc's, built them all, except my 2 laptops

my desktop is a beast and super fast. i use it for gaming, and music stuff.

i have an asus eee pc, its a laptop, cheap, and great for hacking, not that i hack.

its got a 4 gig hard drive and 512 of ram and cost $399, and comes pre-loaded with linux, which i have partioned onto all my hard drives.

^being rebuilt^

until then:
daily car:
96' Blue DASC'd ti with koni coilovers
slowly progressing...
weekend car:
85 1/2' 944 Porsche
no a/c, p/s, gutted cat, loud as hell exhaust, loud as hell sound system
minicoop900 is offline   Reply With Quote