318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Induction

Notices

Induction Superchargers, NO2 and turbos.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by kupkake303
Yesterday 06:12 PM
211 Replies, 1,307,884 Views
1999 M3 Swap
09-07-2023 10:10 PM
Last post by buzzboy
05-02-2024 08:18 PM
6 Replies, 405,083 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 12-06-2008, 08:37 PM   #76
nc_bboy

Hey guys, I don't come here often but I seen this thread and wanted to add in on this. These motors can take alot of abuse. I can't remember where I read it but I know this one guy made around 600whp and around 650 lbs of tq on his M42 motor. He did a complete rebuild and stroked the motor. Theres another guy from M42club.com, his username is Ludiagsm, but I believe he's running mid 12s with his turbocharged E36 318is m42. I haven't read his thread in a while but I think he was making around 400whp. I might have to recheck that though. Well heres his thread of his build. I think it'll help with the option of what you can do to tune the M42. I know I've seen many people having problems tuning the M42 but the M44 is easier. Or atleast thats what it seems like everytime I read the failed threads of those trying to turbo the M42.
http://m42club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2404

BTW you need to be a member if you want to view the pictures. Also he has videos on youtube. I'm pretty sure most of you guys have probably ran across them though. HOPE THIS HELPS!!! and the PROJECT LOOKS GREAT.
nc_bboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 06:32 PM   #77
Turboready

nc_bboy thanks for the compliments and the input. I am aware of the fact that the m42 can make decent HP if built for it and FI job done flawlessly. This is what I am doing for the 95 ti I have for a friend. We finished the head, held back from the block since I wanted to have an O ring job done on it.

I was close to purchasing the O ring grooving tool but after looking at the design, I thought of a better concept for the BMW's. After a few minutes of thinking I came up with an idea and went ahead getting parts and making parts to build it. Since some of the BMW engines are tucked so close to the fire wall, doing an O Ring job on a block while it's in the car will be a challenge, until I came up with my design.

The concept grooving tool I am making will use a socket on the center which will allow me to use a speed socket drive, any extensions for height as the rotational drive for the tool.

The tool will rotate on 4 ball bearings on the surfce of the block instead on soild pins like the original one. This will prevent scratching of the cylinder/head gasket surface, reduce friction and will provide a very accurate groove depth.

I will machine full size Teflon sleeves for the specific cylinder bore sizes for the tool to rotate on, instead of 4 oblong metal shims which can mar the cylinder linings. The full Teflon sleeves will also maintain a very accurate circular grooves around the top of the cylinder.

To further explain, I am using parts from a metal lathe, 3 jaw self centering scroll chuck, a parting blade, parting blade holder and a dove tail holder for a lathe. I cut the dove tail off with my band saw and milled the cut to super flat finish. I milled the chuck to precisely fit the holder after which it will be tig welded in place. The chuck will have 4 small roller bearings precisely machined into axles which will be accurately machined into it at exact heights.

Here are some pics illustrating the grooving tool in progress. The bearings are not machines in as yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name:	Milling blade holder.jpg Views:	128 Size:	55.4 KB ID:	7253   Click image for larger version Name:	Measurements and test cut.jpg Views:	125 Size:	70.9 KB ID:	7254   Click image for larger version Name:	test fit.jpg Views:	119 Size:	74.1 KB ID:	7255  

Click image for larger version Name:	test fit2.jpg Views:	117 Size:	66.1 KB ID:	7256   Click image for larger version Name:	golden cut.jpg Views:	114 Size:	51.4 KB ID:	7257  
Turboready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 06:36 PM   #78
Turboready

Here are some mock up pics of how the tool will fit the cyliner and how the blade will be aligned to cu the O ring grooves on the block. Remember that the surface bearings and tool sleeves are not machined as yet and are not shown.

I have to grind the blade to the specific size of O ring wire diameter as well 0.030"

I will complete those and post pics soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name:	Grooving tool in Cylinder.jpg Views:	144 Size:	79.3 KB ID:	7258   Click image for larger version Name:	Bllade close up 2.jpg Views:	139 Size:	64.9 KB ID:	7259   Click image for larger version Name:	Blade Clos up.jpg Views:	124 Size:	69.3 KB ID:	7260  

Old 12-07-2008, 06:38 PM   #79
rik89

mate you're a legend
I love innovative engineering like this,
you planning on fabbing any parts of the engine?
rik89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 06:58 PM   #80
Turboready

Here is a BMW 318is with an M42 which was turbocharged two years ago. The guys who did it had the car for 6 moths rebuilding the engine and boosting it. After they were done the car would not idle and would only run if the throttle was held above 3,500 RPM. They had four mechanics look at it before the owner got frustrated and nearly $ 10,000 after, brought it to me.

After the car came to us and looking at it for an hour I discovered that the bolts they used on the turbine outlet to the down pipe bottomed out 1/16 of an inch. This space allowed atmospheric air to enter the exhaust stream signaling the O2 sensor and computer to crank up the duty cycle of the injectors, so fuel was now literally pouring out his exhaust and flooding the engine.

The poor car went through some manifold issues which I could not do at the time since my place was under construction. It's now back for a few issues, starter, turbo oil return line leak, profile gasket floating around inside the valve cover, OMG, and few other things.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name:	BMW 318is.jpg Views:	189 Size:	97.3 KB ID:	7261   Click image for larger version Name:	BMW31is 1.jpg Views:	160 Size:	89.1 KB ID:	7262   Click image for larger version Name:	BMW31is 1 (1).jpg Views:	172 Size:	97.8 KB ID:	7263  

Old 12-07-2008, 07:08 PM   #81
Turboready

Quote:
Originally Posted by rik89 View Post
mate you're a legend
I love innovative engineering like this,
you planning on fabbing any parts of the engine?
Rik, many thanks for the kind words, however I see myself far from being a legend It's a great feeling when someone can recognize the work involved to fab tools and parts like that, much appreciated Rik.

I had fabbed some external parts for the 318is m42 engine. As for internals, no plans as yet though that can change should the need arise. We will start rebuilding the block this week.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:02 AM   #82
lpcapital

Where are you sourcing the oil and returning it to for the turbine? Thanks

2003 Z4 2.5i
2002 Ducati Monster S4
lpcapital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 07:28 AM   #83
dave45056

nice thread... I lik what you have done... I was curious, though... what kind of HG will you be using? And what is your target compression ratio?
dave45056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 06:41 AM   #84
Turboready

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpcapital View Post
Where are you sourcing the oil and returning it to for the turbine? Thanks
Will post pics and explanation for you.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:49 AM   #85
Turboready

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave45056 View Post
nice thread... I lik what you have done... I was curious, though... what kind of HG will you be using? And what is your target compression ratio?
Thanks Dave. Since I will be O ringing the block, I will go with the thicker OEM HG clamping it with some ARP HS

Compression ratio will be around 10.0 to 1. With the SDS extra boost injector controller and two high volume Bosch injectors we should be good for half decent boost. The boosted 318is in my garage has the same fuel management unit and it works really well. I will use Mark D's chip to retard timing along with some chip tuning. I am a dealer here for his software and we will work remotely on the ignition side of it. Eventually I would like to convert the engine to Mega Squirt V III
Old 12-09-2008, 06:54 AM   #86
lpcapital

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboready View Post
Will post pics and explanation for you.
Thanks for that. I'm actually looking into adding an oil cooler on an M44, but I wanna make sure I interfere the least possible with the oil pressure & filtration getting to the engine.

2003 Z4 2.5i
2002 Ducati Monster S4
Old 01-07-2009, 08:29 PM   #87
lpcapital

Any update on this turbo

2003 Z4 2.5i
2002 Ducati Monster S4
Old 01-14-2009, 10:49 PM   #88
lpcapital

No really, what happed... Is it just another Turrbobust? I thought the guy was Turboready...

Jocking aside (sorry, I couldn't resist, don't take it personal, pls...) but this one looked like everything was figured out, ready to be putted together; what went wrong?

I guss I just gotta hope xxxJonnyBoyxxx doesn't get what he's looking for with the DASC...

2003 Z4 2.5i
2002 Ducati Monster S4
Old 01-14-2009, 11:24 PM   #89
rik89

yea has been a while, wud like to know what happened
???
rik89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 04:38 AM   #90
dguzzardo22

bump for a turbo thread or at leat something that i thought would be a good one.