318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Suspension

Notices

Suspension Springs, sway bars, shocks.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
Today 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 942,126 Views
looove
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
Last post by RichardBug
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
0 Replies, 1,627 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 03-13-2007, 02:09 AM   #1
Tyler
TRETEN IRGENDEINES ESELS

Default Lost a sway bar bracket.

I've been hearing a weird noise coming from the front of my car lately. So i took the front tires off and checked things out and noticed a problem on the passenger side. The sway bar bracket was missing so that explained the thump noise i heard. Problem is that it looks like the mount is almost rusted away and i need to cut out the old mount and weld a new one in then put the new bracket on. Kind of sucks but i hope it fixes 2 problems the thump and a noise i think is caused by the bracket being off, kind of a high pitched sound. I'm hoping thats caused by it vibrating while driving. Just got to go to the dealer and get a couple brackets and do both sides along with replacing the rubber padding.
clear outs all around,stealth turning signals,blue led interior lights, 35% tinted windows,K&N air filter, 12" Kenwood Sub, MTX Thunder Amp,Alpine cd changer, Leatherz Armrest,ACS Pedals/Handbrake/FloorMats & Vitesse Tuning Carbon Fiber B-Pillars/CF Spark Plug Cover, New 16" MSW Typer 14 Rims on Goodyear Triple Treds

www.myspace.com/avusblueti
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 02:14 AM   #2
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
I've been hearing a weird noise coming from the front of my car lately. So i took the front tires off and checked things out and noticed a problem on the passenger side. The sway bar bracket was missing so that explained the thump noise i heard. Problem is that it looks like the mount is almost rusted away and i need to cut out the old mount and weld a new one in then put the new bracket on. Kind of sucks but i hope it fixes 2 problems the thump and a noise i think is caused by the bracket being off, kind of a high pitched sound. I'm hoping thats caused by it vibrating while driving. Just got to go to the dealer and get a couple brackets and do both sides along with replacing the rubber padding.
I just did this. My website is down at the moment, once it's up I'll do a quick write up for you.

'99 Dinan M3
DustenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 02:30 AM   #3
Tyler
TRETEN IRGENDEINES ESELS

What size replacement bushings should i get? I see two different sizes available for the ti, 24mm and 26mm.
clear outs all around,stealth turning signals,blue led interior lights, 35% tinted windows,K&N air filter, 12" Kenwood Sub, MTX Thunder Amp,Alpine cd changer, Leatherz Armrest,ACS Pedals/Handbrake/FloorMats & Vitesse Tuning Carbon Fiber B-Pillars/CF Spark Plug Cover, New 16" MSW Typer 14 Rims on Goodyear Triple Treds

Old 03-13-2007, 02:40 AM   #4
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

My sway bar mounts were rusted as well, I had to cut grind them off and replace with new ones. They are available at the dealership for like $20/each. This is not for the weak at heart, it's a huge pain in the a55.

This is what the sway bar mount looks like with the sway bar attached:
Click image for larger version Name:	DSCF4174.jpg Views:	1131 Size:	74.7 KB ID:	3382

This is what was hidden underneath!!
Click image for larger version Name:	DSCF4179.jpg Views:	1294 Size:	76.1 KB ID:	3383

Take a sawzall and get prepared to stretch into awkward positions to get it cut down to this. This took about 1 hour:
Click image for larger version Name:	DSCF4189.jpg Views:	1331 Size:	61.4 KB ID:	3384

I have a 4 1/2" angle grinder (Bosch!), use that to grind the rest of the steel mount down to bare metal:
Click image for larger version Name:	DSCF4191.jpg Views:	1202 Size:	53.6 KB ID:	3385

This is the new mount, grind the edges to you'll get a sweet weld on it.
Click image for larger version Name:	DSCF4193.jpg Views:	1199 Size:	93.2 KB ID:	3386

....5 picture limit.....see the next post....

'99 Dinan M3
Old 03-13-2007, 02:45 AM   #5
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

continued from above....

This is my work area, big friggin' mess:
Click image for larger version Name:	DSCF4195.jpg Views:	962 Size:	75.2 KB ID:	3387

Weld the new mount onto the car, and then coat with rubberized undercoating to cover up your ugly ass welds.
Click image for larger version Name:	DSCF4196.jpg Views:	1106 Size:	49.1 KB ID:	3388
Click image for larger version Name:	DSCF4197.jpg Views:	982 Size:	84.6 KB ID:	3389

This is how the mount came out, looks of pieces:
Click image for larger version Name:	DSCF4199.jpg Views:	980 Size:	91.5 KB ID:	3390

Total time spent: 6 hours.

'99 Dinan M3
Old 03-13-2007, 02:46 AM   #6
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Quote:
What size replacement bushings should i get? I see two different sizes available for the ti, 24mm and 26mm.
26mm if you have the factory sport suspension. 24mm if you have the stock non-sport suspension. Don't run 24mm bushings with 26mm bars.

'99 Dinan M3
Old 03-13-2007, 02:52 AM   #7
Tyler
TRETEN IRGENDEINES ESELS

Thanks for the pics,write up, i'm really not looking foward to doing it but i can't drive it like this, well i could but it will only damage it more. I have an active so the 24mm should be the ones for me.

Old 03-13-2007, 03:32 AM   #8
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Quote:
Thanks for the pics,write up, i'm really not looking foward to doing it but i can't drive it like this, well i could but it will only damage it more. I have an active so the 24mm should be the ones for me.
You probably aren't going to damage anything by driving with it like that. I did for like 4 months because it was too cold to lay on the cold concrete.

'99 Dinan M3
Old 03-13-2007, 05:39 AM   #9
SlickmisterN

Oh man that sucks about the front mount. I just saw a black slightly lowered Mustang GT on the freeway, and his f&%#en rear aftermarket bright red sway bar was hanging on the ground spurting sparks all over the road. It was acting like a friction brake. So get up next to the guy and try to get his attention but this young man was riding sooo low inside he could just barely see over the steering wheel. I'm just starring at him (straight freeway) with no particular expression on my face and finally the kid looks at me, so i point to the rear of his car and this fool jams down into 3rd and zoops a few car lengths ahead.

Just before I got off the freeway I noticed the entire passenger side of his huge sway bar came detatched from the mount so then it was like a jumping snake behind his, car scraping the entire underside and parts of the back of his bumper. I tried to help, but after situations like that I figure why bother. Good luck on the fix. PS IMO more damge may be caused by driving it, don't sways add to the integrity of the chasis?
Old 12-05-2007, 02:00 AM   #10
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

LEFT STABILIZER SUPPORT 41118151121 $23.44
RIGHT STABILIZER SUPPORT 41118151122 $23.44

'99 Dinan M3
Old 12-10-2007, 08:50 PM   #11
thesk8nmidget

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickmisterN View Post
Oh man that sucks about the front mount. I just saw a black slightly lowered Mustang GT on the freeway, and his f&%#en rear aftermarket bright red sway bar was hanging on the ground spurting sparks all over the road. It was acting like a friction brake. So get up next to the guy and try to get his attention but this young man was riding sooo low inside he could just barely see over the steering wheel. I'm just starring at him (straight freeway) with no particular expression on my face and finally the kid looks at me, so i point to the rear of his car and this fool jams down into 3rd and zoops a few car lengths ahead.

Just before I got off the freeway I noticed the entire passenger side of his huge sway bar came detatched from the mount so then it was like a jumping snake behind his, car scraping the entire underside and parts of the back of his bumper. I tried to help, but after situations like that I figure why bother. Good luck on the fix. PS IMO more damge may be caused by driving it, don't sways add to the integrity of the chasis?
hahaha oh god!!

and good work dusten!
Current- 1995 318ti, sport model, schwartz
thesk8nmidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 11:28 PM   #12
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

Excellent writeup Dusten. I'll be doing this when I have my engine out here in a couple weeks. My car came from Michigan, but it's not quite as bad as yours was. I'm getting a little shake while turning left at speed. I'll probably replace the ball joints and LCABs while I'm at it. Then once the motors back in, I'll take it in for an alignment.

Did you have any problems aligning the new brackets in the exact location as the old ones?
Old 01-31-2008, 12:13 AM   #13
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljess76 View Post

Did you have any problems aligning the new brackets in the exact location as the old ones?
Nope.

'99 Dinan M3
Old 01-31-2008, 12:20 AM   #14
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

Sweet man, your writeup is really helpful. Thanks!

It should be a breeze, since I'll have the whole front end dismantled. Figure I might as well do this repair while everything is out and I could just squat in the engine bay instead of welding on my back. +1 on the rubberized undercoating. Wouldn't want to do this twice.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:54 PM   #15
Rami93

Quote:
Where did you get the supports?
Rami93 is offline   Reply With Quote