318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Maintenance

Notices

Maintenance Service Interval questions, oil change info.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,002,056 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 06-21-2010, 08:36 AM   #106
E36Wes

Ahh Very Interesting. So it is indeed an M42! Therefore I dont need the part that goes on the back of the motor.

I wonder how hard it is to get the manifold off...
E36Wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:40 AM   #107
CirrusSR22

Here's a picture of an E30 with the M42 engine.

http://www.e30zone.net/e30zonewiki/index.php/M42

And the diagram w/ part number (11531714738) for the block connector.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...54&hg=11&fg=10
CirrusSR22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:43 AM   #108
E36Wes

I see, I guess the vlave cover looks the same. I will be ripping my intake manifold out sending the injectors out to be cleaned and replace a ton of parts. Hopefully it will be running much smoother afterwards! Thanks for you help CirrusSr22
E36Wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:57 PM   #109
geetarspaz

Vehicles

looks like i've gotta replace the front one. my coolant is leaking pretty bad on my driveway.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name:	image.jpg Views:	377 Size:	67.0 KB ID:	12091  
geetarspaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:53 AM   #110
spidertri

Vehicles

That's the thermostat, it's easy to swap out.

98 328ti Morea Grun slicktop
11 128i space gray slicktop
13 JGC WK2 Deep Cherry

Search | RealOEM
spidertri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:55 AM   #111
geetarspaz

Vehicles

Is that what you think Is leaking. My driveway has spots all over :/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1325638503.737195.jpg Views:	222 Size:	94.8 KB ID:	12094  
Old 01-04-2012, 02:00 AM   #112
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by geetarspaz View Post
looks like i've gotta replace the front one. my coolant is leaking pretty bad on my driveway.
FWIW as Dave mentioned, that's the thermostat, not one of the plastic fittings described in this thread. It would be wise to replace your water pump at the same time since you're going to be opening the coolant loop and will need to bleed the air out of the system afterwards. Especially since you already suspect your water pump bearing is going bad as noted in another thread
cooljess76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:01 AM   #113
cooljess76

Quote:
Is that what you think Is leaking.
You posted a picture of it. Do YOU think it's leaking?
Old 01-04-2012, 02:06 AM   #114
geetarspaz

Vehicles

It IS leaking haha. I think that and the water pump noise are related
Old 01-04-2012, 03:01 AM   #115
Mopho

Just turned 160K, still have the old fitting on the side....I just can't take the time or afford a rental to have someone else do it... So I'll keep gambling... I don't drive that far from home, so I am just going to keep an eye on it.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:52 PM   #116
geetarspaz

Vehicles

Jess may kill for posting another photo but this is really worth setting.

This stain was not here last night before I drove my car. Obviously I guess driving it with that minor coolant leak really screwed something up. Just took this now and it's like sprayed all over somehow? Wild!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1325713893.189627.jpg Views:	261 Size:	57.5 KB ID:	12114  
Old 01-04-2012, 11:42 PM   #117
cooljess76

How does your coolant level look? Reason I ask is because if coolant is coming out, then air is going in. Back when I had a cracked radiator, I was losing coolant like crazy, but couldn't tell where it was going. Everyone was telling me that I had a blown HG, but there was no evidence of such. One day I rigged up an old radiator cap to a bike pump and pressurized the system to about 5 psi. I did this in my garage with the engine off so I could hear hissing and find out where the coolant was leaking from. Turns out my radiator had a hairline crack that was covered by the expansion tank. You could try something similar, or you could just let the car run until it reaches operating temperature and try to see if you can find where it's leaking from.

Might just be a good time to replace the entire cooling system
http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=18066

I know it sounds like a lot, but there's a couple other things you can do while you're at it that will make things easier and save you time and money later down the road. First, if you're replacing the two plastic coolant fittings described in this thread, you don't have to remove the intake manifold to access the octopus fitting on the driver's side of the engine block. A lot of people remove the intake manifold and end up with bigger problems than the one they were trying to address initially. Instead, remove the alternator and the oil filter housing. The reason I suggest this is because the oil filter housing has a paper gasket and two o-rings that are known to leak. Doing this will not only give you the opportunity to replace those items, it'll also give you access to the plastic coolant fitting without having to remove the intake manifold.

The other thing, if you're replacing the plastic "Y" fitting on the back of the head by the firewall, it's a good time to replace your valve cover gasket and spark plug seals. While you have the valve cover off, it's also a good idea to clean out the orifice towards the back that the CCV hose attaches to. Removing the valve cover will give you more room to fit your hand/tools behind the engine.

The cooling system on our cars is known to trap air. Especially when there's a leak or if you open the coolant loop to replace a part. Trapped air will work it's way into the radiator which will eventually cause vapor-lock(air-lock). Vapor-lock prevents coolant from circulating through the engine and heater core. It can cause all sorts of issues: fatigue/failure of plastic cooling system parts, fatigue/failure of the head gasket, damage to temp sensors, over pressurization/fatigue on hoses, damage to thermostat, damage to water pump, engine overheating ultimately resulting in a blown head gasket and possibly a warped or cracked head, damaged cylinder walls, pistons, valves etc.

That is why it is extremely important to PROPERLY bleed your cooling system any time you suspect there's air in the system. One symptom linked to air in the system is if the heater doesen't blow hot air. If it blows warm air, you probably have air in the system. if it only blows cold air, then you probably have complete vapor lock. When the engine is at operating temp, the heater should burn your hand if you hold it in front of the vent.

The entire cooling system including the radiator, hoses, water pump, thermostat, plastic fittings and other parts I mentioned could be purchased for under 400 bucks and swapped out over a weekend. This will give you peace of mind that your valve cover won't leak, spark plugs won't be submerged in oil, oil filter housing won't spray oil all over the front of your engine, and your car won't overheat. I'm one of those "while you're in there" "do it right the first time" kinda guys. I don't like doing things over and throwing random parts at a car hoping to fix the problem.

There's an oil filter housing writeup, a valve cover writeup and a cooling system bleed writeup in the knowledge base section.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:02 AM   #118
geetarspaz

Vehicles

jess, for a short answer. the coolant seems to be going down, but its still pretty high. i'll check it during daylight tomorrow because i need to do this fix now. i dont drive it for the time being. thanks for the posts in helping me out with everything. time to get fixing

Last edited by geetarspaz; 01-05-2012 at 04:07 AM.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:59 PM   #119
Mopho

Quote:
jess, for a short answer. the coolant seems to be going down, but its still pretty high. i'll check it during daylight tomorrow because i need to do this fix now. i dont drive it for the time being. thanks for the posts in helping me out with everything. time to get fixing
I think you may have just a water pump problem, it's noisey right? The seal has gone south, so the bearing is exposed, thus, noisey water pump bearing.
That was the first thing I changed on my '96, along with the oil filter housing o-ring seals and gasket. I wish I had known about the block fitting under the intake manifold, I could have changed it then.
When my lower coolant hose went south is when I really opened the can of worms.
Now, I have the head gasket changed, valve job done while head off, and every thing new attached except the stuupid block fitting under the intake.
As posted before, I got in a fight with my mechanic friend that did the valve job for not changing it when he had the head off.
If you have your original radiator, belts or hoses, change them too.
Good on ya for not driving the car, overheating problems from loss of coolant is the only thing that can kill one of these engines. I have 160K and still doesnt use oil. It was never overheated for a long period.
Old 03-31-2012, 02:08 PM   #120
MOTORSPORTti

i hope do not bother guys!!! i got a issue with mine since 2 months a go the temp is going normal when i drive ./ once i get traffic the temp gauge rise a little to 3/4 and later back to the center,(normal) that is a issue what i have to do?
MOTORSPORTti is offline   Reply With Quote