Last post by bcp
04-14-2024 01:09 PM
1 Replies, 2,218 Views
Closed Thread Share/Bookmark

Old 08-25-2006, 02:30 AM   #1
Platanos

Default !996 ti.....Only a feeler....

Hello ti.org,

I have been contemplating selling my ti. I'm just curious as to how much you think I could sell her for? This is only a feeler thread. I don't know what I'm going to do, but I would like to know where you think I stand. Thanks folks!!

1996 base ti
71,xxx miles
No engine mods (yet)

Some pics...

http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=11921

http://318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=9396
Old 08-25-2006, 05:04 AM   #2
drkblu318ti

Well i have 7 to spend! ill give you that cash

(THink your cars worth way more than that though)

Tribute to:
97 318ti Montreal Blue R.I.P
96 318ti Schwartz II
Old 08-25-2006, 01:42 PM   #3
Platanos

I hope that 7 has three zeros behind it...hehe

I'm just looking to see how much I can ask for her.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:11 PM   #4
StealthBimmer

Wow we are starting on the same platform but your ti looks WAY better!!! Unfortunately we will not get back much $$ for the mods on the bimmer. What are you looking to buy?

I've been on the same boat too. Debating about selling it before I go crazy modding it. Looking into another bimmer like an e36, e46, M3 or convertible.

My Ultimate Driving Machines

BMWCCA #369516
http://www.boston-bmwcca.org/
Best MA ti meet pics
Recommended tint place
Old 08-25-2006, 11:54 PM   #5
Platanos

I've been looking for an M3

Is $10,000 to much?

$8,000?

$6,000?

What do you think?
Old 08-26-2006, 12:12 AM   #6
Tyler
TRETEN IRGENDEINES ESELS

I'd start at about 10k if it comes with the wheels,w/o the wheels i'd say $8500. Thats just my personal opinion.
clear outs all around,stealth turning signals,blue led interior lights, 35% tinted windows,K&N air filter, 12" Kenwood Sub, MTX Thunder Amp,Alpine cd changer, Leatherz Armrest,ACS Pedals/Handbrake/FloorMats & Vitesse Tuning Carbon Fiber B-Pillars/CF Spark Plug Cover, New 16" MSW Typer 14 Rims on Goodyear Triple Treds

www.myspace.com/avusblueti
Old 08-26-2006, 02:16 AM   #7
Juni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platanos View Post
I've been looking for an M3

Is $10,000 to much?

$8,000?

$6,000?

What do you think?
In your mind, what is your car worth to you? I was in the same situation, everyone seems to love my car, but when I tell them the price, they all of a sudden lose interest. I was asking 10K for mine, and I was still losing out with all of the mods I put into it. It seems that people want a modded car, for a stock price. I think thats kinda redundant, but if you decide to keep it long enough, we can meet in New York and have a cool photo shoot of two of the hottest ti's on the east coast. Set a price for the car with the mods, and price for it, without them, you cant just go losing all your money. You have to make it up somewhere.
Old 08-26-2006, 02:02 PM   #8
Phil Marx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juni View Post
It seems that people want a modded car, for a stock price.
Set a price for the car with the mods, and price for it, without them, you cant just go losing all your money. You have to make it up somewhere.
Two theories at work here:
Actually, most buyers want an un-modded car in pristine condition for the price of your average beater. Tasteful mods are okay but unless you're talking alloys replacing steel wheels, more often than not, you'll never get the money back that you spend "personalizing" your car. We "mod" these cars for ourselves. Don't do it if you're telling yourself it's an investment. If you need to sell your car, bite the bullet and lose the money you spent on "mods", or remove them and sell them separately.

Ask whatever you want, but realize the market will tell you what your car is worth. If you price it "out of the market" people won't even bother to make an offer. Conversely, never ask what you expect to get because everyone wants to "deal" and expects some compromise or consideration. And then there's what we called the "P.T.Barnum theory of car sales", which is that there is "an ass for every seat". Meaning ultimately, someone will buy just about anything. If you can afford to wait for that one buyer, more power to you. Just sit on your asking price and wait. But you'd better pack a lunch!

And look at the market: Even late '90s BMW 5-Series with around 100k miles are out there for under $10k and they are a great buy for a car that cost sometimes twice what the "ti" sold for new. 7-Series are even better buys relative to their original cost. What I'm saying is there's a lot of competition in the price range you're talking about, even in other BMW models, so don't delude yourself into thinking your car is worth more than it is. If you value it highly, maybe you shouldn't be selling it. If you're a buyer for "a car" rather than a "ti" specifically, then right now the world is your oyster. Hell, even E39 M5s are in the low twenties. I thought my '98 Active ($29k MSRP) was a great buy for my kids two years ago at $5300, and I'd buy another at that price. Beyond that, there are lots of other nice cars to consider.
Closed Thread