318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Engine

Notices

Engine Tuneups, chips, wires, spark plugs.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
Yesterday 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 953,893 Views
looove
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
Last post by RichardBug
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
0 Replies, 1,654 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 04-03-2008, 09:24 AM   #1
BMVUS

Default CLEANING ENGINE BAY

Hey guys, I had a look through other peoples post's but i'm going to ask anywayz hehe hopefully have some fresh information! i want to give my engine bay a really good thorough clean, pretty much have the thing looking new again. I was going to use degreaser or a detergent and a high pressure washer. Any do's or dont's? What parts of the engine should I cover up (not to get wet) before washing?

Thanks guys

Dave - a.k.a BM-V-US
BMVUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 12:32 PM   #2
marko

Use Gunk, it works well.. but make sure you tape off ALL the electrical conections that you can reach, control modules, etc.
Also, make sure you dont get water in the spark plug holes.
marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 01:27 PM   #3
teetime4one

Vehicles

cover the alternator

Sean
1995 Active
teetime4one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 02:08 PM   #4
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

Your DME (ECU) is behind the battery inside the firewall. This area is sometimes known to leak on other e36 models. Avoid spraying water behind the battery.

For best results, degrease the engine while it's warm. I recommend getting a coarse bristle brush like a toilet brush or maybe even a paint brush from the .99 cent store.

Use Gunk Engine Brite or a similar degreaser to break the thick stuff loose. Brake cleaner works great and doesn't dry out the rubber and plastic parts like carb cleaner does. However, it evaporates quickly so only use it in the tough/hard to reach areas if necessary. Try not to get degreaser on the belts and pulleys. Let the engine degreaser soak in for a few minutes, while using the brush to scrub the corners and crevices.

Once the majority of thick crud is removed, use a spray bottle with a Simple Green and water solution to finish the lighter duty areas and continue to spray the other areas to prevent them from drying. Use Simple Green or dishwashing liquid with degreasing properties such as Dawn or Palmolive to scrub the painted surfaces such as the strut towers.

Once you're satisfied that the grease is removed, use a garden hose to rinse all of the chemicals and residual grease out of the engine bay. Be careful not to spray water into any electrical components and especially keep water away from the area behind the battery. Let the engine bay dry for a few minutes and wipe down with a towel.

Use ArmorAll or a similar product to refresh the plastic pieces such as the radiator cover. Use belt dressing to polish the belts and hoses, but be careful not to get any on the inside of the belts or pulleys. Finish up by waxing and polishing the painted areas and you're done.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:02 AM   #5
BMVUS

thanks guys.. hopefully we have gunk here in aus! hehe..
BMVUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 02:18 AM   #6
KabeNZ

Hi all, I am keen to clean my very dusty engine bay on my 318 ti 1995. I do not know which parts I need to cover up and protect from water. I know the alternator is one,- but where is the alternator? this is my problem, if i am just told which parts to cover it means nothing to me as I don't know where most parts are!. Total newbie here. thanks
KabeNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 11:23 PM   #7
Shellback

I've seen folks cover all electrical parts with aluminum foil, like wrapping a baked potato and tossing it in the in BBQ....
Shellback is offline   Reply With Quote