318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Engine Swaps

Notices

Engine Swaps Engine conversions.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 96,579 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 59,586 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 56,913 Views
M50+manual swap bastard...
03-01-2024 11:00 PM
Last post by Andy318
03-18-2024 02:34 PM
3 Replies, 131,957 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 09-17-2014, 08:41 AM   #1
blueblur1984

Default What swaps are legal in California?

I'm not sure if this thread has been done, but I was hoping to get some clarification. I hear a lot of stories about what can and can't be swapped into the 318ti and pass the CA referee inspection. I was given this car and while it's a 5 speed with a clean body (and title) the block has a hole the size of my fist. I want a fun car to drive that I can still take to work if I feel like it. So here's my dilemma: what will the state ref approve and still keep a reasonable budget? Realistically how much should I expect to spend? So far I've gathered the following:

Staying with the 1.9: Swapping in a 1.9 from another 97 or 98 is going to be the easiest, cheapest way to go. It will bolt right up and, getting a cheap pick and pull deal, shouldn't cost more than $500 all said and done. While the smallest headache this will be the least fun to drive.

Swap a 325: This would be great because this motor is plentiful and, from what I understand, bolts up to the getrag 5speed that's already in there. No way this would pass ref inspection because it's odb1...budget friendly track car at best.

Swap from a 323: From what I've gathered this also mates to the getrag 5 speed, a 97-98 would be odbII and theoretically could pass inspection and would give me a little more power. I would need the block, a wiring harness and the ecu...anything I'm missing? Am I wrong about whether or not it would pass?

Swap from a 328: This should also pass inspection but would not working with my existing transmission. I would have to yank the entire drive train at a greater expense. This would give me a good amount more power than the 323 though. Is the extra work worth the extra 20 hp/lbft above the 323?

Swap from an M3: Awesome but I'm afraid that it's out of my price range. It seems like a full swap would set me back at least $2k in parts and be a big PITA. I'm guessing I'll need suspension and brakes to meet the new weight and power so lets add another thousand at least. Am I off base or is that about right?

Any help would be appreciated as I'd like to do this right the first time. Between the paperwork I have and the overall shape of the shell I feel like this car is worth saving, but it's not worth breaking the bank or winding up with a car I can't register in CA.

Last edited by blueblur1984; 09-17-2014 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Turned into a wall of text instead of paragraphs
blueblur1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 03:42 PM   #2
BlackBMWs

Vehicles

Hi BlueBlur! Good topic to bounce around if you're available on Saturday as a number of us are meeting and BBQing in Vallejo. 2pm potluck at a forum members deck at his home. At least one swap completed and two in flight for forum members as well as tranny conversions.

Many with mods for fun factor, many DDs there.

I believe there are a few threads in the forum discussing the conversion options, not sure how many discuss the ref experiences, I know this is typically a topic when we all get together. J!m here in the forum offers a swap manual he has assembled that has helped many folks.

I see you are in Sacramento as Adam and I are. Let me know if you want to catch up sometime.

Regards, Rich

1998 318ti Sport - "Cali" Schwartz II/Schwartz sport interior, Cali top
1998 318ti Sport - "Max" Schwartz II/Schwartz sport interior, S52
1997 318ti Sport - "Tiny" Schwartz II/Schwartz sport interior
1995 318ti Active - "Blanca" Alpineweib III/Schwartz leather interior

Other Current Bimmers: 2006 530i / 2000 2.3L Z3 / 1997 1.9L Z3 / 1999 540it

1997 318ti Sport - "Huera" - RIP
1995 318ti Active - RIP
1995 318ti Sport - "Tiny" Sold
1994 325i Sedan - "Jade" - Sold
1991 318ic - "Bert" - Sold
1985 635csi sold
1984 533i "Max" Sold
1984 318i sold

BMWCCA #160411

SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE!
Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!
BlackBMWs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 09:22 PM   #3
derekkg

Also, the motor from a 328 (m52b28) will bolt right up to the stock 5 speed transmission. No need to change any of the rest of the drivetrain. I did this
derekkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 02:40 AM   #4
blueblur1984

@BlackBMW

Thanks for the welcome! I was trying to shoot you a pm but I guess I can't do that until I have 5 posts. I'll get cracking on that and hit you up once I'm good to go.

@derekkg

The 328 swap being this simple would make my debate a lot simpler. I thought the 328 and the M3 both used the z4 trans where the 325 and below used the getrag. Are you in CA and if so were you able to BAR your ti? How much did you spend and what did you need (if anything) besides the engine?
Old 09-18-2014, 04:16 AM   #5
wolferj-RIP

The Getrag and ZF transmissions both bolt up to any of the M50/M52/S50/S52 engines. The ZF trans is said to be a little beefier, but my Getrag has seen lots of track and street use, and after 4 years is just fine...

The BAR process is a bit more daunting for OBDII vs OBDI, but manageable. It will be best if you have a donor car to get all the emissions parts from. That may be a larger upfront expense (finding a wrecked 328), but should be cheaper than sourcing all the emission parts separately...

The rule of thumb is that to pass BAR, you need the emissions equipment that matches the engine installed on the car. Also, you cannot install an engine into a car that is older than the car itself (model year, not production date).

It was easier for me to pass BAR because my swapped ti is a 95 and OBDI.
James 95 active w/leather interior and sport interior conversion, Vaders, full M-Tech exterior conversion. Now m50 swapped* Eibach sway bars, D2 Coilovers, Depo's w/AE's, blacked-out sides and grills, LeatherZ console and door armrests, 1 series starter button mod, and custom finished Style 5's <--- in this color! Named "Roddy": *M50 6 cyl. swap with fan delete, S50 cams and chip, AFE stage 2 intake, M3 clutch and 11.5 lb Fidanza flywheel, 3.15LSD, battery relocated to rear and complete custom exhaust. Sweet! 97 318ti sport, Alaska Blue, Contours, coilovers, Dove Vaders and custom black/grey interior named "Max" 95 318ti Active in Cosmos, S50 swap in progress... named "Pit" SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE! Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!
wolferj-RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 07:01 AM   #6
derekkg

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueblur1984 View Post
@derekkg The 328 swap being this simple would make my debate a lot simpler. I thought the 328 and the M3 both used the z4 trans where the 325 and below used the getrag. Are you in CA and if so were you able to BAR your ti? How much did you spend and what did you need (if anything) besides the engine?
They do, but like wolferj said, either transmission bolts to any engine. I had the ZF transmission, but ended up not using it because it has a different output shaft bolt pattern so I would have needed to change that or get a modified driveshaft to mate up with it. By using the stock Getrag transmission, the transmission, driveshaft, and differential all don't have to be changed. The transmission mounts 1 set of holes further back, but those holes are already in the Ti. The driveshaft can be shortened enough on its center splined section so no modifications need to be done to it.

My car is registered in Washington State and I haven't had to get it smogged yet. From my understanding, as long as it passes smog check up here there is nothing else to be done. I don't know about BAR or California registration though.

I got the complete engine, transmission, keys, DME, EWS, Radiator, Gauge cluster, and nearly all of the additional accessories for eleven hundred dollars last year. Fluids was about another hundred dollars. That was all it took to get it running. But I did a few other things like a new clutch, electric fan, etc. At this point there are still a few small things that don't work. ABS and ASC don't work: I think this is because the Engine computer is older than the rest of the car, and the engine never had ASC. Keyless entry doesn't work: I haven't figured that one out yet. It was pretty simple though, basically plug and play.

I do strongly recommend getting J!m's manual, I used it and saved a ton of time and money that would have other wise been wasted on trial and error. Once the M52 went in I never had to pull it back out, everything worked first time. In addition, Jim has been great about answering emails and following up with help for the few problems I did have (keyless entry and ASC)

manual: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ne-swap-manual
Good luck!
derekkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 07:25 AM   #7
Marv17

I have my s52 ti BAR-ed... I got my hands on a crashed 8/1997 M3 and swapped everything over into my 7/1997 ti. No problems at the BAR referee. It was easy to do. Just showed paper work on crashed M3 and on my ti. And the put a sticker on my car saying it is a legal swapped car. No issues smogging it too.

-Theta Chi-
Float like a cadilac, sting like a BIMMER

.... my socket is just too thick and won't fit in the hole! damnit!

Marv's 332ti is in the werks. Stay tuned ya'll ...

Check list: S52 swap, manual transmission swap, 3.25 LSD with M Coupe diff cover, SuperSprint muffler, M3 style mirrors, AFE intake, ASC delete, M50 Manifold swap, UUC strut bar, ZHP lighted knob, Vaders, M-tech interior, OEM armrest, AC Schintzer front lip, AC Schnitzer rear spoiler, Roof spoiler, 18'' rims, M3 front drilled brakes, LED interior lights, 3 spoke Euro style steering wheel, OEM roof spoiler and bike holder, Thule fairing, Euro tail lights, oil pressure guage, carbon fiber hood painted to original paint (still showing CF weaving), what's next to do...?
Marv17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 02:30 AM   #8
blueblur1984

Lots of great advice. Thanks everyone! So the common verdict is that the easiest way to do this (and possibly cheapest) is to just track down a wrecked 328 or M3 and keep the getrag so I don't need a custom drive shaft? Any tips on best places to track down a donor? Craigslist? Wrecking yard?
Old 09-22-2014, 03:02 AM   #9
Marv17

You can swap over the ZF tranny with the front drive shaft piece too.
Source it on Craigslist. Lots of crashed cars on there. That's where I found my wrecked m3

-Theta Chi-
Float like a cadilac, sting like a BIMMER

.... my socket is just too thick and won't fit in the hole! damnit!

Marv's 332ti is in the werks. Stay tuned ya'll ...

Check list: S52 swap, manual transmission swap, 3.25 LSD with M Coupe diff cover, SuperSprint muffler, M3 style mirrors, AFE intake, ASC delete, M50 Manifold swap, UUC strut bar, ZHP lighted knob, Vaders, M-tech interior, OEM armrest, AC Schintzer front lip, AC Schnitzer rear spoiler, Roof spoiler, 18'' rims, M3 front drilled brakes, LED interior lights, 3 spoke Euro style steering wheel, OEM roof spoiler and bike holder, Thule fairing, Euro tail lights, oil pressure guage, carbon fiber hood painted to original paint (still showing CF weaving), what's next to do...?
Marv17 is offline   Reply With Quote