318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Track, Auto-X & Drag Racing

Notices

Track, Auto-X & Drag Racing Discuss "organized" racing, car set-ups, driving techniques, track tips, events, driving schools, maintenance and more.

.
» Recent Threads
Dash lights on strike
01-18-2008 04:24 PM
Last post by pilsberry
Yesterday 09:55 PM
38 Replies, 6,549 Views
Window coming off track
01-27-2003 04:51 PM
Last post by FunElan
Yesterday 06:11 PM
216 Replies, 80,517 Views
Injector...
02-19-2019 11:23 PM
Last post by spidertri
Yesterday 05:29 PM
3 Replies, 178 Views
What intake for S54...
Yesterday 09:29 AM
Last post by Simas323
Yesterday 09:29 AM
0 Replies, 107 Views
Happy Birthday barische
Yesterday 06:00 AM
Last post by 1996 328ti
Yesterday 06:00 AM
0 Replies, 118 Views
OEM roof spoiler
06-14-2018 01:19 AM
Last post by sortasorted
02-19-2019 06:27 PM
16 Replies, 4,184 Views
Swap Manual Q&A
01-09-2007 04:32 AM
Last post by Dphu
02-16-2019 05:21 PM
195 Replies, 55,457 Views
new engine build. dasc +...
01-02-2016 02:28 AM
Last post by Jean H.318TI
02-16-2019 05:55 AM
190 Replies, 94,627 Views
throttle bodies on the...
01-19-2019 12:20 AM
Last post by jerseytim
02-15-2019 11:13 PM
2 Replies, 583 Views
Racewars Australia -...
02-15-2019 09:09 PM
Last post by 318tiFatherFigure
02-15-2019 09:09 PM
0 Replies, 154 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2019, 05:26 PM   #1
jdehaan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 263
iTrader: (0)
Default Dedicated Track TI...Spring Rates

I'm building out my TI to be a dedicated track car and was wondering what kind of spring rates everyone is running. My car has an S52 swap, is fully stripped and caged, etc. I need to work on weight distribution some, as I'm at 54% in front (weight's down to 2640 lbs with a little over half a tank and no driver).

I'm running 600 lbs up front and 750 in the rear. I'm thinking I might be over sprung in the rear some. I've found that I can spin the rear tires in 4th gear if my tire pressures are just a little too high, which is making me think perhaps the rear springs aren't letting the car squat enough.

Anyone willing to share their experience?
jdehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 02:42 AM   #2
spidertri
Senior Member
 
spidertri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Elizabeth City, NC
Posts: 3,842
Vehicles
iTrader: (9)
Default

550F 700R, 28mm front bar full stiff, no rear bar. M52 swap. I can overpower the rear if I try but it sticks pretty good right now. I'm on TCK SA shocks all the way around. I've heard our rear responds pretty well to DA shocks where the compression can be adjusted.

I also moved to a torsen diff as I read E30 guys had more success with those putting the power down smoothly than a clutch type. I like it so far.
__________________
~Dave~

98 328ti Morea Grun slicktop
13 JGC WK2 Deep Cherry

Search | RealOEM
spidertri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 03:51 AM   #3
jdehaan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 263
iTrader: (0)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidertri View Post
550F 700R, 28mm front bar full stiff, no rear bar. M52 swap. I can overpower the rear if I try but it sticks pretty good right now. I'm on TCK SA shocks all the way around. I've heard our rear responds pretty well to DA shocks where the compression can be adjusted.

I also moved to a torsen diff as I read E30 guys had more success with those putting the power down smoothly than a clutch type. I like it so far.
Very Interesting. I tried no rear bar and found I was happier with it on. I have a 27mm front bar on the middle setting. My car seems to be very sensitive to weight transfer at turn in, so I'm fighting understeer at turn in and also at the apex as I roll on power.

I have Ground Control SA shocks and haven't tried playing with the adjustments at all yet.
jdehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 07:31 PM   #4
spidertri
Senior Member
 
spidertri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Elizabeth City, NC
Posts: 3,842
Vehicles
iTrader: (9)
Default

My car is at 2900lbs with me in it, also 54% on the front. I'd like to get that back closer to 50% but would probably have to remove the rest of the front interior, find a carbon hood, etc.

I really never turn my rear shocks up, they are usually 0.5 to 1 turn from full soft, otherwise it doesn't behave as well. On the front I set them 0.5 turn from full stiff. No rear bar is a must for autox, on track, it matters more coming out of slow tight corners but is manageable.

Also, I'm running 205/50-15 maxxis RC1 on track but I'm going to move to 225/50-15 this spring when I order a new set.

How aggressive is your differential?
__________________
~Dave~

98 328ti Morea Grun slicktop
13 JGC WK2 Deep Cherry

Search | RealOEM
spidertri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 01:39 AM   #5
dennis.santomauro
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: US
Posts: 1
iTrader: (0)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdehaan View Post
I'm building out my TI to be a dedicated track car and was wondering what kind of spring rates everyone is running. My car has an S52 swap, is fully stripped and caged, etc. I need to work on weight distribution some, as I'm at 54% in front (weight's down to 2640 lbs with a little over half a tank and no driver).

I'm running 600 lbs up front and 750 in the rear. I'm thinking I might be over sprung in the rear some. I've found that I can spin the rear tires in 4th gear if my tire pressures are just a little too high, which is making me think perhaps the rear springs aren't letting the car squat enough.

Anyone willing to share their experience?
do you have a anti roll on the rear end

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk
dennis.santomauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 03:29 AM   #6
jdehaan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 263
iTrader: (0)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidertri View Post
My car is at 2900lbs with me in it, also 54% on the front. I'd like to get that back closer to 50% but would probably have to remove the rest of the front interior, find a carbon hood, etc.

I really never turn my rear shocks up, they are usually 0.5 to 1 turn from full soft, otherwise it doesn't behave as well. On the front I set them 0.5 turn from full stiff. No rear bar is a must for autox, on track, it matters more coming out of slow tight corners but is manageable.

Also, I'm running 205/50-15 maxxis RC1 on track but I'm going to move to 225/50-15 this spring when I order a new set.

How aggressive is your differential?
No sure to be honest. It's a medium case 3.64 that I got from Diffsonline years ago, and I can't find any information on it.
jdehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 03:31 AM   #7
jdehaan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 263
iTrader: (0)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis.santomauro View Post
do you have a anti roll on the rear end

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk
Yes, I added back the stock active TI bar in the rear and found it settled the car more to my liking. Given I'm fighting understeer I'm contemplating going to a larger rear bar to see what kind of impact that makes.
jdehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 03:57 PM   #8
spidertri
Senior Member
 
spidertri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Elizabeth City, NC
Posts: 3,842
Vehicles
iTrader: (9)
Default

What about camber/caster in the front? Are you maxed out?
__________________
~Dave~

98 328ti Morea Grun slicktop
13 JGC WK2 Deep Cherry

Search | RealOEM
spidertri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 04:57 PM   #9
joe1602
Senior Member
 
joe1602's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Horseheads, NY
Posts: 211
Vehicles
iTrader: (0)
Default

I am currently running 500 front, 650 rear. Ground Control Coilover kit with Koni Yellow adjustable. Have the X-Brace up front, with an Eibach roll bar, 28mm adjustable on the stiffest setting. Also have Turner Camber Shims up front, all 3 of them in to give around 3.5 to 4 degrees negative camber at each wheel. Have the toe set out on each front wheel at about -1 degree for each. This seemed to help with my understeer more than anything else. I also am full poly or solid bushings up front. I am looking at the Ground Control Camber/Caster Plates for the upcoming season. At the rear I have the stock bar and a cheap strut brace. All bushings in rear are race/poly as well as the subframe mounts. I run the front shocks at about the mid point and the rears about a half turn from being as stiff as they will go. Springs are adjusted as low as they will go all the way round. I am running Kosei K1 wheels, 17x8.5 with Re-71r's (245/40x17). Front tire pressures around 26-28psi with the rears about 2-4 pounds higher. This seems to have helped the car rotate a bit better. So far have only used the car for Auto-X but will be doing Track days at WGI this year so we will see how the setup works on the track. I am looking at a front strut brace this winter as well as an improved (stiffer) brace for the rear. We have worked very hard at dialing the understeer out and it is pretty good right now.
joe1602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 03:07 AM   #10
jdehaan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 263
iTrader: (0)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidertri View Post
What about camber/caster in the front? Are you maxed out?
I'm running -3.5 degrees camber front, -2.5 rear.Caster is just over 8 degrees. Toe -0.1, 0.2 rear.
jdehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
spring , track car


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MVP Track Time 2019 Midwest Track Events Invitation Feffman Great Lakes - US 0 11-08-2018 01:34 PM
MVP Track Time 2016 Track Events (Come Drive With Us) Feffman Track, Auto-X & Drag Racing 2 05-22-2016 01:42 PM
MVP Track Time 2015 Track Dates Feffman Track, Auto-X & Drag Racing 2 07-08-2015 02:10 PM
MVP Track Time 2015 Midwest Track Dates Feffman Great Lakes - US 1 06-30-2015 02:57 PM
2012 Midwest Track Dates - MVP Track Time Feffman Great Lakes - US 2 06-16-2012 01:54 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:18 AM.


.
Powered by site supporters
vBulletin Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, 318ti.org
© vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2
[page compression: 110.52 k/129.79 k (14.84%)]

318ti.org does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information or products discussed.