318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Lounge

Notices

Lounge Temporary forum until new sections are suggested.

.
» Recent Threads
Ultimate Supercharger...
06-23-2019 09:06 AM
Last post by Blindsparky
Today 07:26 AM
99 Replies, 58,727 Views
FS: 17" Style 40 / FULLY...
Yesterday 09:34 PM
Last post by Meller1
Yesterday 09:34 PM
0 Replies, 135 Views
FS: Brake UPGRADE Thread...
Yesterday 09:33 PM
Last post by Meller1
Yesterday 09:33 PM
0 Replies, 79 Views
FS: E36 M3 OEM Mirrors
11-13-2019 05:39 PM
Last post by Meller1
Yesterday 09:26 PM
1 Replies, 563 Views
DASC Inforation or parts
Yesterday 01:15 PM
Last post by pvansickler
Yesterday 07:38 PM
2 Replies, 155 Views
16” Style 18’s set...
Yesterday 06:35 AM
Last post by 95 clubsport nugget
Yesterday 06:35 AM
0 Replies, 166 Views
Battery...
11-04-2010 04:32 AM
Last post by runnr548
Yesterday 05:33 AM
17 Replies, 12,997 Views
bc racing or KWs?
Yesterday 02:48 AM
Last post by tougebmw318ti
Yesterday 02:50 AM
1 Replies, 97 Views
FS: 1998 BMW 318ti...
11-25-2019 12:57 AM
Last post by doucy2
12-04-2019 01:37 PM
4 Replies, 556 Views
5 spd, tree crushed it
12-02-2019 07:16 PM
Last post by jay7602
12-04-2019 03:34 AM
2 Replies, 344 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2018, 03:53 AM   #16
740isport
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 309
iTrader: (1)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWannabe View Post
The 99's had all the options on them already? Do you have a picture of yours to share ?
Not sure what you mean by "All the options" but it does have the sports options on it. However, it is an automatic and has the goodies mentioned. I just realized that I don't have any pics of it on my phone or computer and its not here at home since my youngest son drives it to work.
__________________
01 740iS Cosmos Black
97 318ti Boston Green
96 318ti Alaska Blue
08 X5 4.8i Titanium Silver
99 318ti Titanium Silver
13 X5 3.5XDrive Cosmos Black
97 318ti Alpine White (gone but not forgotten)
88 325iC Schwartz Black (sold)
97 740iL Schwartz Black (sold)
84 633csi Schwartz Black (sold)
740isport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 04:54 PM   #17
1996 328ti
Senior Member
 
1996 328ti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 9,335
Vehicles
iTrader: (1)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740isport View Post
Not sure what you mean by "All the options" but it does have the sports options on it. However, it is an automatic and has the goodies mentioned. I just realized that I don't have any pics of it on my phone or computer and its not here at home since my youngest son drives it to work.
I don't think a 99 had all options.
My guess
sport suspension
color matching mirrors
M-tech trim
sport seats
fog lights

cruise and OBC probably optional as they were standard in actives, not the sport.

Only other option would be leather seats.
__________________
...steven
BMW CCA #146825
1995 BMW 318ti Club Sport • 1996 BMW 328ti • 2003 MINI Cooper S
www.bmwcca.org
1996 328ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 12:06 PM   #18
mr-canada
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 5
iTrader: (0)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWannabe View Post
Interesting ......Did a little research and came up with this ...Rare indeed ...only 656 1999 318ti's made it to the USA

https://oppositelock.kinja.com/1999-...iew-1692222252
I am lucky enough to have one of them. The 99 had a slightly more bored out engine (1.9L vs. 1.8L) and came with the M-Sport kit incl triptronic autoshifter for performance mode.

Thing grips the road like an addias shoe. It has a bit of a phantom mode, I call it grandma mode, where it drives just like a POS stock Civic. But when you punch it hard, it lights up and growls like a monster. Torque band really kicks in at 3500-4000RPM, M-Sport mode lets the engine rev higher than in standard automatic.

Hard as hell to find used parts for this year. AllBMWParts.com seems to be able to find anything and everything albeit not at the best price, but beats marching around one Euro pick-a-part after another hoping to find the correct part.

Also worthy of noting: The 99 has a different dimmer switch. Mine failed. It's a complete pain in the neck finding a replacement one. The older versions had one under the left side of the steering wheel, seperate from the headlight switch. In the 99 it's integrated into one switch up the dash. At this age, the rheostat can fail due to moisture or corrosion. Price I got for a replaement was 75 bucks - only 25 bucks less than both drivers' side windows. Owning a car this rare (the 99, anyway) is expensive but it's definitely worth the extra punch and M-sport kit with steering wheel.
mr-canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 12:08 PM   #19
mr-canada
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 5
iTrader: (0)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996 328ti View Post
I don't think a 99 had all options.
My guess
sport suspension
color matching mirrors
M-tech trim
sport seats
fog lights

cruise and OBC probably optional as they were standard in actives, not the sport.

Only other option would be leather seats.
Mine came with all the options. Cruise, OBC-2, computer, all that. The rear suspension is trailing arm, unlike the M3 which is higher end, but it allows you to put on a lot more rim types. Seems to handle awesome so it's not anything I'm crying about.
mr-canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 09:51 PM   #20
FunElan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Dodging potholes in SoCal
Posts: 379
iTrader: (1)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr-canada View Post
I am lucky enough to have one of them. The 99 had a slightly more bored out engine (1.9L vs. 1.8L) and came with the M-Sport kit incl triptronic autoshifter for performance mode.

Thing grips the road like an addias shoe. It has a bit of a phantom mode, I call it grandma mode, where it drives just like a POS stock Civic. But when you punch it hard, it lights up and growls like a monster. Torque band really kicks in at 3500-4000RPM, M-Sport mode lets the engine rev higher than in standard automatic.

Hard as hell to find used parts for this year. AllBMWParts.com seems to be able to find anything and everything albeit not at the best price, but beats marching around one Euro pick-a-part after another hoping to find the correct part.

Also worthy of noting: The 99 has a different dimmer switch. Mine failed. It's a complete pain in the neck finding a replacement one. The older versions had one under the left side of the steering wheel, seperate from the headlight switch. In the 99 it's integrated into one switch up the dash. At this age, the rheostat can fail due to moisture or corrosion. Price I got for a replaement was 75 bucks - only 25 bucks less than both drivers' side windows. Owning a car this rare (the 99, anyway) is expensive but it's definitely worth the extra punch and M-sport kit with steering wheel.
All M44s were 1.9L from 96 on. My 96 has the interior light dimmer switch you mention, it's the headlight switch left of the cluster. Getting one at a junkyard will be cheaper
__________________
'96 318ti California Edition- Montreal blue
'68 1600-2-Caribe blue
FunElan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 02:26 AM   #21
mr-canada
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 5
iTrader: (0)
Default

Mine is an E36

But good to know. Its just a headlight / dimmer switch, I'm certain if it's close to the same year a Mickey Mouse solution would make it work because it's a standard Bimmer plugs attached to the darn thing. I bought mine with a window fail, rain probably destroyed the switch. Im getting some electrical contact cleaner, going to blast the sh*t out of it see if that works on the rheostat but if not I'm stuck with another switch/knob. Hard to drive at night have to drop the visor to engage the vanity headlight just to change the gears, pretty sketchy.

Last edited by mr-canada; 11-23-2019 at 02:32 AM.
mr-canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 02:41 AM   #22
mr-canada
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 5
iTrader: (0)
Default

But anyway, not to digress too far from the OPs post onto my Dimmer problem, yes its a 20 year old car but mine still runs like a champ after 340,000 kms.

Just be prepared to fix age-related problems. Its a sexy Bimmer, I don't like the eyebrows on the headlights in later models, comes across a bit pretentious. Thing flies.

318ti also has fold down rear seats. Talked to a BMW tech and a BMW parts guy and they said they could fit a whole 700 series car in the back almost with the seats down. Unladen, thing is light, there's almost nothing to it, no rear doors, no trunk, its a bit shorter.

So when you punch the gas to have some real big fun it definitely delivers. Mine's 1.9L cranks it out way harder than my 3.7L Jeep Liberty. Don't

get me wrong, the Jeep is a damn fine SUV, but I bought the 318 for fun on the highway and the Jeep for fun in the dirt. Best of both worlds. Wouldn't want to do too much dirt driving in the 318. I've seen a lot of videos of 318s rally racing and they do quite well. Just be careful squeaking the tires on hard turns with the gas fully depressed, the tires will get expensive. But it is a hell of a lot of fun so it's hard not to want to do it. Haha
mr-canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 02:52 AM   #23
Samson
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Ocean Shores
Posts: 14
iTrader: (0)
Default

Seems like most of the parts from other years fit fine in the 99 though. I haven't had problems with anything I've ordered...
Only oddball things I've done to mine were - put manual windows in (weigh less, and they don't jam up like the electric) and the security pin was broken in my steering column... So I rewired it to a push start
Samson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CA S52-Swapped Tintop 318ti for $8,500 Strawman Cars for Sale 11 02-04-2018 07:24 PM
New Owner of a 1995 BMW 318ti :) AP1 Lounge 1 04-21-2017 06:35 AM
318ti....poor man's BMW? pcmedics911 Lounge 64 07-20-2012 04:08 AM
1998 Dinan BMW 318ti Ziggurat89 US and North America 11 11-22-2008 05:52 PM
UK BMW Compact Sports Edition 318ti (M Sport) FOR SALE GREX1969 US and North America 11 03-18-2007 02:30 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:15 PM.


.
Powered by site supporters
vBulletin Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, 318ti.org
© vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2
[page compression: 102.18 k/119.39 k (14.42%)]

318ti.org does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information or products discussed.