318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Lounge

Notices

Lounge Temporary forum until new sections are suggested.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 98,911 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 61,818 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 59,122 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 09-05-2010, 06:58 AM   #1
dhong089

Vehicles
Default HUGE amount of questions about driving manual

Hey guys! Now, before I go on, I just want to let you guys know that I have read all the articles out there about driving manual...watched all the instructional videos on how to drive shift...

I understand the concept of it, yet there are so many gaps I don't understand. So, I'll just list all my questions. I hoep you guys can help me out

Let’s say you’re driving at smoothly on 5th gear, hmm around 50ish MPH. What happens if you let go of the gas-pedal as well as the clutch pedal?

Let’s say you’re driving smoothly on 4th gear and you want to come to a stop at a red-light ahead. Do you simply press the clutch in, shift to neutral, and push the brake (with clutch dis-engaged)? I don’t exactly get the concept of “stopping” in stick-shift.

What happens if you try to stop the car ONLY using brakes?

Let’s say the car is off. Can you simply just shift the gears around without harming the car? What happens if you shift the gears without the clutch-pedal pressed in? (while car is still off)

Let’s say you’re going at a decently fast speed, around 5th gear. What happens if you press in the clutch-pedal and shift to neutral? Would that over-rev the car?

Let’s say you’re driving around 5th gear at a pretty decent speed. What would happen if you press in the clutch-pedal and suddenly shift to 3rd gear?

Let’s say you go into your car, press the clutch-pedal, and turn your car ON. The parking brake is still engaged. Is it OKAY to let go of the clutch pedal? (because if the car is on, and you suddenly let go of the clutch, won’t that stall the car?)

Lets say you started the car and you’re ready to go. You press the clutch IN, and the car is in 1st gear. What happens if you simply let go of the clutch SLOWLY, without even touching the gas pedal?

I understand “riding-the-clutch” means you’re wearing out the clutch, but I still just don’t understand the concept of it is. I want to understand what this is so I can avoid it.

With all these questions asked, hopefully you’ll still answer this one haha. I read all the articles and watched many videos, but I still don’t get the process of stopping. Let’s say you’re cruising at 50mph on 5th gear. Now, I want to stop. What EXACTLY do I do?? People talk about stopping using the transmission or something, idk... someone please direct me in the right direction

Last edited by dhong089; 09-05-2010 at 07:01 AM.
dhong089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:10 AM   #2
angel318ti

wow, I dont know what to say.. this is a 318ti forum. maybe you should direct those question to a driving instructor or a licensed driver that is willing to sit with you and help you learn. Welcome to the forum anyway.
angel318ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:21 AM   #3
eshtebah

It may be a good idea to stick with an auto until you get some training using a stick. do you have a License
Old 09-05-2010, 08:55 AM   #4
ChItalian1027

Vehicles

Quote:
Let’s say you’re driving at smoothly on 5th gear, hmm around 50ish MPH. What happens if you let go of the gas-pedal as well as the clutch pedal?
When your driving you always should not be pressing on the clutch. If you let go of the gas-pedal nothing major will happen you just slow down some.

Quote:
Let’s say you’re driving smoothly on 4th gear and you want to come to a stop at a red-light ahead. Do you simply press the clutch in, shift to neutral, and push the brake (with clutch dis-engaged)? I don’t exactly get the concept of “stopping” in stick-shift.
Yes, press the clutch in and shift to neutral and press on the brakes. You can do this while not pressing on the clutch. Neutral isn't really a gear.

Quote:
Only using the brakes then you will come to a stop just like when your in an automatic.

Quote:
Let’s say the car is off. Can you simply just shift the gears around without harming the car? What happens if you shift the gears without the clutch-pedal pressed in? (while car is still off)
If you shift the gears while the car is off I don't think you'll harm the car. If you try to shift the car with the clutch not engaged (when your pressing the clutch pedal) you will not get it out of gear.

Quote:
Let’s say you’re going at a decently fast speed, around 5th gear. What happens if you press in the clutch-pedal and shift to neutral? Would that over-rev the car?
Nothing will happen to the car. When you press the clutch in your revs will drop to around idle, if you go into Neutral you will not over rev the engine. Neutral is a free gear that doesn't really do anything. You use it so you don't stall the car when your in gear.

Quote:
Let’s say you’re driving around 5th gear at a pretty decent speed. What would happen if you press in the clutch-pedal and suddenly shift to 3rd gear?
Would not recommend doing this. By doing this and then pressing the gas pedal you will most certainly over rev and possibly do considerable damage to the engine. But if your still pressing the clutch pedal then nothing will happen, but if you let go of it then you'll definitely do damage to the engine.

Quote:
Let’s say you go into your car, press the clutch-pedal, and turn your car ON. The parking brake is still engaged. Is it OKAY to let go of the clutch pedal? (because if the car is on, and you suddenly let go of the clutch, won’t that stall the car?)
If you start the car with the clutch then it will start. With the parking brake engaged you won't roll down a hill. Are you asking in this question if you start the car while in gear or in neutral? If you start the car in neutral with out the clutch then it will start. But if your in gear don't let go of the clutch then you will stall.

Quote:
Lets say you started the car and you’re ready to go. You press the clutch IN, and the car is in 1st gear. What happens if you simply let go of the clutch SLOWLY, without even touching the gas pedal?
If you let go of the clutch slowly while in 1st gear with out the gas pedal applied you'll stall.

Quote:
I understand “riding-the-clutch” means you’re wearing out the clutch, but I still just don’t understand the concept of it is. I want to understand what this is so I can avoid it.
Basically riding the clutch means while your still in 1st and about to start moving while you start pressing the gas pedal you start to rev and start moving while the clutch is pressed. What you want to do is once you start to moving let go of the clutch all the way. But you have to keep accelerating with out the clutch pedal engaged. By moving with gas pedal and clutch still engaged your riding the clutch and will wear it out faster. Basically lift the clutch a little bit while pressing the gas pedal and start moving release the clutch.

I hope this helps answers your questions. I would recommend driving around your neighborhood before you get onto the road. Once you get used to driving in your neighborhood slowly you can move onto the road.

WTB: HELLROT RED CLUB SPORT

95 ti sold but staying in the family.

Last edited by ChItalian1027; 09-07-2010 at 12:23 AM.
ChItalian1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:58 AM   #5
pdxmotorhead

Hey guys! Now, before I go on, I just want to let you guys know that I have read all the articles out there about driving manual...watched all the instructional videos on how to drive shift...

I understand the concept of it, yet there are so many gaps I don't understand. So, I'll just list all my questions. I hoep you guys can help me out

>> I'm going to assume your not trolling and just answer in the hopes that its honest curiosity.

>> The car slows down. If it gets slow enough it will buck or stall.

>> You press on the brake (With your right foot!) so you've let off the gas. Push the clutch in when the RPM's on the tach drop below 1500.
Keep the clutch pressed in till you get to a stop hold the clutch and brake shift to first in preparation to go when the light turns green.

>> You will kill the engine when the car get slow enough, its hard on the clutch and drive train. You need to hit the clutch Before you get stopped to allow the engine to keep idling.

>> As long as your not jerking the lever hard it won't hurt anything.
By pushing in the clutch it allows the input shaft to rotate a bit which will allow the synchros to mate and not force past each other causing un-needed wear.

>> The car revs relative to throttle position. If you pushed in the clutch and did not let off the gas yes you'll over rev youll only over-rev if you downshift to a gear thats too low for the speed your going. The feel for this takes practice.

>> Depending on speed you'll have no problem or you'll blow the motor its relative to the cars ACTUAL speed vs the gear you go into.

>> Yes it will stall if its NOT in neutral. Always ease the clutch out in case you've messed up and left it in gear.

>> If your are really good at feathering the clutch and you are on say a smooth level or downhill road the car will start moving relative to engine idle speed.

>> NEVER let your foot rest on the clutch pedal after your moving always remove it completely from the pedal. Otherwise it willl wear out the throwout bearing and maybe the clutch.

With all these questions asked, hopefully you’ll still answer this one haha. I read all the articles and watched many videos, but I still don’t get the process of stopping. Let’s say you’re cruising at 50mph on 5th gear. Now, I want to stop. What EXACTLY do I do?? People talk about stopping using the transmission or something, idk... someone please direct me in the right direction

Using the transmission/engine to slow the car:
Lift off the gas let the car slow till the tach is < 2000 rpm, push in the clutch and switch to to 4th gear, let the clutch out smoothly engine RPM should go to about 3200. Let the car continue to slow and as you drop under 2000rpm push clutch again and switch to 3rd gear. Repeat this until your in first gear. Push in the clutch and press on the brake to finish stopping.

However on a BMW I usually just downshift to 4th and push on the brake, when the tack hits 2000 I push in the clutch and stop
with the brakes. Clutches and transmissions are EXPENSIVE, brakes are relatively cheap.

Google "how stuff works" and search for clutch and transmission. If you have no mechanical background to understand how the transmission works.

Dave

pdxmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:59 AM   #6
pdxmotorhead

LOL you type just a bit faster than me!

Dave
pdxmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:06 AM   #7
ChItalian1027

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead View Post
LOL you type just a bit faster than me!

Dave
haha. Dave you would've posted before me I was quoting his questions.

Old 09-05-2010, 10:12 AM   #8
chudzikb

I certainly hope you guys are in the education business or some type of religious type industry, cause otherwise you are just wasting your patience as saints! If there are that many questions about driving a manual, then this person has NEVER been in a car that was a manual? My Dad took the time with me to explain it and demonstrate and actually ride with me to ensure it was done correctly before ever releasing me to the streets. I remember teaching my wife, explaining it in theory and then showing her. (of course there was lots of screaming, but, you will have that with wifes) Quiet parking lots with hills are your friends. But, then again, you actually have to know someone that KNOWS how to drive a stick!
chudzikb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 03:34 PM   #9
xxxJohnBoyxxx

I learned with no ones help or instruction. My dad was in a wheelchair and never drove a clutch same with mom.

I'm glad members took the time to answer this guys questions. I hate to see people on this board act like stuck-up M3 owners from the other board. We are here to help each other and I bet the search button didn't help him.

John S

EDIT ~ If you think he needs education maybe someone offer to help if you live by him...

Last edited by xxxJohnBoyxxx; 09-05-2010 at 03:43 PM.
xxxJohnBoyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 04:12 PM   #10
BMW_Hatchback

my mom taught me how to drive, in her 88 735i (5 speed). It took me an hour to finally have the guts to go

good times...
BMW_Hatchback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 04:38 PM   #11
Jovela

you learn quick out of desperation. had to drive an 85 camaro overnight before high school started. Drove like 5am so not much peeps on the road.

I'm the first out of my group of friends to learn, so I taught all of em. The best part is the "Hill Test" where they freak out...lol
Jovela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:25 PM   #12
tiFreak

Vehicles

not sure if it's an option for you, but having someone who knows how to drive a stick is much easier than peoples posts on a forum, it seems more intimidating then it is, once you get the basics down by actually practicing, you're well on your way to it becoming second nature when you drive

you're lucky you didn't post this on bimmerforums, those guys would have bashed you non-stop but the truth is, we've all been just as clueless about it as you are now
tiFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:45 AM   #13
ChItalian1027

Vehicles

My mom taught me on the ti. Took me about a couple days to get it right then I was driving like it was nothing. Unfortunately I don't live anywhere near hills, so I flew to Seattle and drove my uncles manual 240sx and my mom taught me how to get it right to keep myself from moving backwards. I stalled a lot but I got the hang of it eventually.

I wouldn't really trust videos. I would go to Pennsylvanias local SCCA school I'm sure they would be more than glad to help you with driving.

Old 09-06-2010, 04:24 PM   #14
Mr.Squeelerz

Find a truck, a farm, and an open field. Hop in and try to figure it out on your own. That's how I learned. I taught myself. If you can get moving without shooting dirt, you are well on your way. With the basic understanding of what you need to do, its really trial and error. If it sounds or feels like you are doing it wrong, you probably are. Just concentrate, don't panic.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:31 PM   #15
hotmilk400

you are WAY WAY to worried about this. and you are putting WAY to much thought into it.

from what i understand, you do not understand how the clutch works, hence why u are even asking about it. which is okay, so my goal will be to give u a basic idea of what you are doing when you push the clutch in.

basicly, the way cars are designed, is your motor powers the wheels to go (yeah, real basic)

when you press in the clutch, it opens that connection, so your motor is freely spinning separate from the wheels (the same thing if your car is in neutral).

thats the ONLY thing your clutch does, it is not some magical pedal, and has nothing to do with what you are doing with the brake pedal.

you shift when you press in the clutch, because it stops the spinning on the motor side, so the gears can go into the correct spot without grinding the gears together to do it (since your motor spins at a different speed as the tires, when you shift, you are basically trying to fit together a gear spinning at 1000RPMS with a gear spinning 4000RPMS, hence you are grinding gears. when you press in the clutch, you are matching up a gear that moves freely, with a spinning gear, so it just pairs up easy. )

think of the clutch as neutral. when ever you press it in, you are moving freely. so if you are in 5th gear, and you press in the clutch, you are in neutral. you can hit the brakes, or just release the clutch, it does not matter.

you can also shifty freely. if you are in 5th gear, doing 50mph, and you want to pass someone, you can shift into 3rd (if you want to really pass them quickly) or 4th gear. it does not hurt your car (as long as you do not try to go into like 2nd gear, since your motor will be forced to spin faster then what it wants to, but your transmission will block it from doing that)

driving a stick shift is like a game. try to keep your RPMS between 1k and 6k. if you go to low, you stall, if you go to high, you destroy your motor and waste gas. anything inbetween is perfecly okay. you can drive at 5k RPMS all day intill you are blue in the face, or you can drive at 1.5k RPMS . it doesnt matter.

the lower the RMPS, the better gas millage you get, but slower for your car if you want to accelerate faster. the higher the RPMS, the faster your car is, but the worse on gas.

--

you are panicking way to much, and giving it way to much thought. just have someone take you to a large parking lot, and practice driving. you are not going to wreck the car if u stall it or shift poorly. i tought like 4 of my friends to drive it, and they knew nothing about it. its trail and error.

the only thing you have to get use to is were the clutch leave out and where the clutch goes in. no one told me that when i learned and it took me awhile to figure it out. you can actually feel it (maybe not at first) their is a spot in the clutch were it is releases and connects. anything before or after that means nothing. you want to find that magical spot, or your car will be bouncing all around the parking lot (or stalling) and you will get mad quick.

once u find that spot, that is how you pull out (thats the only important thing)

when you pull out, u are keeping the pedal in that magical spot, and you are putting your foot on the gas (just alittle) . to much gas, and your RPMS go real high. to little gas, and you dont move or stall. if you release the clutch to fast, and have to much gas, you will either bounce your car around, or peel rubber the entire parking to (haha) if you release the clutch to slow, you are wearing out your clutch, and you wont move as fast. (but do not worry, they last a long time)

it probably takes 20 minutes of working with it to get a basic understanding of pulling out, and like 2 hours to get good feeling for the clutch. after a few days, you probably will still be a little scared of messing up, after like 1 month, you wont even think about it when you are shifting. you become apart of the car. i basically fall asleep on my 40 minute drive home every day, and i shift the whole way home (and do not remember anything.. haha)

Green Your Decor with the Aspect! Shop for the Grow Light Used by Interior Designers, Growers & People Like You!

Last edited by hotmilk400; 09-06-2010 at 09:37 PM.
hotmilk400 is offline   Reply With Quote