318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Engine

Notices

Engine Tuneups, chips, wires, spark plugs.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 996,081 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 02-03-2009, 03:26 PM   #16
Ken

They were able to actually get the engine to turn over and start, so I think that's probably a bit of good news.

I don't know anything else at this point though.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 03:29 PM   #17
marko

as long as your pistons / rings aren't fried - you are cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
They were able to actually get the engine to turn over and start, so I think that's probably a bit of good news.

I don't know anything else at this point though.
/DASC w.3' pulley @ 15psi/SNOW System/3.45 LSD/Billstein PSS coils
/Stromung Exhaust/DS1's/X-Brace/Front & Rear H&R Sways/OMP 300mm SW
/SAP delete/ASC+T delete/Hayabusa valve springs/MM's LTW flywheel
marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 07:20 PM   #18
Ken

Decided against going with that radiator, the one from my mechanic is only about 30 bucks more, but comes with a 12 month, 12k warranty.. whereas the ebay one only had 30 days.

They said they want to put in the radiator and go from there, but wont really no anything until they get that in and can do compression tests etc.. so, I should know more by tomorrow afternoon.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:39 PM   #19
dgroebl

Lets us know what the mechanic says but I'm betting your looking at at least a $1000 dollar bill.

possible causes:
Blown head gasket
Cracked radiator
Leaky hose - not checking the coolant level

possible damage:
warped or cracked head
seized engine
radiator/hoses
possibly nothing but probably not

If your head is truly damaged it might be much cheaper to pick up a used M44 and just have someone swap it in for you. And then make sure to fix the problem with the cooling system of course!

P.S. the condenser is for the AC system and it should not have been effected by the over heat
Old 02-03-2009, 08:43 PM   #20
aceyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
Well, it turned a little bit because I was able to get it on the side of the road after crossing the freeway (Road had curved and I had to go with it since my brakes weren't stopping me)

So I guess it was just extremely difficult to turn.. it wasn't locked like when you lock the steering wheel when getting out of the car, it just didn't respond
Okay, probably a lack of manifold vacuum.

With my car off and in neutral, the brake pedal almost feels like it's welded solid. If you have any sort of speed, you have to stand on it to get it to slow down.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:51 PM   #21
Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgroebl View Post
Lets us know what the mechanic says but I'm betting your looking at at least a $1000 dollar bill.

possible causes:
Blown head gasket
Cracked radiator
Leaky hose - not checking the coolant level

possible damage:
warped or cracked head
seized engine
radiator/hoses
possibly nothing but probably not

If your head is truly damaged it might be much cheaper to pick up a used M44 and just have someone swap it in for you. And then make sure to fix the problem with the cooling system of course!

P.S. the condenser is for the AC system and it should not have been effected by the over heat
Would the car actually start if it were any of those things besides the radiator / hoses?
Old 02-04-2009, 02:37 AM   #22
dgroebl

Sorry I missed the post that the car started. Yeah it can still run with a cracked or warped head. The mechanic will have to do a compression test to determine how much damage has been done.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:08 AM   #23
jnande4176

Did you check your belts? It sounds like possibly you threw a belt, loss of power steering, engine shut down, no brakes, etc. Fits all the symptoms. Have that tech replace your water pump while he already has the radiator off, hoses off, fan off, coolant drained, etc. Mine as well, FWIW...
jnande4176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 08:34 PM   #24
dgroebl

Yeah good point, I didn't think of that, if your water pump stopped turning it would definitely cause those issues. However, the alternator is on that same belt though. So if you threw your WP/Alternator belt the battery light would have immediately come on. Also, belts are usually pretty loud/violent when they let go so I'd assume you would have probably noticed that. Any word from the mechanic on the compression test yet?

p.s. They should be able to do a compression test without the radiator. Don't let them bully you into putting several hundred dollars into a radiator job before you even know if the engine is toast or not.
Old 02-05-2009, 04:09 AM   #25
jnande4176

yeah, if they told you that you have to have a good radiator on to do a pressure test (cylinder leak-down test) they have begun the early stages of "bending you over"...Just my 2 cents.

It probably would be loud if you threw a belt, but could easily go unheard if you have the radio cranked...ask me how I know. Stranded on the side of a major highway for 8 hours waiting for a tow truck, which actually over-heated on the way to the shop...
jnande4176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 05:02 AM   #26
Ken

Well like I said I don't get charged mark up on parts, so he's not making any money off me buying a new radiator aside from labor.

At this point they think I'm good to go, they put in the new radiator and everything seems fine. They drove it around, temp is in the middle and there's no other issues according to them.

They said since there wasn't any fluids where there shouldn't be and the head wasn't cracked or anything like that they didn't really need to worry about a compression test.

I took the car home today and everything seems fine. They said if there's any other issues the car will let me know.

So, for now, it looks like I lucked out with just a busted radiator.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:34 AM   #27
dgroebl

Wow good deal, your a lucky dude!

I'm a little confused on how they could know that your head wasn't cracked just because they didn't find water in the oil and viesa versa. That's sorta the point of a compression tester. But hopefully it never matters cause it keeps running fine.

I caution you to monitor your coolant level closely though. It's possible to have a very slight leak that won't even show up on a compression check. Oil wont mix in with the water, or viesa versa. But what it will do is leak tinny amounts of compressed air into the water jacket of the engine every time that cylinder fires. Slowly this ever steadily growing pocket of air will push the coolant out of the cooling system and your car will eventually over heat again. I'm not sure if this is a common problem with our motors or not but it's possible, and quite frequent in open deck motors.

BTW is the M44 an open deck block? I haven't had mine apart yet (knock on wood)
Old 02-05-2009, 07:44 AM   #28
dgroebl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnande4176 View Post
It probably would be loud if you threw a belt, but could easily go unheard if you have the radio cranked...ask me how I know. Stranded on the side of a major highway for 8 hours waiting for a tow truck, which actually over-heated on the way to the shop...
LameO! Sorry bout that!

I once almost lost a wheel to a bad wheel bearing (that I had supposedly just paid a shop to replace) because I had the radio cranked also! I kept feeling car shake so I'd stop, get out and walk around, look underneath. Then confused I'd get back in and crank the radio (stupid me). Finally the second or third stop I kicked the rear right tire out of frustration and to my surprise the whole freakin wheel and hub broke off! The car fell to the ground and my road trip was over!
Old 02-05-2009, 01:43 PM   #29
Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgroebl View Post
Wow good deal, your a lucky dude!

I'm a little confused on how they could know that your head wasn't cracked just because they didn't find water in the oil and viesa versa. That's sorta the point of a compression tester. But hopefully it never matters cause it keeps running fine.

I caution you to monitor your coolant level closely though. It's possible to have a very slight leak that won't even show up on a compression check. Oil wont mix in with the water, or viesa versa. But what it will do is leak tinny amounts of compressed air into the water jacket of the engine every time that cylinder fires. Slowly this ever steadily growing pocket of air will push the coolant out of the cooling system and your car will eventually over heat again. I'm not sure if this is a common problem with our motors or not but it's possible, and quite frequent in open deck motors.

BTW is the M44 an open deck block? I haven't had mine apart yet (knock on wood)
A very slight leak in what?
Old 02-05-2009, 08:25 PM   #30
dgroebl

This usually takes the form of a leak in the head gasket of an open deck motor. Compression from the cylinder slips threw the head gasket and leaks out into the surrounding water jacket. But it can also happen from a small crack in the head. But I've never seen the cracked head thing happen personally. My hunch is that when heads crack its usually a slightly larger leak and you get oil and water mixing.