318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Electrical

Notices

Electrical All wiring questions.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 974,354 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 06-12-2009, 04:22 PM   #1
iammagnus

Default 318ti is a working OBC possible?

Ok guys I posted this exact question on BF and it went nowhere I also searched here before making this post and I saw a few threads about 2 or 11 button but i dont think thats exactly what I'm looking for I did find a PDF that i printed about about OBC for 3 series im gonna show my mechanic and see what he thinks. What is your thoughts?

Ok guys I'm trying to get some info on what I wanna do here to see if it is possible and how much work it is. Heres the story I am brand new to the BMW world I just left VW and glad to be done with it. I have been a member for a few months now but I do my lurking than anything I am currently working on my 318ti I always thought they were cool lil cars and she should be sharp and be a demon when Im done throwing my 401k at her lol.

I was in a 98ish 328 and The dash was so much nicer and felt really modern for being a 98 and now my ti dash looks soooo dated. So I did some research and I have sourced a 4 door black dash to swap in but I would love the OBC to be functional. I am NO mechanic but my buddy owns a performance shop and specializes in BMW's so I have a leg up. I did search "obc retrofit" and every thread is about swapping out an 11 button for an 18 button. So its no help. What do you guys think? any info, opinions, links, walk throughs, diy etc would be cool. My guy can do just about anything but I wanna know what I'm getting into.
Thanks
iammagnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 04:38 PM   #2
b.u.ti-ful

Are you putting in one like this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-O...Q5fAccessories

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
b.u.ti-ful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 05:27 PM   #3
iammagnus

no i was thinking one like this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...BSI%26otn%3D12

as well as a full dash swap from a e36 3series i know I need a 4 door dash to make it fit but i want the obc to funtion properly. The one you posted what is that one capable of other than a clock and how hard is that one to do maybe that is an option though i rather use the bigger one it looks better
Old 06-12-2009, 05:41 PM   #4
mohaughn

No, he is talking about putting in the 8 button OBC from a 325 or 328.

I would imagine that there is nothing that big about it. You just need to figure out the wiring harness, and wire everything up properly. Your biggest concerns are going to be if the OBC wants any type of special signal that the 318 DME doesn't provide.

A few people around here have swapped dashes, but that is usually in conjunction with doing a motor swap. Not seen anybody do a dash swap and OBC swap on a car that keeps the 4-banger..
mohaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 05:57 PM   #5
iammagnus

right that is exactly what I wanna do mohaughn but is there any solid info on what needs to be done or what I need has anyone specifically done this?
Old 06-12-2009, 06:20 PM   #6
John Firestone

The M42/M44 DME shouldn't be a problem as you could order an OBC on every E36 from the 316i to the M3. I am unsure about the signals you would get out of a 318ti cluster, however. I wonder if the fuel level signal might need some conditioning.
John Firestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 06:22 PM   #7
Xenocide

we do not have a check control module though, or ibus (what ever its called)
Old 06-12-2009, 06:23 PM   #8
John Firestone

Fortunately, check control and an OBC were independent options.
Old 06-13-2009, 04:37 AM   #9
iammagnus

does anybody know exactly what needs to be done to make this happen? do you need to swap in the whole wiring harness? Im new to bmw's so alot of the lingo and info is new to me. ANything solid for me? Does anybody know someone who actually did it maybe i can contact them.
Old 06-13-2009, 08:44 AM   #10
John Firestone

You will probably need to make your own harness and could very well be on your own. I was on my own when I retrofitted an OBC to my 318is some years ago. Out of the hundreds of E36 owners I must have asked, no one had attempted it and many thought the job was akin to a brain transplant. I only bring this up because I think your chances for a favorable outcome are even higher than my were. You have access to a lot more information and experience than I could find back then, not to mention, you now have lots of cheap, used parts if you have to "repeat" something.

If you truly want the E36/2/4 dash and OBC in your car, I would say, prepare for it taking longer than you expect and just do it!
Old 06-13-2009, 04:27 PM   #11
iammagnus

alright guys thanks for your help. I think I have a shop that is capable of doing it but i was hoping for some kind of direction to head in or some DIY. Anyway thanks for everyones response hopefully someone will see this that has done it already
Old 06-13-2009, 06:08 PM   #12
John Firestone

If you have any specific questions that come up while you are converting, just ask. Good luck!
Old 07-14-2009, 02:25 PM   #13
mdpowered

Quote:
Originally Posted by iammagnus View Post
does anybody know exactly what needs to be done to make this happen? do you need to swap in the whole wiring harness? Im new to bmw's so alot of the lingo and info is new to me. ANything solid for me? Does anybody know someone who actually did it maybe i can contact them.

it cant be done!!!!!!!!!!!!

too much work ....not enough practical use

SEE *

*DREAM KILLER!
mdpowered is offline   Reply With Quote