318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Personal bios and Introductions

Notices

Personal bios and Introductions A short personal history.

» Recent Threads
M50+manual swap bastard...
03-01-2024 10:00 PM
Last post by Andy318
Yesterday 02:34 PM
3 Replies, 45,157 Views
Cali Top owners: How...
07-14-2014 04:29 PM
Last post by Trusted-1
03-15-2024 02:37 AM
2 Replies, 42,442 Views
FOR SALE: 82k mile 1995...
03-15-2024 01:24 AM
Last post by di318
03-15-2024 01:24 AM
0 Replies, 37,954 Views
BMW E36 Compact rear...
03-13-2024 12:56 PM
Last post by BMW Welsh rally
03-13-2024 12:56 PM
0 Replies, 48,905 Views
WTB: 318ti with...
04-20-2022 08:57 AM
Last post by di318
03-10-2024 08:08 PM
21 Replies, 244,478 Views
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Cybersid13
03-09-2024 02:12 PM
209 Replies, 677,171 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 06-23-2019, 03:50 PM   #1
OllieNZ

Default Hi All

Hi All,

New guy from the UK here. I'm not a 318ti owner but do have an M44 powered Z3 that I'm starting a build on spare engine with turbo charging in mind.

Regards

Ollie
OllieNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 12:35 AM   #2
MisterM52

Welcome! Post some pictures of the Z3. What kind of power are you looking to pull out of the M44?
MisterM52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 04:33 PM   #3
anassa

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by OllieNZ View Post
Hi All,

New guy from the UK here. I'm not a 318ti owner but do have an M44 powered Z3 that I'm starting a build on spare engine with turbo charging in mind.

Regards

Ollie
Don't to turbo!

Be patient and wait for the man below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterM52 View Post
Welcome! Post some pictures of the Z3. What kind of power are you looking to pull out of the M44?
He might a great solution:
http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=44651

***328ti Build thread. ***

Even more important:
SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE!
Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!
anassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 07:03 PM   #4
OllieNZ

Quote:
Thanks,

I'm aiming for around 300-350whp but the engine will be built to take more (doing a DIY MM style build with diesel crank etc)
Old 06-24-2019, 07:09 PM   #5
OllieNZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by anassa View Post
Don't to turbo!

Be patient and wait for the man below:

He might a great solution:

http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=44651

Already watching that one

I'm pretty set on going turbo over SC. I've got a reasonable engineering skill set and enjoy fabbing bits up so no bolt ons for me . I'm certainly interested in seeing what he does with the engine management side of things as that's about the only thing I'm still unsure on.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:40 AM   #6
MisterM52

Thats a really nice looking Z3 there, also in Silver, must be fun with a revvy m44

I think turbo could be a issue for the RHD guys like NZ/SA/AUS/UK/JAP you know. At least it was for them in the 6 Cyl department, But I look forward to it. Let me know if you figure something out or help with prototyping things. Now as for engine management goes, since its M44, I think you would definitely want some larger injectors, delete the pcv system or use some brake boosters to ensure the crank case doesn't get pressurized, a good rising rate fuel pressure regulator, then maybe the innovative data logger with a wideband for afr, then find a good tuner. The maf will definitely need rescaling, I wonder if you can use a HPX PMAS? As the BMW MAF doesn't like being a blow through setup and even then they max out quite fast.

That said you may be able to save some money by just going to end tuning since you are in the UK, Enda does great work. Just get it tuned from there.

For wideband, innovative is good but which ever it is, put a off switch to the ground so the sensor will last a life time as in off when you dont use it.

If a simple manifold is what you are after and come up with a good concept, I could help R&D and develop it at our factory.
Old 06-26-2019, 08:06 AM   #7
OllieNZ

Quote:
Thats a really nice looking Z3 there, also in Silver, must be fun with a revvy m44

I think turbo could be a issue for the RHD guys like NZ/SA/AUS/UK/JAP you know. At least it was for them in the 6 Cyl department, But I look forward to it. Let me know if you figure something out or help with prototyping things. Now as for engine management goes, since its M44, I think you would definitely want some larger injectors, delete the pcv system or use some brake boosters to ensure the crank case doesn't get pressurized, a good rising rate fuel pressure regulator, then maybe the innovative data logger with a wideband for afr, then find a good tuner. The maf will definitely need rescaling, I wonder if you can use a HPX PMAS? As the BMW MAF doesn't like being a blow through setup and even then they max out quite fast.

That said you may be able to save some money by just going to end tuning since you are in the UK, Enda does great work. Just get it tuned from there.

For wideband, innovative is good but which ever it is, put a off switch to the ground so the sensor will last a life time as in off when you dont use it.

If a simple manifold is what you are after and come up with a good concept, I could help R&D and develop it at our factory.
Cheers,

It's certainly a pepy wee beast and handles like a dream but unfortunately it lacks any real punch.

TC is definitely more difficult on a RHD car but hopefully I've come up with a viable packaging solution. The Z presents further packaging issues over an E36 due to the sloping bonnet and lack of room either side of the engine but after having a poke around a mates 318 coupe last night it also seems to have a couple of advantages over the E36. Mine's non AC and has copious amounts of room for a FMIC and the engine despite being behind the front axle line is not as tight to the firewall.

I'm planning on losing the entirety of the stock induction system, simple plenum like the ones in you pics, bigger MAF and TB. I can't help but wonder if a standalone ECU may be worth it over trying to tune the stock one.

Cheers for the offer of the help. I'll certainly take you up on it for a few bits.

Just realized you're a fellow Kiwi! I've been living in the UK for a few years now (married an English bird).
Old 06-27-2019, 04:34 AM   #8
anassa

Vehicles

Quote:
Already watching that one

I'm pretty set on going turbo over SC. I've got a reasonable engineering skill set and enjoy fabbing bits up so no bolt ons for me . I'm certainly interested in seeing what he does with the engine management side of things as that's about the only thing I'm still unsure on.
Well then it looks like you know what your doing! Start a build thread so we can follow along!

***328ti Build thread. ***

Even more important:
SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE!
Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!
anassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 11:58 PM   #9
MisterM52

Talking

Quote:
Cheers,

It's certainly a pepy wee beast and handles like a dream but unfortunately it lacks any real punch.

TC is definitely more difficult on a RHD car but hopefully I've come up with a viable packaging solution. The Z presents further packaging issues over an E36 due to the sloping bonnet and lack of room either side of the engine but after having a poke around a mates 318 coupe last night it also seems to have a couple of advantages over the E36. Mine's non AC and has copious amounts of room for a FMIC and the engine despite being behind the front axle line is not as tight to the firewall.

I'm planning on losing the entirety of the stock induction system, simple plenum like the ones in you pics, bigger MAF and TB. I can't help but wonder if a standalone ECU may be worth it over trying to tune the stock one.

Cheers for the offer of the help. I'll certainly take you up on it for a few bits.

Just realized you're a fellow Kiwi! I've been living in the UK for a few years now (married an English bird).
Well, I would imagine, the little red Ti puts a grin every time, I mean just likes to rev up and just feels right. I'd say the biggest obstacle is going to be the manifold for the turbo, and how you mount it. If you are good with tig, go for it. You will do it. I would keep the stock manifold really, the MAF could use a upgrade, look into the PMAS HPX as it will work well. But truth be told for the power you are after, you might want a custom ECU system like Link (NZ Made).

Yep, no problem, happy to help where I can. I am in Northland, just a few hrs from Auckland Good going with the English bird matey, you are overall better off in UK than here.
Old 06-30-2019, 01:49 PM   #10
OllieNZ

Quote:
Well, I would imagine, the little red Ti puts a grin every time, I mean just likes to rev up and just feels right. I'd say the biggest obstacle is going to be the manifold for the turbo, and how you mount it. If you are good with tig, go for it. You will do it. I would keep the stock manifold really, the MAF could use a upgrade, look into the PMAS HPX as it will work well. But truth be told for the power you are after, you might want a custom ECU system like Link (NZ Made).

Yep, no problem, happy to help where I can. I am in Northland, just a few hrs from Auckland Good going with the English bird matey, you are overall better off in UK than here.
I'm still trying to keep an open mind to new ideas while trying to solidify how I'm going to achieve my goals. Ironically perhaps I'm less concerned about the mechanical side of things than the electrical/fuel side of things. I'm going to at least investigate aftermarket ECU options. I live about 30mins away from the UK Motec HQ and their M400 ECU would fit the bill. There's also another company even closer that are not only a Motec dealer but also offer a few other interesting looking ECU options and a load of other kit and have a dyno to boot

Northland is one of the parts of the country I've spent the least time, despite being born in Auckland. Pretty much the only trip up there I remember was when I was in the RNZAF, we were up there with a chopper helping drop rat traps into the bush for DOC. Stayed at the Copthorne in Piahia and got to park the chopper on their front lawn
Old 07-28-2019, 11:15 PM   #11
Shanez

Hi there
I’m from nz too
I’ve got a sc z3 m44 with a spare engine that I’m want to rebuild
Looking at doing exactly what you are proposing can’t wait to see your thread!!
Shanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 12:52 PM   #12
OllieNZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanez View Post
Hi there
I’m from nz too
I’ve got a sc z3 m44 with a spare engine that I’m want to rebuild
Looking at doing exactly what you are proposing can’t wait to see your thread!!
Hey dude,

Good to some someone else that wants to play with the 4 banger.
My project has hit a bit of a bump due to my people carrier going tits up with a snapped cambelt. I've had to buy a new one which has eaten all my project money but I have acquired a 73mm MAF and map sensor off the dead people carrier, so not a total loss I suppose.
It's probably set me back a few months so it'll still be a little while before I start a build thread.