318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > HVAC

Notices

HVAC Heating, ventilation and air conditioning.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 106,480 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 69,398 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 66,640 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 04-24-2006, 03:44 AM   #1
denissef

Unhappy My car keeps overheating :(

I decided to open a new thread. This was my first post about this problem:

i replaced the radiator, thermostat, hoses, gaskets, etc. and still the car is overheating...i noticed the fan wasnt turning on..so i checked the fuses and they were ok. I removed the fan once again. I checked the fan motor and i saw a pipe like part where the cables from the fan motor go into and it seemed it had sand inside. i dont know the function of this part, so if someone can enlight me on this. After reading this post i am wondering if my problem is the sensor you have mentioned.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I thought the problem was the fan, but we tested it and it worked. It was not turning on whever it was supposed to, so we thought that we probably had to replace the temperature sensor. We did replace it for a new one. But still, the fan is not turning on, therefore the car overheats.
Some people think that maybe the thermostat is not working properly even though it is brand new.

Does anybody have any opinion? thought? advice? tip? Anything?!?!?!?!?

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
denissef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 03:57 AM   #2
aceyx

The part you mention is a thermal fuse. I don't know what the rating is on the stock one, but if you just connect the wires around it the fan will run.

If you do this, know that you can burn out the motor and possibly damage the wiring. Is there a number stamped on the fuse? The temp rating is sometimes (but not always) on there. Most electronic shops will carry a range, but you want to stick as close as possible. RatShack only has a few, and most of the normal stores don't carry them (but can be ordered).

As for the thermostat, get the car up to running temperature and feel the hoses on the left and right. If there's a significant temperature difference, the thermostat is opening up.
Old 05-07-2006, 05:56 PM   #3
denissef

Default I'm screwed

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceyx
The part you mention is a thermal fuse. I don't know what the rating is on the stock one, but if you just connect the wires around it the fan will run.

If you do this, know that you can burn out the motor and possibly damage the wiring. Is there a number stamped on the fuse? The temp rating is sometimes (but not always) on there. Most electronic shops will carry a range, but you want to stick as close as possible. RatShack only has a few, and most of the normal stores don't carry them (but can be ordered).

As for the thermostat, get the car up to running temperature and feel the hoses on the left and right. If there's a significant temperature difference, the thermostat is opening up.
Well, I replaced the radiator, replaced the thermostat, hoses, sensor (I ordered it directly from BMW with the number that was on the old sensor), replaced water pump and the car still overheats. then we tried what the quote above suggested, because the radiator fan never turned on. It finally worked, but I do not want to leave the car like that. There must be a solution for that problem, and not that type of solution. I would have to call BMW, and deal with the problem cause I cannot even take the car to the closest service center which is 45 mins away. I'm screwed
denissef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 07:04 PM   #4
KetteringTi

Connect it to run the fan all the time, then drive to the service center. That'll get you the 45 miles.
KetteringTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 07:43 PM   #5
aceyx

Pop over to bf.c and see if anybody knows the rating on the thermal fuse. They're simple to replace.

I fudged my last post; electronic stores often carry a range of thermal fuses. Not RatShack, but local electronics suppliers. Yellow book will list a few.
Old 05-08-2006, 05:50 PM   #6
TiTime

The same thing happend to me like 6 months ago. I replaced all that same stuff that you did. I finally was getting fed up and baffled , so, I took it to one of my mechanics. He had it for a couple hours. He said that all he did was drain & bleed the coolant system, refilled it with coolant, and everything was fine. To this day, everything still works and my car has not overheated. Don't know if this will help, but it's something easy to try anway.
TiTime is offline   Reply With Quote