318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Maintenance

Notices

Maintenance Service Interval questions, oil change info.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,023,993 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 03-25-2011, 03:25 AM   #1
slow_ti

Default Question, Radiator?

Hey all, quick question, i dont think my car has a cooling issue, but, a couple of days ago, i was helping my bro move, and my car was completely warmed up at its perfect operating temp, it was about 70 out side, and i accidentally let my car run (idle) for about a good 40 min, and when i got back in my car, the temp gauge was at 3 quarters high. so i shut it off for like 2 min, and then thought about it, and thought i needed to just drive it around and get some air running through my engine, i kept it below3k rpm, and as soon as i started driving around, it quickly went back to normal, and is still in its normal spot everytime i drive it. it has always been like a millimeter or so above the center, maybe i dont look at it straight but im OCD about these things lol. but now, i dont know the last time it was flushed and had new coolent in it, so would this help? the only time the temp will start to rise is if it idles for about a good 45 min in some serious heat. but once i drive it, it drops right back to normal state. what do you guys think this would be? i need new coolent? maybe thermostat, radiator, water pump? any suggestions would be awesome!
alec
slow_ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 03:40 AM   #2
spidertri

Vehicles

How is the coolant level when the engine is cold? Does the heater blow hot air?

98 328ti Morea Grun slicktop
11 128i space gray slicktop
13 JGC WK2 Deep Cherry

Search | RealOEM
spidertri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 03:55 AM   #3
jca

If you don't know how old the coolant is, I would say that you need to change it (every two years). That probably won't fix the overheating problem as you described it, but changing out the coolant will prolong the life of a lot of parts, most importantly your head gasket. Good luck!
jca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 04:02 AM   #4
zoner

Sounds like the fan isn't coming on- poss. fan switch?
zoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 04:04 AM   #5
slow_ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoner View Post
Sounds like the fan isn't coming on- poss. fan switch?
thats what my dad said, how could this be fixed. the heater blows hotttt.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:11 AM   #6
jca

I you don't know how old the coolant is, I would suggest that you change it out using BMW coolant. (Coolant needs to be changed every two years.) That probably won't fix your overheating problem as you describe it, but changing the coolant will prolong the life of several engine components, most importantly, the head gasket. Good luck!
jca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 04:21 AM   #7
zoner

Radiator fan switch is located on the passenger side of the radiator towards the top. It is a brass switch that looks like this:
Old 03-25-2011, 04:23 AM   #8
slow_ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoner View Post
Radiator fan switch is located on the passenger side of the radiator towards the top. It is a brass switch that looks like this:
thanks man, you have a part number for that? and how hard is it to install? shouldnt be hard at all? lol
Old 03-25-2011, 04:29 AM   #9
zoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow_ti View Post
thanks man, you have a part number for that? and how hard is it to install? shouldnt be hard at all? lol
Whichever one of these corresponds to your vehicle build date:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/cata...WATrad_pg1.htm

Your switch temperature and your thermostat temperature have to be matched- the temperature should be stamped on the side of the switch, IIRC.

Easy to install, and you don't even have to completely drain the radiator (but I would bleed it after you're done). Be very careful removing and installing it and DO NOT over tighten it or you'll be replacing the radiator as well.

Last edited by zoner; 03-25-2011 at 04:52 AM.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:36 AM   #10
Wallwalker2003

My fan switch is actually located on the front of the head under the intake but easily accessable. Just watch the wiring as when I removed mine it tried to dissappear under the intake.
Wallwalker2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 04:49 AM   #11
zoner

The switch located in the head is for the temp. gauge, if I'm not mistaken... The fan switch is the one in the radiator.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:57 AM   #12
Wallwalker2003

Must be a different birthdate than mine. I know that the temp switch is on the head on alot of these cars. But mine is also the fan switch. It has a 5 pin plug and I do not have any electrical connections or components connected to my radiator other than the cooling fan. I however familiar with where that switch would typically be located on the passenger side of the radiator about 1/4 way down. It is possible that the original owner of my car altered it and that is why the switch is different.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:11 AM   #13
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Should be head sensor is DME reading and temp gauge. Should have a plug in the rad for fan relays.
xxxJohnBoyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:14 PM   #14
Wallwalker2003

Had the dealership confirm what I already knew today. The temp sensor on my car is also the fan switch. The parts department told me for my car and vin there is no seperate fan control switch that it is part of the temp sensor. I don't know which one is the better way for them having done it. And I am not sure if there is a cost/benifit difference either. So if your isn't on the radiator as mine isn't then the temp sensor on the front of the head works as your switch as mine does.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:44 PM   #15
zoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallwalker2003 View Post
Had the dealership confirm what I already knew today. The temp sensor on my car is also the fan switch. The parts department told me for my car and vin there is no seperate fan control switch that it is part of the temp sensor. I don't know which one is the better way for them having done it. And I am not sure if there is a cost/benifit difference either. So if your isn't on the radiator as mine isn't then the temp sensor on the front of the head works as your switch as mine does.
Yeah, the temp sensor on my head is just a 2-pin sensor. If yours is 4 or 5-pin, there's obviously multiple things reading off of it. Learned something new today!