318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Interior and ICE

Notices

Interior and ICE For all interior and In Car Entertainment discussion.

» Recent Threads
OMG!OMG!
Today 08:53 AM
Last post by Kathylaf
Today 08:53 AM
0 Replies, 36 Views
FS: Racing Dynamics RGR...
05-24-2024 03:29 AM
Last post by 7Senna8
05-24-2024 03:29 AM
0 Replies, 984 Views
My 318ti build
05-21-2024 04:48 PM
Last post by Jclare318ti
05-21-2024 04:48 PM
0 Replies, 1,455 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 08-30-2006, 05:04 AM   #1
Variance

Default Rear speaker vibration?

Just today I started getting a weird noise coming from my rear speakers, specifically the midranges/woofers/whatever. No trace of it this morning, but this afternoon it randomly started. It sounds like a vibration, and it occurs whenever there's a bass note in a song. It's odd, at one point it got fairly bad, so I faded all the way to the front speakers, but tonight when I went out to the car to record it, it wasn't all that bad. Here's a sound clip I took that shows what I'm talking about: http://variance.ath.cx/forums/speakers.mp3
I turned the bass up, treble down, and faded to the rear speakers, and it produced the sound fairly similar to what I was hearing earlier. Could it possibly be that the rather hot weather the car's been in recently has caused the glue holding the speakers in place to loosen? Oh, and also, can anybody tell me how to remove the panel with the speakers in them so I can check?
Old 08-30-2006, 08:04 AM   #2
m3outtanowhere

first of all speakers blown! ...Music is not supposed to be adjusted "bass up, treble down, volume up." I know that u wanted to produce that sound...but, it will only make it worse. Second, Lower back seats, and remove felt "wall" by the shock tower. The speaker is removed from the bottom.
My 2 cents..replace both with a mid-quality. Or amp them and get some MB quart's...I did. AND as a professional stereo inst. I can tell you that "house or techno" music is bad for speakers at high volumes. (too much going on and Its all computer generated jumpy noise!) IMPO
Old 08-30-2006, 08:58 AM   #3
Variance

I'm aware that the adjustments I made can be detrimental to the speaker's health; I only ran it like that for ~25 seconds to grab the video. I never thought I played my music very loud, but I guess it could all be relative... How can I tell from a visual inspection if the speakers are blown? I guess I just don't see how they could be perfectly fine 2 hours earlier, then all of a sudden be blown when I start the car and go... Oh and also, would blown speakers vary in how severe the noise is? I really don't know much when it comes to audio equipment, so I'm trying to learn.
Old 08-30-2006, 10:11 AM   #4
3DGE

I need a new setuo also, my speakers are shot....Whats the best brand?
3DGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 04:25 PM   #5
mohaughn

The best brand is really subjective.. What sounds good to me may not sound good to you. You really have to match the speaker to what you like. Some people like really bright highs, and Infinity is usually fairly bright. Other people like a really flat sound across the board with no obvious bright spots Boston Acoustics or MB Quart tend to be relatively flat sounding on their higher end stuff.. Bottom line with stereo equipment really is you get what you pay for...

I also don't agree that electronic music is bad for speakers at high volume. Distortion ruins speakers.. and you get distortion by turning up your amplifier or head unit past the point that clipping starts. You can just as easily get distortion out of polka, rock, etc.. as you can with electronic music. The best way to avoid blowing speakers is to properly match the speakers to the amplification. If you have speakers that are rated at 50 watts RMS and you have 4 speakers. Get an amplifier that does 75x4 and make sure your gains are set properly. Most people blow speakers because they get speakers rated for a lot more power than they have in their amplifiers, or they buy cheap amplifiers that don't put out the amount of power that they claim. Or they do the really stupid thing of turning their gains all the way up which will cause clipping in almost all circumstances at relatively low volumes.

To the original poster if your speakers are really blown you also need to look into replacing your head unit/amp. But I think what you are describing may be that the speaker surround is either ripped or falling apart. That should be fairly easy to spot once you drop the speaker out. They will rip with age. And it is possible that it has been there before but you didn't hear it. Sometimes hearing issues with rear speakers is difficult in the front seat. If a song has a passage with low volume but deep bass it is easier to hear. Other songs you may not hear it at all. But it is usually a one day you don't hear it, another day you do, some days it sounds worse kind of thing. It really depends on what you are listening to. If the speakers are actually blown due to distortion and you just replace the speakers and not the amp you could end up blowing the next speakers as well. Amps fail, start generating more distortion and blow speakers. Heat can cause amps to reach clipping levels faster.
mohaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 05:09 PM   #6
kelso

just an fyi, not many brands make speakers for the 318ti as a perfect fit replacement... the speakers themselves twist in or something like that, its weird
kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 05:18 PM   #7
Variance

mohaugh, thanks for the info! I definately don't have my volume anywhere near the point of distortion, so I'm glad to hear that my speakers are most likely not blown. If the speaker surrounds are damaged like you say they could be, what would be my best course of action?
Old 08-30-2006, 07:01 PM   #8
mohaughn

That I recall the surrounds are paper. If that is torn or falling apart the speaker is essentially trash. You would have to drop it out and replace them. The only speakers where it is feasible to fix them is high end subwoofers used in SPL competition vehicles.
mohaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 09:42 PM   #9
Variance

Well, it looks like atleast one of them is blown...

Started pulling out the changer to check the other one, but it started raining.