318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Track, Auto-X & Drag Racing

Notices

Track, Auto-X & Drag Racing Discuss "organized" racing, car set-ups, driving techniques, track tips, events, driving schools, maintenance and more.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,007,793 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 01-09-2006, 03:24 AM   #16
IndianaTravis

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBlue
It would be awesome to have a bunch of tis at an auto-x! Are you guys running in SCCA? I have been looking at options for a club like that, but I have been leaning heavily to NASA because they have DEs often at place I could make it to. South Haven, MI, Detroit, MI Putnam, IN, Wampum, PA, and Lexington, OH.
I typically run the SCCA autocrosses. I haven't looked into NASA yet for DE's, because I've always figured I'd do the BMWCCA events. The BMWCCA driving schools I've been to (two of them, and didn't actually drive either time, just hung out with friends and took rides with instructors) were about as well run as I could imagine. A bit pricey, though, but NASA could be the same.
IndianaTravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 08:02 AM   #17
robcarync

i know im late, but wanted to thank you for all the info you gave me indiana travis...thanks a lot!
Pioneer Speakers [] Aluminum Billet door locks [] ACS Pedals/Deadrest [] ACS Shift Knob / E-Brake Handle [] Clear Corners/Tails/Sides [] Sylvania Exterior Lighting [] Custom CAI [] Dinan Engine Chip [] Dinan Transmission Chip [] H&R Race Springs [] Tokico Illumina Shocks [] BMW X-Brace [] Relocated Lighter Mod [] Custom iPod Mod
http://www.cardomain.com/id/robcarync
robcarync is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 02:23 AM   #18
andy

Interesting thing about this right now, is the SCCA is moving a lot of cars from GS to HS. In HS, I think the ti could really do quite well. AFAIK, no move is afoot to apply that move to the 4 cylinder bmws, even though they'd probably be fairly classed there.

Same for SP, well setup 325 / 328s are really tough to beat, but in a ti that's not as daily-driven friendly, a pretty fast ti could be put together. Secret weapon for SP - use a 4.44 LSD from the automatic ti. Take it from me, you have amaaazing off the line and slower turn torque with this tiny tiny rear end. Slower turns are nearly at redline (where the M42's actually making power) and faster turns are done in the meat of 3rd. Unfortuntely, that's only legal in SP. And count on 5000 rpms in 5th at 80mph on the way there.

I'd say stock (with the standard 3.45 LSD) and a stiffer front bar would be the best place for a ti at this point. You can easily squeeze 225/50x15s on stock size rims (get as light a rim as you can afford) and drive it like you stole it.
Old 01-16-2006, 11:06 PM   #19
btschafer

Given that the ti can do reasonably well in GS at the national level, it should rock in HS. Right now I don't see the ti being able to handle a well prepared and driven Cooper S. Despite that, I plan to keep trying. I've been tempted to petition the SCCA to move the car down a class.
btschafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 01:44 AM   #20
jekaio

if you have any questions on a cage setup let me know.

i just put my 4 point in about 2 months ago.

http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=8368
jekaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 08:32 PM   #21
AlaskaBlue

Has anyone ever done an evolution driving school? There is on in Cincinnati, Ohio April 1-2 and one in Meriville, Indiana May 6-7. I thought it might make a nice end of my freshman year of school present to myself
Old 01-19-2006, 01:44 AM   #22
IndianaTravis

I haven't, but I've known people who have. I would highly recommend it. I'd like to do one myself sometime, but my car is a ways away from being really ready to do anything like that.
IndianaTravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 03:53 PM   #23
iammemares

Hey Guys,

So I have a 96 M spec Ti that is totally stock. Still had the original control arms and bushings until 1 month ago. The M spec is standard with the 225/50/16, but I have a cheap pair of 15" take offs that I run for AutoX in AZ. Unfortunately the Azenis 215 tires are only available in 205/50s, no 225s!! So I run GS on the small azenis tires. I have raced 6 times so far. I have won all 6 events. Indeed the Ti can be very competitve if well driven. But it is a drivers car and extracting every last bit of perfromance can be challenging, especially on undersized tires.

I am not partial to the "classing" that the SCCA does. To put a 10 year old 138HP TI in the same class as a mini s with a limited slip diff is insane. Another hot prsopect in the GS class is the new mustang V6. A freakin 4.0L v6 against a Ti. I had to run against one last fall. I beat him, but it wasnt easy.

So point is, a well drven stock Ti can be VERY competitive in GS, and yes, it does raise alot of eyebrows. Spend money if you want to, but it is not needed.

Mark in Phx raising eyebrows and digging it.
iammemares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 03:56 PM   #24
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iammemares
Hey Guys,

So I have a 96 M spec Ti that is totally stock. Still had the original control arms and bushings until 1 month ago. The M spec is standard with the 225/50/16, but I have a cheap pair of 15" take offs that I run for AutoX in AZ. Unfortunately the Azenis 215 tires are only available in 205/50s, no 225s!! So I run GS on the small azenis tires. I have raced 6 times so far. I have won all 6 events. Indeed the Ti can be very competitve if well driven. But it is a drivers car and extracting every last bit of perfromance can be challenging, especially on undersized tires.

I am not partial to the "classing" that the SCCA does. To put a 10 year old 138HP TI in the same class as a mini s with a limited slip diff is insane. Another hot prsopect in the GS class is the new mustang V6. A freakin 4.0L v6 against a Ti. I had to run against one last fall. I beat him, but it wasnt easy.

So point is, a well drven stock Ti can be VERY competitive in GS, and yes, it does raise alot of eyebrows. Spend money if you want to, but it is not needed.

Mark in Phx raising eyebrows and digging it.
Good work Mark! It's always nice to hear someone kicking ass in a Ti!

'99 Dinan M3
DustenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 11:46 PM   #25
btschafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBlue
Has anyone ever done an evolution driving school? There is on in Cincinnati, Ohio April 1-2 and one in Meriville, Indiana May 6-7. I thought it might make a nice end of my freshman year of school present to myself
If you want to learn to be a better autocrosser, take the evo schools. I'll be working the Cincinnati Evo schools April 1/2. Over the last few years I've attended several schools and there is always something to learn. They're a great experience and you'll get a _lot_ of seat time. I figure my phase 1 school got me about a year's worth of seat time in one day...with national champion instructors to go along.
btschafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 01:53 AM   #26
Biggins

Default STS Parking Lot Racing Setup?

I've searched and read other posts and didn't want to hijack another similar thread, so I thought I'd post my questions/concerns here...

I've been getting ready for this season, but I've begun to consider buying a 318ti to prepare/run in STS. I ran my 95 318i in H-Stock last year (my first year) and finished toward the back of the pack at most events. I love the M42, but do you guys think that the M44 is better suited for autoX? I would also be doing 2-4 track days each year as well

Set up components I'd consider are:
TCKline Sport Suspension Kit with new RSMs
Eibach Sways
Team Dynamics 16" wheels
Falken RT615 225/50/16

I know a good bit about the E30 based rear, but... for those who have some experience, what are other main differences in suspension setups and tendencies between the 318ti and the regular E36 body to which I'm accustomed?
Biggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 02:27 AM   #27
andy

In general, the regular e36s tend to use more spring in the rear to get the car to rotate. The semi-trailing arms allow/give more rotation when trailing throttle into a turn -- definitely good in an autocross.

I'd say the M42 / M44 comparision is a wash. The M42's got a good (aggressive) Conforti chip available and probably easier to build up once you get past SP limitations, but the M44 responds to the DASC better and is slightly more torquey. I'd personally generally choose the M42 for what you're talking about.

IAC, the 318i in HS is going to be relatively more competitive than the 318ti in GS or STS, IMHO. SCCA should really put all 318s in the same stock class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggins
I've searched and read other posts and didn't want to hijack another similar thread, so I thought I'd post my questions/concerns here...

I've been getting ready for this season, but I've begun to consider buying a 318ti to prepare/run in STS. I ran my 95 318i in H-Stock last year (my first year) and finished toward the back of the pack at most events. I love the M42, but do you guys think that the M44 is better suited for autoX? I would also be doing 2-4 track days each year as well

Set up components I'd consider are:
TCKline Sport Suspension Kit with new RSMs
Eibach Sways
Team Dynamics 16" wheels
Falken RT615 225/50/16

I know a good bit about the E30 based rear, but... for those who have some experience, what are other main differences in suspension setups and tendencies between the 318ti and the regular E36 body to which I'm accustomed?
Old 02-24-2006, 04:23 AM   #28
John W

I too would give slight preference to the M42; no OBD II to worry about. An E36 318i in H-Stock is hard to knock. After all, an E36 318is won H-Stock at Nationals in 2003 (?), defeating a number of MINIs. That same car placed fourth this year or last. That's a pretty impressive showing in what has become a very competitive class. My vote would be to keep your '95 in H Stock and take it as far as the rules allow. It should be less expensive and more competitive to build your car for that class than for STS. (My 318ti is currently in STX where it is woefully outclassed. It wouldn't fare much better in STS.)

I am certainly no expert on building an autocross car and am not 100 percent familiar with the H-Stock rules (so consult the rulebook first), but fresh front end suspension components, adjustable Konis, R-compound tires, an autocross-oriented alignment, synthetic fluids throughout, etc. are all good ways to start. You can probably get some good (mixed with some bad) advice over on bimmerforums.com's autocross/track message board.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...et/sig-318.jpg
John W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 05:54 AM   #29
AlaskaBlue

I have quite a few mods on my car..coil-overs, chip, 9lb flywheel, exhaust, emissions delete, panel filter, Magnecor wires, different cabs, ac removal, cf/kevlar seats, 8.5 x 17 rims, synthetic fuilds, 330 front brakes. I think that is everything that would upclass me. What class would I be in? Would I be competitive? I also have a sponsor that would help me out with fees and etc. Should I just not worry about it?
Old 02-25-2006, 02:29 AM   #30
Biggins

Although I'm autoXing it this year, I'm making my 318i strictly my daily driver with no intentions of autoX/track for it in the future beyond this year. I'm very aware of its capabilities in H-Stock, but I'd prefer to run a 318ti most likely in STS.

Also, I guess I didn't point out, but I usually only run SCCA events for fun and I focus my "competitive" autoXing on my local BMWCCA events. It will serve autoX/track duty for a few years before I hope to make it a NASA GTS/BMWCCA club race car.

AlaskaBlue: I think you'd be in DSP, but don't worry about anything except learning if it's your first time(s) out.

andy: I may contact you soon with some 318ti track questions if you don't mind.
Biggins is offline   Reply With Quote