318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Wheels and Tires

Notices

Wheels and Tires Discussion of different brands of tires, sizes and wheels.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 992,868 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 07-09-2003, 07:11 AM   #1
sacred_318ti

I just bought my car a 1996 318ti with 50k miles and base package. I am running them on the steel wheels and hubcaps that came with the car. I want to get a tire/wheel package for pretty cheap, any suggestions on where? I am fairly happy with how tall my car is so i probably wont lower it, I am thinking about 17's can anyone recommend me a good looking fairly cheap set? and also I want to install it myself with my jack, dunno if this is a right decision because i know little bout wheels but know how to change a spare tire, I am confused w=on the lugz and spcaers and what i need with everything. Plus, anyone live in orange county, california whoo can help me install for a price or knows a good shop? plz i need much feedback
sacred_318ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 05:18 PM   #2
2ndBimmer

I bought my 16" wheels off of eBay for $380 inc shipping. Putting the wheels on isnt a problem and most wheels likely wont need spacers. I bought my tires from Tirerack.com and had my mechanic put them on (another $350 and $60). Its mounting the tires on wheels that (so the tires warn) you must be a professional at.
2ndBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 06:44 PM   #3
J!m

Vehicles

For the easiest solution I would say go to tirerack.com and enter your car (and color). Then you can see all the whels that fit your car, on the car.

They will mount and balance the tires on the wheels, and all you have to do is bolt them on. No spacers or other crap to worry about.

They carry many tire and wheel brands, and though not impossible, the price is tuff to beat.

Order Swap Manuals Here => http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12912

WolferJ- gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 11:13 PM   #4
96cali

If you can afford time search ebay for bmw wheels/tires, etc but select "items in my region" afterwards. Often the biggest cost is shipping depending on where you are you can save $$ right there. Being in SoCal you should find lots of rims for sale. All e36 cars (such as your 318ti) have the same lug spacing (120mm) and offset (46mm I think, anyone? ). It's only when you stray from that you need spacers etc. Don't go too wide or you will rub in front. Search this forum for actual sizes, comments, etc.

Be aware that upping your rim size should not affect your ride height as the tires get thinner as the rims get fatter. What does hapen though is your "wheel gap" becomes accentuated when the tire profile (sidewall height) reduces. Running 17's on a base suspension ti will look like your 4-wheelin it through the mud bogs. Not pretty. Get a nice set of 16's and your ride will be nicer, tires cheaper and it still looks OK with the base suspension IMO. And like J!m said, tirerack is a great place to start.
96cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 04:18 AM   #5
moku
islander on the mainland

For inexpensive wheels, try Discount Tire Co./America's Tire Co. (http://www.tires.com). They have 16" wheels that start at $110/each and BMW replicas that start around $130/each.

If you want to invest a little more money and get better quality wheels, go to Tire Rack (http://www.tirerack.com). They carry BBS, Breyton, OZ, and a few other brands. They do have Borbets that start around $100/each, but they're 15". 16" start out around $140/each.

Also, it's a good idea to get your tires at the same time as you can put together a better deal.

I got my 17" BBS RK wheels with Yokohama AVS ES100 235/45ZR17 tires for about $1500 shipped. They came in 2 bundles via UPS, and I was able to install them that night using the OEM jack.

Hope that helps...
moku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 11:42 AM   #6
fourbanger

Hey moku, i got some questions for yah

How are those BBS's holding up to the rubbing? Are you getting a lot? I'm planning on going with a similar setup (PSS coil overs on 17" BBS LMs) but i'm concerned with clearance..

By any chance do you have upgraded brakes too? I'm wondering how much clearance i'll have with the LM's and a big brake kit.
Old 07-11-2003, 05:53 PM   #7
moku
islander on the mainland

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbanger
Hey moku, i got some questions for yah

How are those BBS's holding up to the rubbing? Are you getting a lot? I'm planning on going with a similar setup (PSS coil overs on 17" BBS LMs) but i'm concerned with clearance..

By any chance do you have upgraded brakes too? I'm wondering how much clearance i'll have with the LM's and a big brake kit.
Fortunately, I haven't experienced any rubbingóI've heard that it's more common with 18" wheels.

But I do know that with the Bilstein PSS coil over kits, you'll have to use spacers up front with 17s. I believe it has to do with the amount of room for the springs.

And as much as I would love to upgrade to larger brakes, I haven't yet. But I think it should be a problem for you if you're going with 17s.
Old 07-14-2003, 05:57 PM   #8
fourbanger

actually with the Bilstein's I read the recomendation was spacers if the front rims are larger than 7.5x17. As for the brakes, why do you think it should be a problem?
Old 07-14-2003, 06:21 PM   #9
moku
islander on the mainland

Quote:
actually with the Bilstein's I read the recomendation was spacers if the front rims are larger than 7.5x17. As for the brakes, why do you think it should be a problem?
Sorry about that... You're right, I should've been more specific. Rims that are 8x17 or larger.

And I think it shouldn't be a problem with the bigger brakes.

Sorry for the confusion...
Old 07-15-2003, 04:26 PM   #10
fourbanger

Sweet. Just gotta save up some paychecks :P
It'd probably be easier if i didn't spend all my money on gas.

BTW, how are those yoko's handling? I've heard good things about them.
Old 07-17-2003, 07:02 AM   #11
moku
islander on the mainland

Quote:
Sweet. Just gotta save up some paychecks :P
It'd probably be easier if i didn't spend all my money on gas.

BTW, how are those yoko's handling? I've heard good things about them.
I feel you on the paychecks and gas...

As far as my tires, they handle fairly well. Good traction during wet or dry conditions, very little roadnoise, agressive tread pattern, and a great treadwear rating for a Z-rated tire (280). I recommend them to everyone.