318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Induction

Notices

Induction Superchargers, NO2 and turbos.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 99,239 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 62,197 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 59,464 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 08-15-2010, 07:17 PM   #1
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Default Midnight Tuning

I've been testing code from Barrie at Midnight tuning over the weekend. He worked with me for 6+ hours Thursday & Friday sending code. I flashed many times with no changes due to a issue with my flasher . He is very cool to work with and I have to say the code has been excellent now that my flasher is working.

So far he has eliminated my CEL for adaption errors. Moved me to 60# injectors and now I have excellent non boost drivability. My transition to boost is seamless which I never had. I've boosted 20psi with no Meth on 93 octane.

I have to say I'm completely happy with everything I've seen so far. Barrie @ Midnight is quick on changes, accurate with the changes and the code has been a real improvement over the complete RPM range.

We are still in the beginning of tuning since we have not logged anything, touched timing or MAF but this has been a real eye opener on how well he is able to write code and how much HP is untapped. I look forward to finishing up the tune in the following weeks. This is also a long distance tune so he is only making changes by my feedback which slows the process and is hard on him.

The pricing is great and Barrie has been very knowledgeable and great to work with.

I will report back but I say 2 thumbs up for Midnight Tuning.

This is OBD-II but he specializes in OBD-I

Last edited by xxxJohnBoyxxx; 08-15-2010 at 07:50 PM. Reason: I hope his tuning is better than your spelling. :) I studder Man is there a problem with that that???
xxxJohnBoyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:59 PM   #2
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Folks, I just ran some 60# injector code that put my dick in the dirt. Adapted in 3 miles and after 7 miles I ran a 16.7psi boost and it was 12:1 AFR. No CEL's yet. If any are going to come they will be hitting before 25 miles. I'm getting ready to hook all the wires up for loggin on the LM-2 so we can get full data logs of the tune over the next week.

Man I'm excited Best the car has run ever. The 16.7psi boost wasted the clutch in 3rd gear so I have to change it right away. I've got a 405 ftlb Spec kit ready to install but it so dang hot outside plus I have to mow the 4 lawns

Running so good I'm scared something is going to break, that's how it always goes.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:04 PM   #3
Marv17

do you have a contact number, email, or link?

-Theta Chi-
Float like a cadilac, sting like a BIMMER

.... my socket is just too thick and won't fit in the hole! damnit!

Marv's 332ti is in the werks. Stay tuned ya'll ...

Check list: S52 swap, manual transmission swap, 3.25 LSD with M Coupe diff cover, SuperSprint muffler, M3 style mirrors, AFE intake, ASC delete, M50 Manifold swap, UUC strut bar, ZHP lighted knob, Vaders, M-tech interior, OEM armrest, AC Schintzer front lip, AC Schnitzer rear spoiler, Roof spoiler, 18'' rims, M3 front drilled brakes, LED interior lights, 3 spoke Euro style steering wheel, OEM roof spoiler and bike holder, Thule fairing, Euro tail lights, oil pressure guage, carbon fiber hood painted to original paint (still showing CF weaving), what's next to do...?
Marv17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 01:40 PM   #4
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Barrie @ midnight-tuning
midnight-tuning@rogers.com

Last edited by xxxJohnBoyxxx; 08-20-2010 at 04:16 PM.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:48 AM   #5
RAiMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxJohnBoyxxx View Post
Barrie @ midnight-tuning
bigbadbear1984@hotmail.com
Almost thought that was an Australian number. I was like WTF! lols.

Good to hear you're getting great results John Looking forward to updates
BMW E39 528i Touring
Performance at its best
RAiMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 02:11 PM   #6
bmwconnect

Quote:
I've been testing code from Barrie at Midnight tuning over the weekend. He worked with me for 6+ hours Thursday & Friday sending code. I flashed many times with no changes due to a issue with my flasher . He is very cool to work with and I have to say the code has been excellent now that my flasher is working.

So far he has eliminated my CEL for adaption errors. Moved me to 60# injectors and now I have excellent non boost drivability. My transition to boost is seamless which I never had. I've boosted 20psi with no Meth on 93 octane.

I have to say I'm completely happy with everything I've seen so far. Barrie @ Midnight is quick on changes, accurate with the changes and the code has been a real improvement over the complete RPM range.

We are still in the beginning of tuning since we have not logged anything, touched timing or MAF but this has been a real eye opener on how well he is able to write code and how much HP is untapped. I look forward to finishing up the tune in the following weeks. This is also a long distance tune so he is only making changes by my feedback which slows the process and is hard on him.

The pricing is great and Barrie has been very knowledgeable and great to work with.

I will report back but I say 2 thumbs up for Midnight Tuning.

This is OBD-II but he specializes in OBD-I

thanks john and my email for tuning is midnight-tuning@rogers.com

cheers folks
Old 08-20-2010, 05:30 PM   #7
Marv17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwconnect View Post
thanks john and my email for tuning is midnight-tuning@rogers.com

cheers folks
are you able to do tuning for the S52 by any chance?

-Theta Chi-

Check list: S52 swap, manual transmission swap, 3.25 LSD with M Coupe diff cover, SuperSprint muffler, M3 style mirrors, AFE intake, ASC delete, M50 Manifold swap, UUC strut bar, ZHP lighted knob, Vaders, M-tech interior, OEM armrest, AC Schintzer front lip, AC Schnitzer rear spoiler, Roof spoiler, 18'' rims, M3 front drilled brakes, LED interior lights, 3 spoke Euro style steering wheel, OEM roof spoiler and bike holder, Thule fairing, Euro tail lights, oil pressure guage, carbon fiber hood painted to original paint (still showing CF weaving), what's next to do...?
Old 08-20-2010, 07:25 PM   #8
bmwconnect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv17 View Post
are you able to do tuning for the S52 by any chance?
Yes for sure...do you have your own flasher? MS41 dme I take it
Old 08-20-2010, 07:34 PM   #9
Marv17

Quote:
Yes for sure...do you have your own flasher? MS41 dme I take it
no, but i would like to look into it. how and where would i be able to get one for my own?
what are the costs for the flasher and the flash, any ideas?

-Theta Chi-

Old 08-20-2010, 08:33 PM   #10
bmwconnect

Quote:
no, but i would like to look into it. how and where would i be able to get one for my own?
what are the costs for the flasher and the flash, any ideas?
I don't relay deal with clone tools so you can talk to john.. he has his own clone bench flasher setup...A NA flash tune for that motor is $320us

Regards
Old 08-20-2010, 09:33 PM   #11
xxxJohnBoyxxx

I guess I'm up...I have all flashing tools for ODB-I and OBD-II. I think I can can flash most units 2002 and older DME units K-Line only or chip. If you want I can flash any of Mid-Nights (Barrie's) code. I do trust his standard code flashes. Any custom flashes will need to be made at my house with logging so Barrie can dial it in.

PM or email jsmith50@tampabay.rr.com

Last edited by xxxJohnBoyxxx; 08-20-2010 at 09:35 PM. Reason: I'm an idoit
Old 08-20-2010, 09:42 PM   #12
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Also: If you are computer savy I can show you how to make a flasher for $40 on Ebay for Galletto software and hardware to flash your DME and $25 for a DME harness and $20 from radio shack and you have a bench flasher to flash your OBD-II DME. You need a reliable coder to tweak you code...

OBD-I you need a Willem programmer off Ebay for about $30 and chips for $.50 and code which you need to buy from a reliable source.

John Smith
Old 08-20-2010, 11:58 PM   #13
Marv17

Quote:
I don't relay deal with clone tools so you can talk to john.. he has his own clone bench flasher setup...A NA flash tune for that motor is $320us

Regards
okay. for sure. however, what is a base price that i would be looking at for a tune/flash that would be tuned for a 3.5inch HFM, M50 manifold, Rev limiter and an evap check removed?
Quote:
Also: If you are computer savy I can show you how to make a flasher for $40 on Ebay for Galletto software and hardware to flash your DME and $25 for a DME harness and $20 from radio shack and you have a bench flasher to flash your OBD-II DME. You need a reliable coder to tweak you code...

OBD-I you need a Willem programmer off Ebay for about $30 and chips for $.50 and code which you need to buy from a reliable source.

John Smith
wow, can you show/tell me how to do it? i'd be really interested in doing this.
i should email you later tonight regarding details... or if you want, you can email me too @ mblanco17@hotmail.com

-Theta Chi-

Old 08-21-2010, 12:28 AM   #14
bmwconnect

Quote:
okay. for sure. however, what is a base price that i would be looking at for a tune/flash that would be tuned for a 3.5inch HFM, M50 manifold, Rev limiter and an evap check removed?
Would need the car in hand to do a 3.5maf conversion or you need some serious logging equipment on your end ... Rev-limit no problems, M50man all ready have a tune for that so no problems there... never had to do a evap check remove and would be a pain to disassemble the binary code to find the on/off switch so to speak

regards|
Old 08-21-2010, 03:25 AM   #15
xxxJohnBoyxxx

I personally would like to do a 3.5" MAF change but the code work needed is hands on for sure. I peg my 3" M3 MAF all the time during high boost runs but deal with it since the trouble to get it converted to 3.5" is BIG unless I can be at the coders house so he can work on my car. It's that hard to do and i wish someone would do a 3" to 3.5" for the M5.2 so we had it but I think I'm the only one that needs it right now and I don't live near Barrie who is the only coder who is interested in writing code for my car.

Still I got some kick butt code running on the 3" MAF that will spank any I-6 N/A and maybe a few low boosted ones due to my very low weight.