318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Lounge

Notices

Lounge Temporary forum until new sections are suggested.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 997,000 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 08-30-2006, 05:17 PM   #16
kelso

my brother had a 337 edition gti like mentioned and it looked absolutely stunning. the whole car was stunning, plus it had a few extras that made it an absolute blast to drive. my TI looks pretty good, feels great, but the stock exhaust is terrible sounding. handles great but isnt what id call fast.
kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 06:58 PM   #17
CptnNemo

I'm going to chime in on this one, because it is the same decision I am currently making. The GTI has some advantages, mainly that the 1.8t engine is a great platform to work with. If you're planning to race the car, or significantly mod the mechanics, then you'll be able to reach the top speed of a heavily mod'ed TI with almost just a chip in the VW. I'm assuming that you're looking at the mk4 GTI's and not the mk 3's (the threes are ass ugly). I believe the mk4 was first seen in the states in late '97/early '98. This is something to keep in mind. I have a '99 golf (second model run) and the thing is falling apart quicker than I can patch it. With the GTI, the sleek interior suffers from some unique problems (glove compartments door breaks on almost every car, cup holder breaks, folding seats break, rear ashtray falls apart), and some problems that are shared with the TI (window regulators). On both cars the suspension needs care, but if you are replacing either with atfermarket stuff, it's a scartch on which is better. Remember if you're racing a VW hatch - it corners on only three wheels.

The upside to the 318ti is that it's a BMW, drives like a BMW, and looks like a BMW. It's also a unique car, and you might be the only one at the track or show with a 318ti, where as you'll be one of 50 with a GTI. What fits your style best?
CptnNemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 08:30 PM   #18
wasabinuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnNemo View Post
I'm going to chime in on this one, because it is the same decision I am currently making. The GTI has some advantages, mainly that the 1.8t engine is a great platform to work with. If you're planning to race the car, or significantly mod the mechanics, then you'll be able to reach the top speed of a heavily mod'ed TI with almost just a chip in the VW. I'm assuming that you're looking at the mk4 GTI's and not the mk 3's (the threes are ass ugly). I believe the mk4 was first seen in the states in late '97/early '98. This is something to keep in mind. I have a '99 golf (second model run) and the thing is falling apart quicker than I can patch it. With the GTI, the sleek interior suffers from some unique problems (glove compartments door breaks on almost every car, cup holder breaks, folding seats break, rear ashtray falls apart), and some problems that are shared with the TI (window regulators). On both cars the suspension needs care, but if you are replacing either with atfermarket stuff, it's a scartch on which is better. Remember if you're racing a VW hatch - it corners on only three wheels.

The upside to the 318ti is that it's a BMW, drives like a BMW, and looks like a BMW. It's also a unique car, and you might be the only one at the track or show with a 318ti, where as you'll be one of 50 with a GTI. What fits your style best?
For the record MKIV's came to the US in late 99 and MKIII's (93-99) are not ugly. Case and point:
wasabinuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 08:39 PM   #19
CptnNemo

My mk4 golf was manufactured in 11/98 and was purchased 1/99. The GTI's debuted before the golf's did. It's also sorta funny that the mk3 you show has the mk4 look alike headlights, front valance, and mk4 wheels. If you want the mk3 to look good, just make sure it looks like a mk4 I guess is the point you're trying to make? All that is beside the point.

What I'm saying is VW's are not that durable to begin with, but getting the first model year of a new car design is even less durable, especially from VW. You'd be much better off with a 2001 GTI or newer.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:07 PM   #20
Etienne

In regards to service etc. A friend who had the Tdi complained non-stop about the service he got from VW (he bought it in Alaska, but was living in PA when I knew him). He mentioned something about the dealerships being independently owned... is this true? Is this the case for BMW dealerships as well?

image from: http://www.lasershows.ro/site/ro/graficalaser.htm
Etienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 09:13 PM   #21
wasabinuki

I meant late 99 model year. VW made MKIII's the beginning of model year 99, then switched to MKIV's. That's is why I refer to them as early and late. The GTI above does have MKIV wheels and similar lights, but the front valance is a Euro MKIII VR6 one. I personally like the lines of a the MKIII's, rims and lights are icing on the cake The point I was trying to make was that they look good. I do agree with you that VW's are not a durable as BMW's and that first year runs have more problems than later ones.
wasabinuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 09:45 PM   #22
CptnNemo

I hate the mk3's. I love the 2's and fours, but not the threes. The make three just seems to be all over the place. And for some reason, the rear wheel well looks strange.

Well...I mean every dealership I know is independantly owned. For example, Boch Toyota is owned by Boch. He owns lots of other dealerships too, but Toyota doesn't own any dealerships in the area, as far as I can tell. My family is running into this problem with our new Toyota. One shop doesn't want to do the warentee work because they might lose money, so they tell us to go to the shop it was purchased at, which won't really give us the time of day. I think that's the same for any car though.
Old 08-30-2006, 10:46 PM   #23
Calgary98TI

Default I have had a few GTI's

I will reply back on this one, since I have had a few GTI's MK 1, Mk2 & MK3. The MK1 & MK2 were built the best. But I did not have any issues with my MK3 (4cyl 115hp). But had friends with similar year VW's that had lots of problems. The early Mk4's did come with a 4 cyl 115hp engine. The 1.8t (150hp) didn't come out until 2000 or 2001, the hp was upped to 180hp for 2002. At the time the MK3 were a good design, they have not aged well. I saw a great restoration of a late 79 or 80 MK1 GTI (Canada got the GTI a few years ahead of the US)
Calgary98TI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 02:22 AM   #24
scabzzzz

Ti's are the slowest pieces of crap ever. They were built to be modded and torn apart. Im actually selling mine right now so i can buy a GTI and start modding it. haha. Oh btw.... HELLO EVERYONE. 1st POST ON THIS FORUM
scabzzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 02:40 AM   #25
1996 328ti

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by scabzzzz View Post
Ti's are the slowest pieces of crap ever. They were built to be modded and torn apart. Im actually selling mine right now so i can buy a GTI and start modding it. haha. Oh btw.... HELLO EVERYONE. 1st POST ON THIS FORUM
You ask for help in a PM and trash the ti here.
BMW CCA #146825
1996 BMW 328ti • 2003 MINI Cooper S • 2016 M235i
www.bmwcca.org
1996 328ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 03:12 AM   #26
scabzzzz

i love my Ti!!! I hate the 4cyl junk box they throw in it. I have not had a very good experience with BMW's lately i guess i should say. I think id rather work on a mercedes at this point

Mmm..
Old 08-31-2006, 03:13 AM   #27
scabzzzz

And for the record.... you were very helpful. Thank you Moderator.

Mmm..
Old 08-31-2006, 03:15 AM   #28
scabzzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etienne View Post
In regards to service etc. A friend who had the Tdi complained non-stop about the service he got from VW (he bought it in Alaska, but was living in PA when I knew him). He mentioned something about the dealerships being independently owned... is this true? Is this the case for BMW dealerships as well?
i thought all dealerships were independently owned? its like being into a franchise. bmw dealerships require ass loads of money to start and run and i know that for a fact. we only have 1 in our area.

Mmm..
Old 08-31-2006, 03:32 AM   #29
1996 328ti

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by scabzzzz View Post
i thought all dealerships were independently owned? its like being into a franchise. bmw dealerships require ass loads of money to start and run and i know that for a fact. we only have 1 in our area.
BMW dealerships are all privately owned. These always them to charge markup parts, adjust labor rates how they see fit. But they also must maintain good a Customer Service Index otherwise they will loose their allotment of cars.
BMW CCA #146825
1996 BMW 328ti • 2003 MINI Cooper S • 2016 M235i
www.bmwcca.org
1996 328ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 11:43 PM   #30
Etienne

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996 328ti View Post
BMW dealerships are all privately owned. These always them to charge markup parts, adjust labor rates how they see fit. But they also must maintain good a Customer Service Index otherwise they will loose their allotment of cars.
Any idea what he would be complaining about then? Do VW dealerships have a similar CSI system?

image from: http://www.lasershows.ro/site/ro/graficalaser.htm
Etienne is offline   Reply With Quote