318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Lounge

Notices

Lounge Temporary forum until new sections are suggested.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,020,169 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 03-16-2010, 03:10 AM   #1
Kraln

Unhappy A deeply personal, damningly difficult question

Today, while out driving, I saw a Blue 'ti with a CCA badge on i-270 which I was driving next to through the exit to i-370. As I was exiting, he passed me: I waved, he waved. It brought into startling clarity the turmoil through which I am going through.

Tomorrow, I am going to drive to Orlando, from Maryland. Tonight, I swapped the winter tires/wheels for my summer high performance set. The rears were a bit stuck, and needed some convincing. I need some convincing.

My car is a 1995 318ti active in Cosmosschwarz. It has the limited slip, the obc, the sunroof, leather steering wheel, and pretty much every option available. It also has 145k or so miles now (I bought it at 78k). The interior has started to deteriorate. The passenger lock doesn't lock with the rest of the power locks. The driver's lock just had the plastic part come off, and the metal part appears cracked. The fabric on the headliner is falling down, and the front leather seats were so torn that I have replaced them with cloth seats (and cloth front panels to go along with them -- the rear is still all leather).

It has never broken down or left me stranded. Every 5000 miles it gets new, synthetic oil. I replaced the clutch myself at around 110k. I keep up on maintenance, religiously, and you can tell by the way it drives. I struggle to find justification to do the 140k service. It's expensive, and probably more so than the value of the car. It could use new springs in the back, and most of the bushings and so forth in the suspension and shifter assembly need to be replaced.

My ideal replacement would be a 120d, of the five-door variety. However, I live in the US, so my options for manual, diesel, essentially lead me to Mercedes, or VW. Today, I test drove this car. It's the first car I've ever driven which leaves my car lacking in comparison.

The deeply personal, damningly difficult question is: What do I do?
Old 03-16-2010, 03:15 AM   #2
tiFreak

Vehicles

I would just do the maintenance work as you can afford it, a diesel Jetta doesn't seem like it would have the same fun factor as the ti
tiFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 03:31 AM   #3
Bluebimma

Ive driven quite a few vdubs and honestly, theyre cool, but the ti has always brought me back to the hole. Sure theyre getting outdated and maintenance creeps up, but the same will happen with your new car. Jettas only come in fwd and, to me, lack the fun factor because of that. To me, they become just a transport unit that can only look pretty. If anything, id go over to a MB or audi with quattro.

I vote maintenance, as its not as expensive as people think.

1998 Schwartz II sport 318ti - M50TUB25/5
Bluebimma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 04:05 AM   #4
MPWR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraln View Post
The ...question is: What do I do?
Join CCA. But otherwise....

What do you want out of your car? Before you're ready to decide that, it's a bit pointless to offer advice.

A ti with 150k is a fantastic car, for the right person. So the question is are you the right person (or do you want to be?)?

If you're willing to do your own work, you could not find a less expensive BMW to own. (You'd be hard pressed to find any German car less expensive to own.) It also would be hard to find a car that is easier to work on, and is more rewarding of your efforts. If you're a DIYer or have ever wanted to become one, you could not do better. But if this is not what you want from you car, it might not be the right car for you.

If you want something that looks new, or feels new, or that the dealer will change the oil for you, maybe you want something else. But it would be hard to find something new that would be as fun to drive for five times the 'value' of your ti. If you're willing to put just a bit of money and effort into it, your ti will easily see you to 300k or more- if you would feel good about driving a car that far.

Who's going to enjoy your ti more- you, or the person you might sell it to...?

'97 318ti M-Sport
'95 M3
BMWCCA
MPWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 04:37 AM   #5
spidertri

Vehicles

My family has two Mk4 Jetta TDIs, one has been modded a little and it is pretty fun to drive. I love the torque that car has, turbo is spooled and ready to go at 2000rpm and it pulls really strong up to 4600rpm. Doesn't sound like much but in a car that can easily get 50mpg on the highway, that is awesome. The stock one is a dog, slow and painful.

There is a lot of power to be had from the diesel, if that is what you're after. TDIclub is a great site to check out if you haven't already.

However, if I had the means, I would totally get a 325tds motor and swap it in my ti. It gives the fun tossability of the ti with a great torquey diesel engine.

Check this out http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=18732

98 328ti Morea Grun slicktop
11 128i space gray slicktop
13 JGC WK2 Deep Cherry

Search | RealOEM
spidertri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 05:10 AM   #6
pdxmotorhead

The TDI's owned by co-workers friends etc are all hanger queens. VW seems to go from hero to zero and back between production runs. Biggest offender is electrical problems.

You either get a jewel or a lemon and it seems to be about 60 40 split....

Just 2 cents of bench racing....

There is always the 3 series diesel if you have to have one.....

Dave
pdxmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 11:32 AM   #7
chudzikb

I have both the ti, and 2 03 VW TDI's, Golf and Jetta. They are different animals. The diesels, both very high mileage, have not be modified, but, could be easily. They are for long drives and at that they excel. The range of a diesel can not be matched by gas drivetrains. The ti is more of a cult car. (so says my Indy) I do most of my own work and it makes it affordable.

Why not keep the ti, and add a used TDI? As said above tdiclub has tons of information regarding the different models and problems to be encountered with each generation. Hey, its a VW, it's designed to break! Timing belt breaks and the fun is over. Window regulators fail on a regular basis, as well as other numerous and varied problems. However, the VW's have vagcom, and that tool makes it all worthwile. Each generation has its weaknesses, make sure you understand what they are and how they are dealt with to keep your sanity!

In the end the decision is yours and you must be comfortable with what you do.
chudzikb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 02:19 PM   #8
PrimeTimeSlime

My dad bought a Jetta TDI and had the worst experience I have ever heard of. The thing just kept breaking down, one thing after another, until the dealer finally agreed to give him a new one (but only after months of dealing with the lemon and fighting with VW over it). Also, the dealer has to do everything, even changing wiper blades, and it is super expensive. Dont bother with a VW.
PrimeTimeSlime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 06:18 PM   #9
chudzikb

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeTimeSlime View Post
My dad bought a Jetta TDI and had the worst experience I have ever heard of. The thing just kept breaking down, one thing after another, until the dealer finally agreed to give him a new one (but only after months of dealing with the lemon and fighting with VW over it). Also, the dealer has to do everything, even changing wiper blades, and it is super expensive. Dont bother with a VW.

It's bad, but, it is not THAT bad. Sure there will be those cars that are possessed, but, from my experience through countless VW's that are diesels, they hold up well if maintained to the T. Ignore them and they will screw you in a heartbeat, treat well, and they will do the same for you. Although as the guy above states, there are exceptions to every rule.
chudzikb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 06:31 PM   #10
b.u.ti-ful

I want to respond but the photos of that Jetta are making meee veeery sleeeepy.......

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
b.u.ti-ful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 05:41 AM   #11
pdxmotorhead

Never buy an american made german car,,,,, :P

Funny thing, All my Golf owner friends are pretty happy, its the Jetta's that seem to have the gremlins....

Dave
pdxmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 12:25 PM   #12
amancuso

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead View Post
Never buy an american made german car,,,,, :P

Funny thing, All my Golf owner friends are pretty happy, its the Jetta's that seem to have the gremlins....

Dave
My Z3 was made in Spartanburg, SC.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:56 PM   #13
Kraln

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPWR View Post
Join CCA.
I've been a member for a while

Quote:
If you're willing to do your own work, you could not find a less expensive BMW to own.
I am, but I've moved into a downtown condo and I don't have a garage anymore, let alone the proper tools. I've been doing almost all of my own maintenance.

Quote:
If you want something that looks new, or feels new, or that the dealer will change the oil for you, maybe you want something else.
Could care less about the dealer maintenance. I'm looking for something I won't have nightmares about my wife driving in the snow.

Looks like I'll be seeing how much it'll be to keep it up for the immediate future.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:28 PM   #14
Mallard

Vehicles

are you ready for the voice of reason?

-

Seriously, probably any new (post 2005) is going to make your car pale in comparison. Simply because its newer

By the description of your Ti, it sounds like yours if quite a decent version, albeit in poorer condition.

The lock issue , just a lockingmotor solonoid,
the plastic cover easily sourced and replaced
headliner repair simple enough, just time consuming but there are DIYs on the Org
The seats, well thats a matter of budget. get what you feel you need there, but there are full cabins for sale regularly
The service. Oil filter, Air filter, Spark plugs and coolant swap. All have DIYS on here
The bushes are probably a workshop job if you arenīt equipped, But there are a few friendly lads here that may be willing to help for beer money

Compare the cost of the above against the potential monthly cost of leasing/loaning the money for a 1 series or such..

Trust me when i say, for the money you will "give" away, you could turn yours into a minter

I however chose the darkside and sold the Ti on for an E90
It wasnt the most fiscally sensible decision, but i am happy with the car as she is

So think about it, but in the end it is up to you

Vin Number decode and Retrofit Pdfs Available Free ! Just PM
Mallard is offline   Reply With Quote