318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Lounge

Notices

Lounge Temporary forum until new sections are suggested.

» Recent Threads
1997 manual 318TI M...
05-13-2024 09:38 AM
Last post by angwydwagon
05-13-2024 09:38 AM
0 Replies, 1,475 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 06-25-2010, 11:34 PM   #31
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

Timing chain tensioner arm or cam shroud? Hopefully not a spun rod bearing.

Last edited by cooljess76; 06-25-2010 at 11:39 PM.
cooljess76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 11:39 PM   #32
roadrash
That's not Millpoint Blue

Vehicles

A cat had been sleeping on the engine when you last started it?

Mods 'n' stuff: Star Spoke 43 wheels - X-Brace - Mason Engineering front strut brace - CF gauge overlay - ZHP shifter knob - Racing Dynamics cat-back - Doubled brake lights - M-tech rear spoiler
From Page 68 of the 1997 Owners Manual: "Vehicles equipped with ASC+T remain subject to the laws of physics."
roadrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 12:55 AM   #33
familytruckster

Vehicles

Nothing in the fan, rod bearings OK. Mains probably hurting a little.
Old 06-26-2010, 01:08 AM   #34
minicoop900

when you were poking around, did you take the valve cover off?

^being rebuilt^

until then:
daily car:
96' Blue DASC'd ti with koni coilovers
slowly progressing...
weekend car:
85 1/2' 944 Porsche
no a/c, p/s, gutted cat, loud as hell exhaust, loud as hell sound system
minicoop900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 01:30 AM   #35
wolferj-RIP

Crank pulley?
James 95 active w/leather interior and sport interior conversion, Vaders, full M-Tech exterior conversion. Now m50 swapped* Eibach sway bars, D2 Coilovers, Depo's w/AE's, blacked-out sides and grills, LeatherZ console and door armrests, 1 series starter button mod, and custom finished Style 5's <--- in this color! Named "Roddy": *M50 6 cyl. swap with fan delete, S50 cams and chip, AFE stage 2 intake, M3 clutch and 11.5 lb Fidanza flywheel, 3.15LSD, battery relocated to rear and complete custom exhaust. Sweet! 97 318ti sport, Alaska Blue, Contours, coilovers, Dove Vaders and custom black/grey interior named "Max" 95 318ti Active in Cosmos, S50 swap in progress... named "Pit" SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE! Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!
wolferj-RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 03:32 AM   #36
familytruckster

Vehicles

Valve cover has not been off. Crank pulley good.
Old 06-26-2010, 03:52 AM   #37
rcair3d

Was the throttle body loose?
rcair3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 05:28 AM   #38
ChItalian1027

Vehicles

When was the last time you had the valves checked?? Did you change your oil? Any metal bits in the oil?

WTB: HELLROT RED CLUB SPORT

95 ti sold but staying in the family.
ChItalian1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 06:07 AM   #39
familytruckster

Vehicles

Tb tight. Oil change 2K ago, level fine. No metal in it, at least not on the dipstick.
Old 06-26-2010, 07:44 AM   #40
cooljess76

Quote:
Originally Posted by familytruckster View Post
Tb tight. Oil change 2K ago, level fine. No metal in it, at least not on the dipstick.
Well heck dude, I think everything has been mentioned. Unless something was left or broke off and fell into the timing cover(the sound seems to be coming from the front of the engine compartment), if it's not the oil pump/timing chain, I'd have to guess it's something related to the flywheel/clutch disc, but the sound doesn't seem to be coming from that far back. My clubsport had a sheared clutch disc spline, but the rattle noise was much more violent.

In the other thread, you said your replaced your cat. Was your cat plugged up? If so, you might have had too much back pressure which would ultimately force oil/air upstream to the airbox, possibly causing the butterfly valve in the throttlebody, ASC or DISA valve to rattle? I'm outta guesses man, lol. Did you ever find out what it was
Old 06-26-2010, 03:02 PM   #41
familytruckster

Vehicles

My previous cat was gutted. The disa does make some noise.

It was the flexplate. The bellhousing bolts backed out. The sound sure didn't seem like it was coming from that far back until I had it up on ramps. Definitely a first for me, it sounded just like a wristpin. Had the double knock sound. I'm also surprised the bolts backed out. I know I tightened them.
Old 06-26-2010, 03:08 PM   #42
b.u.ti-ful

I'm calling Jess winner then.

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
b.u.ti-ful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 08:56 PM   #43
cooljess76

Quote:
Originally Posted by familytruckster View Post
My previous cat was gutted. The disa does make some noise.

It was the flexplate. The bellhousing bolts backed out. The sound sure didn't seem like it was coming from that far back until I had it up on ramps. Definitely a first for me, it sounded just like a wristpin. Had the double knock sound. I'm also surprised the bolts backed out. I know I tightened them.
Dude that is insane! The reason I was guessing timing chain, flywheel or clutch was because the ticking seemed just a little too fast to be pistons or valves @ idle, but it was definitely rpm related. The when you revved it, you can hear the ticking sorta drop off momentarily until the rpms caught back up(if that makes any sense). That being said, I wouldn't consider any of my guesses correct because I wouldn't have ever thought in a million years that the tranny might have been loose, lol.

When I bought my clubby, the previous owner only installed half of the bellhousing bolts! He left all of the top bolts out, then when he was driving it he heard a pop and the rpms jumped up and it wouldn't engage. This was after he had the tranny rebuilt for "popping out of first gear" issues. So he just assumed the tranny was bad and sold the car to me for cheap. I picked up the car with intentions of replacing the tranny, that's when I found out that he didn't install the top bolts in the bellhousing. I thought to myself "no wonder duh..." and when I pulled the tranny off, I was pleasently surprised to see that only the center spline on the clutch disc had sheared off. This was obviously caused by the tranny moving around and the input shaft snapped the spline right off. There was nothing for the tranny to engage with. The splined collar was just sitting on the input shaft, completely severed from the clutch disc. It was an easy/cheap fix, no tranny problems whatsoever. But like I said, the ticking/rattle on mine was much more violent as the clutch disc was making contact with the splined collar that had sheared off of it.

familytruckster, I'm glad you figured it out and it wasn't anything expensive or painstaking to fix. You should closely inspect the clutch disc for stress cracks around the center spline since the tranny did move a little and may have caused some damage. I've replaced a few trannies on these cars, never used a torque wrench or loctite on the bellhousing bolts, but after reading this, maybe I will on my s52/ZF swap. On the three getrags I swapped, I just torqued them to "PFT" and they all held up fine.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:48 PM   #44
tiFreak

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljess76 View Post
You should closely inspect the clutch disc for stress cracks around the center spline since the tranny did move a little and may have caused some damage
I'm pretty sure his is auto

I'm glad it was something simple, it would have sucked selling the car and taking a huge loss
tiFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 09:53 PM   #45
cooljess76

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiFreak View Post
I'm pretty sure his is auto

I'm glad it was something simple, it would have sucked selling the car and taking a huge loss
oops, duh. That would explain "flex plate" and the pics in post#8, lol.