318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Brakes

Notices

Brakes From what pads to use to brake upgrades.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 986,206 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 04-10-2005, 03:25 PM   #1
L84THSKY

Default Brake Dust........

As you might know, I have put on 17" in rims last week. Although I like the fact these rims are easy to clean, I don't want to be cleaning them every week.

The car has stock pads all around. I assume that since they were in the car when I bought it last year, and the female owner kept it basic.

I bought a set of Pagid pads from Bav Auto, not sure if I wanna use them.

What brake pads make the least amount of dust, and work good? I do not race, just drive with enthusiasm.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 05:12 PM   #2
maurolin

welll... you have a BMW... they have good brakes. and the only way to stay away from brake dust... is ceramic SUCKY pads, or brake dust plates which look HORRIBLE!

What i use is wheel wax. Turner sells it... wax your wheels and then dust can be hosed off easy. or get your wheels powdercoated gunmetal or black!
maurolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 09:14 PM   #3
aceyx

the pagids create a healthy amount of (unhealthy) dust. i believe the mintex are the best if you're looking to keep the dust down. for most driving, there's little to no difference between the two.

i second waxing your wheels. i usually put on a good layer before i put them on for the summer, and it works as long as i hose it off weekly. if i leave it for a longer time, there's a bit of light scrubbing with a wheel brush involved.
aceyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 10:01 PM   #4
1996 328ti

Vehicles

I have been using Ultimate Axxis and have been very happy with them.
I found they dusted very little yet stop great.

Upon the recommendation of Carbotech I'll be going with Carbotech Bobcats next.
Carbo tech has always given me good advice. They are the ones who told be to get the Ultimates over their own brand at the time.
BMW CCA #146825
1996 BMW 328ti • 2003 MINI Cooper S • 2016 M235i
www.bmwcca.org
1996 328ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 09:03 PM   #5
J!m

Vehicles

I am quite happy with the Porterfield R4-S pads. All pads have dust, but these are (what I've found to be) the best compromise. Low dust, low noise and EXCELLENT braking.

There IS dust, just about 1/4 what I got from the stock brakes with the stock four cylinder. Now I have a hevier, faster car with less dust.

There IS noise. Very rare, and only with very light pressure on the pedal, like rolling in neutral to a stop light with barely any pedal pressure. More or less pressure and there is no noise. ALWAYS use 'disc brake quiet' per the instructions with ANY disc pads. 99% of the time brake noise is from improper use (if at all) of the damping compounds for the pads.

It stops like hitting a school with stock vented M3 rotors. No grooves, no holes.

I also suggest waxing your wheels. The dust is corrosive, and will EAT the clear-coat if you let it. Weekly rinsing is a good idea- I (try to) do a complete wash every two weeks and never have any problems cleaning the wheels.

Order Swap Manuals Here => http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12912

WolferJ- gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 09:40 PM   #6
L84THSKY

Where do I find those pads, and some good wheel wax?

Quote:
Originally Posted by J!m
I am quite happy with the Porterfield R4-S pads. All pads have dust, but these are (what I've found to be) the best compromise. Low dust, low noise and EXCELLENT braking.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 09:49 PM   #7
madfronter

http://www.ebcbrakes.com/

I use the EBC Green Stuff pads for my car. The dust created by these pads is barely noticeable compared to the dust created by oem pads. I could tell the difference because I had them on the front and oem on the back. My back wheels would be so dirty looking but the front look clean. Check them out, they work great IMO.
madfronter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 10:23 PM   #8
aceyx

are they your first set? i've heard not good things about the longevity of the EBC compounds.
aceyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 10:30 PM   #9
pdxmotorhead

We use carbotechs on our race cars. Fine pads good life easy on rotors have a red dust when using the Panther Plus pads. Usually blows off with the air coompressor.

Dave
pdxmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 01:06 AM   #10
nick_hegel

I got Pagids on my car from Bavauto too!! I'm trying something else next time. Much more dust is produced than I expected. Fortunately I've got dark wheels, so it's not a huge issue.
'96 Alaska Blue ti w/ Supersprint cat-back exhaust...Dinan CAI & Chip...Eibach Pro-Kit Springs...Bilstein Sport shocks...BavAuto camber kit...Brembo d/s rotors...UUC SSK...Centerforce Dual Friction clutch...TMS 9lb flywheel...18 inch OZ Rims...Carbon-Fiber dash/gauge bezel...Momo Shift Knob...Indiglo gauges...Schroth Harness...ZKW's/ProLumen 6k HID...Predator Chromiums
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...urowerksig.jpg
nick_hegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 03:07 PM   #11
vwt3

Default Brake Dust Sucks

Hey all, I'am useing EBC Green Stuff pads work well stop well very little dust on my TSW Alloys. That brake dust will eat the crap out of your wheels,just look at the wheels when you walk thru a parking lot and see a lot of expensive wheels looking like crap,owners just don't care. You can tell who the reel car guys and gals are by how clean there wheels are

vwt3

95ti Alpine White, K&N cone filter, Fullcoilovers by GroundControl Koni adjustable,Eibach springs.
JUST POINT AND SHOOT...http://www.munks.com/
. Also 69 VW t3 fastback 2110 motor,full air ride
.http://www.airkewld.com[/size]
vwt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 03:18 PM   #12
moku
islander on the mainland

I have Mintex and I've been very happy with them. Very little brake dust appears on my wheels now. They have good stopping ability and my silver wheels don't turn gunmetal after a couple of weeks anymore.
moku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 05:09 PM   #13
CirrusSR22

I don't have them myself, but people say the Akebono's ProACT's are excellent ceramic pads. I'm gonna buy them when I do my E46 325 upgrade.
CirrusSR22 is offline   Reply With Quote