318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Exhausts

Notices

Exhausts Aftermarket exhaust discussions.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,005,319 Views
Closed Thread Share/Bookmark

Old 02-26-2002, 04:04 PM   #1
myred318i

Hello all. I've been perusing the other folders on the Exhaust topic. Sounds like many of you that have installed a Bosal Brospeed exhaust have a common problem with the fitment. Have you been able to resolve? Without zipties? Also, now that you've lived with the new exhaust, do you still think the sound is good or has it started to grate on your nerves? Last question, any significant notice in performance? A real good s.w.a.g. (or butt-dyno)is fine for me.
I'm thinking about installing one, but
1.) I'm not into ill-fitting aftermarket items.
2.) I don't want something that grates on my nerves over time, but a tad more bass, and quality mechanical noises are great when their coupled with an actual performance increase. (I may be a little older than the rest of you, so announcing to everyone that I got a "loud" muffler isn't what I'm going for.) Any input is welcome. Thanks!!
Old 02-26-2002, 06:09 PM   #2
Dan Burger

My Brospeed is a little off-center, but it's not a big deal to me. It still sounds great (nice and low, but won't drown out your radio) and shows no sign of rust. I've had friends with much more expensive SS systems (supersprint, remus, ACS, etc.) that have started to rust within 6 months.

I noticed a little performance increase, but the weight savings alone make it worthwhile. I also get better milage now, too.

------------------
Dan B.
'95 Club Sport

[This message has been edited by Dan Burger (edited 02-26-2002).]
Old 02-28-2002, 11:21 PM   #3
StevenTN318

I love my Brospeed, I haven't had it very long but I really like the sound. One of my friends said he thought it was too loud inside, but if your radio is up it drowns it out for the most part. I've noticed a little improvement in the performance of my car, not a whole lot, but it's noticable (to me at least). BTW mine sits a little off center, but you can't really tell unless you are right up on the car.

------------------
Why look like all my friends at high school and drive a civic, when I can beat them in my TI?
Old 03-02-2002, 10:16 PM   #4
DougZ

I like my exhaust system too. I was a little upset that it was not lined up perfectly in the exhaust cut out of the rear valance...but the "zip ties" worked fine. I have since engineered a special metal bracket that took the place of the zip ties.

As far as the sound, the system is much louder than the stock system, but not in an obnoxious "Honda Coffee can" kinda way. Mine is proably a little louder than the rest when combined with my homemade cold air intake set up. After I made the intake, and before I put on the exhaust, the car got louder with just the ability to take in more air. The two system together do make a definate power gain. Not any huge gains, but enough to notice.

I at first thought the gains were just in my head, but when I took off the exhaust to put the stock one back on( trip to dealer was needed, didn't want to hear any **** about voiding warranty), I did feel the lack of power from before. I have the exhaust off until winter is over in NJ, but it is going back on in the spring. I can't wait...my wife has her own opinion.
Old 04-08-2002, 02:40 PM   #5
bmwracefan

I put the Bosal on my '99. Wasn't as loud as I hoped for. Now the Dinan exhaust on my M3, that's a great sound. My exhaust is about a quarter inch off center, but I haven't had time to play with the hangers yet. Radio removed. No time for tunes on the track.

------------------
Dave
Old 04-20-2002, 11:20 PM   #6
DougZ

Guys...I just put my Bosal exhaust back on. I took the time to weight it versus the stock system too. There is a 17 lb. difference. The stock exhaust weighed 40 lbs, while the Bosal only weighed 23 lbs. I am sure some of that difference is the absense of the secondary resinator that the stock system has. Anyway...it sounds good again. The wife hates the deep grumble....but I will be loving it at the autocross here in NJ next weekend.
Old 05-10-2002, 04:12 AM   #7
Cheap318ti

I saw a post on the 318ti.org site that states the Supersprint 1 offered the most hp and torque for the money. Any comments?
Old 05-10-2002, 09:56 PM   #8
J!m

Vehicles

I read an aurticle in Bimmer a while back where they had a ti on the dyno and tried a bunch of mods including exhaust.

There was one system which was SLIGHTLY better than stock (maybe 5hp?), but their opinion was it's not worth the investment. That's why I never bother to change it.

Now, if all you want is a nicer sound, that's another story.
Old 05-26-2002, 05:05 PM   #9
asianwitattitude

hey i know this is way off topic but dougz and some of you other guys seem to be pretty good with cars n ****. but i just got into an accident with my 95 318ti..yes im depressed, yess im disapointed in myself. yes im only 16 just started driving. anyways i had a passanger in my car, (i have not passed my 6month provisional license which menas i cant have anyone in my car for the first 6 months), i was pulling out of a parking lot and pulling into the right turn only lane, which has a SOLID white line on it, and i saw a truck coming on the next lane over, and just as i was going in, he decided to go in at the same time. and his front right hit my front left, which means he was JUST pulling in as i was JUST pulling out. now i had a clear path in my lane. not in complete traffic. so who's fault do you think it is? i only ask because after he hit ME...i also hit a POLE..BIG BROWN POLE and now my left/right fenders, axel, oil leak, and i'l need a new hood. yes im pissed off and i am HOPING TO GOD that it is not my fault. so please if you got time, reply to this cuz i cant wait till i get the estimate from the bodyshop and estimate from the insurance and go to court to argue bout this. i really just need to know what alot of other people might think. cuz right now, im like dying..i really dont feel good..thanks
Old 05-26-2002, 05:08 PM   #10
asianwitattitude

oh yea and the hit was so hard that my radio deck popped out so pretty much all the damages are. right fender, left fender, the front wheel axel, the head lamps, the front bumper, the turn lights, basically and the oil leaks, they're gonna classify it as totalled arent they? anyways, i just wat to know if you guys have an estimate on the price of the car..just curious..i got full coverage on insurance and all. and also i would REALLY REALLY like to know if you guys think it was my fualt or the other guys, thanks
Old 05-28-2002, 03:20 PM   #11
DougZ

Asain: Did you get the ticket?? If so, the court usually sides with the officers. Also, you might have a hard time making it not your fault because any car already on the street, no matter what lane, has control of the street. The responsability is on you, the entering vehicle, to watch out for the other guy, and not the other way around. Sorry.
Old 06-04-2002, 05:18 PM   #12
J!m

Vehicles

I have to side with Doug as well.

My Dad drove a car carrier for years, and once while entering a (very light traffic) street, he was T-Boned by a guy doing about 85 MPH in a 40 MPH zone and actually BENT THE FRAME of his truck! If he was going the posted speed, my Dad would have had plenty of time to get into traffic.

Who's fault? My Dad's, fo "pulling into moving traffic". The other guy only got a speeding ticket.

Maybe the turn lane will save you, but probably not. I ALWAYS wait until I KNOW I can get in with no problem, even if the ass-clown behind me is laying on the horn. After what happened to my Dad, I take NO chances....
Old 06-13-2002, 01:51 AM   #13
asianwitattitude

man thats so #ucked, that guy seriously could have just not hit me, he acts like hes actually getting any money out of hit, hes just getting his gay 89 f150 fixed..that asshole. anyways the damages are $7800 and i got full coverage insurance for $4000 a year haha..yay my insurance will probably be $6000 a year now!!

Note: This thread is closed since it has nothing to do with the subject. And also let's watch the language.

[This message has been edited by Admin5 (edited 06-12-2002).]
Closed Thread