318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Lounge

Notices

Lounge Temporary forum until new sections are suggested.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 103,029 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 66,069 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 63,284 Views
  Share/Bookmark

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-22-2005, 11:19 PM   #1
kiley_sean

Default So...you want to wear the big boy shirt?

CAUTION!!!!!!

This is a long winded post and may very well be the LONGEST POST in this board's History. It's so long, in fact, that I have to post it in many parts (exceeds the 10,000 Character limit).

I usually lurk, but this is the first time I have ever had my name drug through the dirt, so I feel obligated to defend myself, and my ex-330ti, by giving my side of the story. I understand that this person is not in the country, but I guess he will have to catch-up on this later, because I'm not waiting to offer my side story.

Everyone: Pull up a seat and pop open a beverage because this should be an interesting read.

This is in reference to these two threads started by Evan (AKA Quillbro):

http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=6562

http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=6431

It's best if you scan through those two threads to get an idea of what I am going to discuss.

So, without further adieu:

My Rebuttal

By Kiley_Sean

Well, well, well, Evan!!

If you are going to talk bad about someone- make sure of a few things first:
1. Don't use their for sale listing to sell it again
2. Don't Use their hosted pics (BIG PET PEEVE)
and
3. Don't slander that person on a board they are a member of.

Here is the original for sale thread that he hacked up and conveniently inserted harsh remarks about me.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=379526

I made it very clear of all the problems. I answered EVERY question to a "T". It was insisted that it be sold locally because I wanted to be able to "screen"
the potential owner. I also stressed the need for a "mechanically inclined" owner, because this hatch is an on-going project, and it was always owned by wrench-turners (Gene_Tinik, and then me).

Anyway, I had many, many offers to put this bimmer on a flatbed and send it to another state. A few of those offers were for more than yours, Evan. I didn’t sell it to them because the car wasn’t “100%” and no matter how much I explained online, they needed to see/hear/drive it in person. There was also a short in the rear brake lights. It was not “safe” to drive long distances without brake lights, IMO. So that was another reason for wanting a local sale.

The reason I made an exception for you being out of state, was because you were a fellow member of the military and you were about to ship out to Iraq. I just got back from Iraq, so I felt compelled to "help a brotha".

***Background of our Bios: .I am 28 years old w/ 8 years of active duty service in the AF, and Evan has maybe a year or so in with the National Guard. He's 19 or 20 years old.)****

You swore up and down that you knew how to work on cars and that all the problems, that I "clearly" stated, were going to be handled by you and your friend with ease. You said that you would either fix the brake lights on the spot, or drive it as-is (a little risky, but you stressed how much you wanted the car).

Your promise of “I’ll fix the quirks” made me feel better since this car was the “token” hatchback from DTMpower. I spent the whole ownership focusing on the drive train of the car, and was up to the point of refurbishing the interior, giving it a new paint job (it wasn’t nearly as bad as you say, though, Evan.)

I envisioned that it would keep passing through hands, keep getting upgraded …but you put zero effort into this car. You didn’t even turn a wrench on it. You took it to a shop and bent over in labor. Had I known you weren’t going to put some “elbow grease” into this project I wouldn’t have sold it to you: Point blank.

I say “project” because that how it was listed. They way you are whining makes it look like I promised you a 100% “perfect” car. Get real, dude. You think this car was going to be “perfect” for 6,500$!!! If anyone got “worked over the coals” it was me.

I paid 10K for the hatch 2 years ago and it had blown shocks, rusted out exhaust, and an underpowered cooling system right off the bat. I had to fix those items the first week I owned it. It comes with the territory when you buy a USED, HIGHLY MODIFIED CAR!!!

Over the past two years I had probably 12-14K in maintenance parts/mods, and hundreds of hours in labor. I loved this car to death and never
“Abused it”, which is more than I can say for you in your first few days (I will get into this later).

Here is how the sale went down. I have PM's and emails for everything, but I don't want to dig them up right now.

When you first wanted to buy the car, I took it off the market. You planned on catching a flight for the following weekend to pick it up. After waiting 3 days, you PM'd me back and said "Sorry, dude...I can't buy it now..my loan didn't go through".

No problem. I listed it back up. A couple of days later you PM'd me again saying "Dude...My brother wants to buy your car. Can he paypal you the money?"

"Sure", I said. This was on a Sunday afternoon. So the payment wouldn't actually clear 'till about Thursday-Friday. I told him to fly down here that
weekend, the payment would be cleared, and I would have it all cleaned-up and ready to rock (since I am off-duty on the weekends).

The very next day (mon.), Evan called me at work and said that he had a flight to arrive here the next day (Tue.). I was put in a spot because Being a Supervisor (staff sergeant) I can't just leave work like that. That also left me with no time to install the rear interior and clean the car up. Above all...the payment would not be cleared and he could very well drive off with my hatchback for FREE!!!

After some thought, I said "Sure...we can work this". So I had to pull strings to get out of work early (3pm) to pick him up the next day. Evan was waiting at the airport for an hour, but what can I do?

So we get to my place and he looks at the car. It was a very, very hot and humid day. Anyway, I sat him on the couch, talked to him for awhile, and we seemed to have a few things in common (later I was wrong). We go out and actually open the car up, start it up and just generally look over everything. He asked a tons of questions (I would do the same thing).

Then we went for the test drive. No offense....but you can drive stick to save your life, Evan. I was gritting my teeth the whole test drive because I could visualize that precious driveline, that I worked so hard to install, being jerked back and forth as you fat-footed the foot controls of the marvelous 330ti.

I actually had you stop at the gas station because I couldn't take it anymore. Luckily it did need gas (so as to not offend him) but it was because I just didn't like the idea of someone, who can't drive, tearing up my ride. So I drove it home from the gas station.

** Funny thing is that he left the lights on and the battery died at that gas station. The battery was several years old and was losing it's charge. Luckily we got a jump start and went on our way. Later, I offered to pay for it's replacement, but you declined it. **

To be continued VVVVV
kiley_sean is offline   Reply With Quote