318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Induction

Notices

Induction Superchargers, NO2 and turbos.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,014,519 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 12-30-2007, 11:48 PM   #1
fat-ti

Default How To: Homemade (Rspeed) check valve

I did a long search on the internet and found a way to duplicate a r-speed check valve out of less expensive parts. Here are the parts I picked up.

Check Valve - Sorensen Part # 779-2929 from Advanced Auto Parts $10.50
Black Pipe Nipple - Local hardware store - 1/2" x 6" long $0.99

If you don't have an Advanced Auto Parts near you, Napa also has part number 2-29000 for the same check valve, but it is $8.00 more.

The check valve is shaped exactly like the r-speed check valve, except it has a thredded hole in one end instead of a hose nipple. I took the 6 in long pipe, cut about 4 1/2 inches off of it, screw the 1 1/2 in piece into the valve (with teflon tape) and it is done. For 11.50 you have a check valve that functions (and looks) just like the r-speed valve for 1/3 the price. (once the hose is reconnected you will not even see the black pipe) The black nipple would not have had to be 6 in long, but for the $0.30 cents extra from a smaller piece, it made it easier to cut.

I put this on my car, and could not believe the difference in power. They say this will only add 3/4 - 1 psi more boost, but the butt dyno felt like quite a bit. I have to say the best 11 dollars, and 1/2 hour I have ever invested in my car.

I would post a picture of the finished product, but do not have a photobucket account. If somebody else would like to see completed photos, or post them on here for me, pm me you email address, and I will send you photos.
fat-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 11:51 PM   #2
cali-ti
aka Stabby

post them in your gallery on this site and then use the image link.
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 12:10 AM   #3
fat-ti

First photo is finished product installed.
Second photo is nipple end of valve

I did not want to pull the other hose off of the valve to show the black nipple pipe screwed in. The hose was a pain to get over that pipe (but it does go with a little spit )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_0915.JPG Views:	403 Size:	116.6 KB ID:	4984   Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_0916.JPG Views:	385 Size:	79.9 KB ID:	4985  
Old 01-06-2008, 02:38 AM   #4
318iS

can someone explain to me how this valve works...

i mean it doesnt make sense... how can a valve on that hose cause more boost ?

it has to be limiting air flow ?

also is the rspeed miata and 318ti valve the same ?

anyone have one for sale ?
318iS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 08:10 AM   #5
fat-ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by 318iS View Post
can someone explain to me how this valve works...

i mean it doesnt make sense... how can a valve on that hose cause more boost ?

it has to be limiting air flow ?

also is the rspeed miata and 318ti valve the same ?

anyone have one for sale ?
The valve is a one way valve...It allows air to go into the system under vaccum, but provent boost to exit the system from blow-by from the fuel injectors. At least this is the way it was explained to me. It doesn't limit the air going in because it has a very low cracking pressure

The miata supercharger and the dasc are very similar systems and the valve serves the same funtion on both cars.

Why buy one, go to the store and pick up the part numbers above. Super easy project, takes 15 mins start to finish, almost anybody can do it.