318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Exhausts

Notices

Exhausts Aftermarket exhaust discussions.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,016,233 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 05-30-2007, 10:42 AM   #1
HuGo

Angry STROMUNG HELP! #2

[I dont want to take marko's thread so ill start mine]

The exhaust has been installed and all i gotta say is WTF???

So ok heres the thing....

I turn the car on and fine whatever everything drived kool. I hoped on the freeway and when i hit 4k RPMS , the car started shaking back and foward, so i shifted gears right away (it sounded and felt like the engine was going to blow). The next gear was fine and i tried to floor it again and at 4k rpms, again it started to shake back and foward it felt like it was struggling and it was making some popping noises and the CEL light started blinking and then it stayed on. So i pulled up popped the hood and the engine is fine.

So in the street, when i floored it, again it started to vibrate and shake back and foward and those popping noises again. But when im driving ok and shifting at 3800rpms its all good.

Anyone know whats going on? I know its not the engine cuz its always been fine.

Looks like my exhaust is hitting the frame too. Any help will be appreciated.

[SIZE="4"]///M7
DASC TT Stg 3 Delete! S52 Powered!
Not Your Usual Ti, Twice As Fast Than Most

BMW ///Motorsport...

It doesn't need park distance control, and hates decadence. It is musclepacked, yet lightly wound. It lets you feel the asphalt and get you going with the smallest touch of the pedal. It provokes, seduces, and demands to be driven hard. It looks, sounds, and smells like performance.
HuGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 12:20 PM   #2
weezer

I don't think that has anything to do with the exhaust.
Try putting the previous exhaust back and see if the problem replicates.
Good Luck!

1997 318ti, Hellrot (Bright Red), Dinan Stage 2 Chip
16x7 OEM sport Wheels/X-Brace/Custom Strut Brace/Cold Air Intake/M-Tec Steering Wheel/Koni Adjustable FrontShocks/ Bilstein Sport Rear Shocks /H&R Sport Springs/Custom fabricated strut tower brace/Rear Strut brace, Stromung Exhaust
Future Mods: E46 17" wheels or Kosei K-1 17x8.5s
weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 12:37 PM   #3
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

What codes are you throwing? I agree, this problem has absolutely nothing to do with your exhaust. Do you have the NickG software/injectors/MAF/Pulley installed?

'99 Dinan M3
DustenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 01:28 PM   #4
cosmos schwarz

the leak will block itself up with carbon. dont worry about it, its normal for some non-genuine exhausts to show a little soot around the joins. the stromung is only affecting supercharged cars it seems. not enough back-pressure???? trying to chuck out more than it can suck in, seems daft for a supercharger to do that but i'm no fi expert.

E36 3.0 M3 Cosmos Schwarz
E36 1.8 318ti Cosmos Schwarz
cosmos schwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 01:40 PM   #5
marko

I had nothing that resembles below.. my CEL never blinked, just stayed on till I disconected the battery, then went away & stayed away. anyway, my car never jerked beck and forth, it just feels generally flat.. dont think its the exhaust you are dealing with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuGo View Post
[I dont want to take marko's thread so ill start mine]

The exhaust has been installed and all i gotta say is WTF???

So ok heres the thing....

I turn the car on and fine whatever everything drived kool. I hoped on the freeway and when i hit 4k RPMS , the car started shaking back and foward, so i shifted gears right away (it sounded and felt like the engine was going to blow). The next gear was fine and i tried to floor it again and at 4k rpms, again it started to shake back and foward it felt like it was struggling and it was making some popping noises and the CEL light started blinking and then it stayed on. So i pulled up popped the hood and the engine is fine.

So in the street, when i floored it, again it started to vibrate and shake back and foward and those popping noises again. But when im driving ok and shifting at 3800rpms its all good.

Anyone know whats going on? I know its not the engine cuz its always been fine.

Looks like my exhaust is hitting the frame too. Any help will be appreciated.
marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 05:19 PM   #6
HuGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustenT View Post
What codes are you throwing? I agree, this problem has absolutely nothing to do with your exhaust. Do you have the NickG software/injectors/MAF/Pulley installed?
I will take my car to my job this week and have the code read with a buddy thats a mechanic there (we cant roll my car inside and him do the scan. But he has his own scanner and we can check outside of the property). My dad is going to check it anyway but maybe ill also ask him to put the old exhaust again and see what happens.

Actually no i dont have those things installed yet. I was just going to do it this week but now im goting to wait.

And i dont think this happen cuz of the accident. Nothing wrong happen to the engine in the accident. It even idles correctly and what not.

[SIZE="4"]///M7

BMW ///Motorsport...

It doesn't need park distance control, and hates decadence. It is musclepacked, yet lightly wound. It lets you feel the asphalt and get you going with the smallest touch of the pedal. It provokes, seduces, and demands to be driven hard. It looks, sounds, and smells like performance.
Old 05-30-2007, 05:41 PM   #7
mohaughn

I don't know. Looking at the problem logically you have to think about what has changed or been done to the car.

So you have-
1) New aftermarket exhaust replaces a different kind of aftermarket exhaust.
2) Car sustains major front damage and is repaired.

Maybe it is just me, but going by the pictures that you showed, and what you had to replace I think it is much more likely that something is wrong from the accident. Given that the car idles fine, and then has issues when you get up over 4k RPM I think it is fuel/air related. It is very possible that this has more to do with something on the SC not being installed right and it has caused some other problems that are just now showing up.

Are you still just running a filter over the crankcase breather vent on the valve cover gasket? That is something we told you to fix a long time ago.
mohaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 07:12 PM   #8
HuGo

It was running fine before the exhaust. I think maybe one of the easiest way to find out would be to put the other exhaust on see if its the engine or the exhaust. Maybe the code would also tell us whats going on. Its strange though.

[SIZE="4"]///M7

BMW ///Motorsport...

Old 05-30-2007, 07:47 PM   #9
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Quote:
It was running fine before the exhaust. I think maybe one of the easiest way to find out would be to put the other exhaust on see if its the engine or the exhaust. Maybe the code would also tell us whats going on. Its strange though.
I guarantee you if you run the codes it will tell you what is wrong. Maybe one of the O2 sensors? It's not the exhaust itself, having a more free flowing exhaust will not cause the problems you are having. Save your dad some time and leave it on, just get the codes run.

Invest in a code reader, you could have had the problem fixed by now if you had one.

'99 Dinan M3
Old 05-30-2007, 07:53 PM   #10
HuGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustenT View Post
I guarantee you if you run the codes it will tell you what is wrong. Maybe one of the O2 sensors? It's not the exhaust itself, having a more free flowing exhaust will not cause the problems you are having. Save your dad some time and leave it on, just get the codes run.

Invest in a code reader, you could have had the problem fixed by now if you had one.
Thanks for your help dusten. Its not so much to save him the trouble but he loves it. I mean his work is a mechanic. He likes things to be done right, and well he does them. Ive actually asked him to show me how to change the pads, and rotors on my car when we do that this weekend so i can start doing that. I also want to learn to do all the basic maint. i can do.

He took my car again today so i assume hes going to check it out. Maybe he is going to read the code. But if he doesnt, i got a hook up at my job who has the scanner and ill ask to hook up my car after he gets outta work.

Im just confused why when exhaust was installed it would do this. I mean, i seriously cant even drive fast cuz of that problem. I drove him around yesterday to show him, and there was a point that it wouldnt want to pass 4.5rpms so i just shifted.

[SIZE="4"]///M7

BMW ///Motorsport...

Old 05-30-2007, 09:48 PM   #11
318iS

dude check air leaks...

make sure all the hose clips on the air intake are very tight......

my car did the exact same thing one night at about 4k rpms it would start shaking like the engine is about to jump out of the car....

i checked it and it was just a hose clip that got loose on the air intake.....
318iS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 09:49 PM   #12
HuGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 318iS View Post
dude check air leaks...

make sure all the hose clips on the air intake are very tight......

my car did the exact same thing one night at about 4k rpms it would start shaking like the engine is about to jump out of the car....

i checked it and it was just a hose clip that got loose on the air intake.....
The intake ehhh. I check that out too. Thanks.

[SIZE="4"]///M7

BMW ///Motorsport...

Old 05-31-2007, 04:07 AM   #13
HuGo

Ok my dad scanned it, and i think he said it was the "speed sensor" ? What is the speed sensor and could this be the reason why my car was acting this way at 4k rpms? He also said one of the vacuum lines was messed up, which i think this must have one been one of the biggest reasons why the car was acting funny? I dont know, maybe you guys can tell me... is this making sense of why my car was acting up?

He told me it doesnt do it no more at 4k rpms but it kinda does it now closer to 6k rpms. Im guessing that now the computer is in need of tuning. And im hoping that it is the tuning that is needed to balance the air/fuel. Being that now the car has a better air flow to leave the exhaust, maybe its to much that the ECU (stock) can barely handle? I dont know thats what i think. The pressure/boost of the SC has a faster better flowing way to go out and maybe the computer is barely adapting to it?

[SIZE="4"]///M7

BMW ///Motorsport...

Old 05-31-2007, 01:15 PM   #14
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

It still sounds messed up. The ECU doesn't care about you exhaust dude.

'99 Dinan M3
Old 05-31-2007, 05:50 PM   #15
mohaughn

Quote:
Ok my dad scanned it, and i think he said it was the "speed sensor" ? What is the speed sensor and could this be the reason why my car was acting this way at 4k rpms? He also said one of the vacuum lines was messed up, which i think this must have one been one of the biggest reasons why the car was acting funny? I dont know, maybe you guys can tell me... is this making sense of why my car was acting up?

Yes. A major vacuum leak or a bad sensor, O2, crank position sensor, etc.. will cause your car to do what it was doing. To me it sounded like it was going into limp mode to keep you from revving over 4k RPM. Usually caused by an incorrect fuel/air mixture, or a sensor that is telling the car the fuel/air mixture is bad.

Quote:
He told me it doesnt do it no more at 4k rpms but it kinda does it now closer to 6k rpms. Im guessing that now the computer is in need of tuning. And im hoping that it is the tuning that is needed to balance the air/fuel. Being that now the car has a better air flow to leave the exhaust, maybe its to much that the ECU (stock) can barely handle? I dont know thats what i think. The pressure/boost of the SC has a faster better flowing way to go out and maybe the computer is barely adapting to it?
No. Exhaust would not make that big of a difference. Something else is wrong. Try replacing the bad sensor and see what codes you get.
mohaughn is offline   Reply With Quote