318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Induction

Notices

Induction Superchargers, NO2 and turbos.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 95,369 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 58,256 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 55,739 Views
M50+manual swap bastard...
03-01-2024 11:00 PM
Last post by Andy318
03-18-2024 02:34 PM
3 Replies, 130,531 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 03-31-2006, 12:03 PM   #1
318ti_Portugal

Default DASC driving experience

Hello...

How are you doing?
Can someone with a dasc please post their driving experience?
I've search the forum and found lots of things about the dasc, performance, upgrade stages, etc... But I found nothing on what I'm trying to know.
How is it to drive a ti with a dasc?
Does the dasc change the engine character? Or is the engine still a BMW engine, but with more punch? When you installed the dasc, how do you describe the first time you went for a drive?
Does the car lose it's NA feel too much? How is throttle response? Still NA? Or does it have lag like a turbo car? Does the car still rev happily to the red line?

I'm sorry for all this questions, but from what I read, the dasc is starting to appeal to me, but I really want to understand the driving feeling of the car, rather than just the raw performance numbers.

Thanks!

regards!
MODS: Staggered M Kontours; Mtec Side Trim with M3 badges; Mtec Steering wheel with Airbag; M3 Modified Shift Lever; M3 Leather Shift Knob, Leather Centre Arm Rest; Euro Clear turn signals; M3 Electric and Heated Side Mirrors; Cat replaced by straight pipe; Mtec Rear Bumper; E36 M3 Front Brakes with EBC Drilled and Slotted Rotors and EBC Red Stuff Pads; Vader Seats. More to come!

My Picture Gallery:
http://www.318ti.org/gallery/showgal...r=1407&cat=500
318ti_Portugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 02:31 PM   #2
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Here is a video I made last summer, it kinda gives you an idea of what it's like. You see the engine revs much faster and it makes a cool sound.

http://180customs.net/video/DASC-Video.wmv

'99 Dinan M3
DustenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 02:46 PM   #3
cali-ti
aka Stabby

having driven dusten's DASC'd ti, i would say it's the same feel/response as before, just more power. there's no lag like a turbo and throttle response is the same, but with a lot more power with the same amount of throttle as you used before.
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 09:58 PM   #4
moku
islander on the mainland

Overall driving experience is much better. The throttle response is a little snappier, and it pulls a lot quicker when you need it. At high speeds, it still feels like it has more to give at the touch of the gas.

And there's no lag... that's a turbo related issue. Superchargers are driven by a belt, so it doesn't have turbo-lag. The power is there when you need it.

I enjoy driving my car much more than I did before. I love the whirling sound of the supercharger and the slight whistle that it emits during acceleration. In my opinion, this is the way the car should have originally come.
moku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 10:52 PM   #5
Calgary98TI

Default Mileage with DASC?

How much does the DASC affect your gas mileage?
Calgary98TI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 12:20 AM   #6
moku
islander on the mainland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary98TI
How much does the DASC affect your gas mileage?
Doesn't really affect it much at all. I'm still getting about an average of 26-28 miles/gallon. However, if you're not already using 91+ octane, you'll need to after installing the DASC. So, your fuel costs may go up.
moku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 12:24 AM   #7
96 3 1 8 ti

correct me if I am wrong, but is the DASC carb legal in CA? Thanks!
sport model, m3 bumper cover, velocity splitter, AKG shift knob, factory clears, super sprint exhaust, UUC floormats, UUC tranny mounts, UUC clutch bushings, UUC shifter bushings, Powerflex LCABS... replaced with treehouse eyeballs, front sway bar bushings, RTABS, TMS rear shock mounts, Bilsteins, Xbrace, sparco strut brace, AKG subframe bushings, AKG differential mount bushing, M coupe shifter, meyle ball joints and sway bar endlinks
96 3 1 8 ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 12:30 AM   #8
HuGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 3 1 8 ti
correct me if I am wrong, but is the DASC carb legal in CA? Thanks!
i hear it is. Man, is it cuz i drive in streets and freeway a lot cuz i feel like i only get 20 mpg. If lucky a lil more. But i did drive 1hr 30 mins straight no stopping and i got about 30mpg.

[SIZE="4"]///M7
DASC TT Stg 3 Delete! S52 Powered!
Not Your Usual Ti, Twice As Fast Than Most

BMW ///Motorsport...

It doesn't need park distance control, and hates decadence. It is musclepacked, yet lightly wound. It lets you feel the asphalt and get you going with the smallest touch of the pedal. It provokes, seduces, and demands to be driven hard. It looks, sounds, and smells like performance.
HuGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 12:38 AM   #9
cali-ti
aka Stabby

from their website. i'm guessing that they got it certified, but if you want to confirm, give them a call:

Quote:
Some final notes: The DowningAtlanta 1.8/1.9 liter BMW supercharger kit is undergoing certification to be 50 state legal by the EPA and California Air Resources Board.
www.downingatlanta.com
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 01:11 AM   #10
andy

Last I heard, it was CARB legal (as per their ads in Roundel, Bimmer, etc) but doesn't hurt to check. It sounds a lot like a Mini Cooper S; probably just more torquey. If I had a street 318ti, I'd definitely go with one.
Old 04-04-2006, 01:17 AM   #11
slacker

When you receive the kit, you also receive a California Air Resources Board legal decal that mounts in the engine bay.
This is not a cheap item, nor is it a 6 hour install as Downing says, but once in, you would NEVER go back! You will LOVE the car and the change it makes. You will also be able to take long freeway trips with no loss in gas mileage.
Drivability is as the others have described. Slight change in sound and because you also get a K&N CAI, you have more intake sound. Check the posts, do all the replacements of cam sensor, plastic cooling fittings, and starter BEFORE you get this in if yours is older and high mileage.
Gary
[size=-2]95 Sport-Alpine White-5sp conversion, M3 clutch, 3.72 E30-LSD, Bilstein PSS-9s, 3"stainless-TriFlo, 17s from 330i staggared w/BFG KDWs, DASC K&N w/foglight intake, cross-drilled BavAuto rear rotors w/Pagids, 4-pot Brembos w/drilled 320mm front rotors, stainless lines, BimmerWorld RSMs. BavAuto front splitters. M-Style rear spoiler, tower brace, X-brace.
slacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 08:00 AM   #12
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slacker
When you receive the kit, you also receive a California Air Resources Board legal decal that mounts in the engine bay.
This is not a cheap item, nor is it a 6 hour install as Downing says, but once in, you would NEVER go back! You will LOVE the car and the change it makes. You will also be able to take long freeway trips with no loss in gas mileage.
Drivability is as the others have described. Slight change in sound and because you also get a K&N CAI, you have more intake sound. Check the posts, do all the replacements of cam sensor, plastic cooling fittings, and starter BEFORE you get this in if yours is older and high mileage.
Gary

Note: Your "reported" MPG via the OBC will be artificially high. This is do to the over utilization of the factory injectors (raised fuel pressure). To find the actual MPG, multiply your displayed (OBC) MPG by 0.75; I get 25.5 MPG on the highway and about 20 MPG in the city. I drive hard.

'99 Dinan M3
Old 04-05-2006, 01:49 AM   #13
kelso

im not gonna lie. that video made the charger seem weak. have never felt a charger on a ti but mine has a TMS chip and its decent. were you taking it really easy or is just not a massive power gain? i guess my expectations were a bit high
kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 02:56 AM   #14
96 3 1 8 ti

I'm sure it would be a different story if on a track.. you can't push it around residential areas
sport model, m3 bumper cover, velocity splitter, AKG shift knob, factory clears, super sprint exhaust, UUC floormats, UUC tranny mounts, UUC clutch bushings, UUC shifter bushings, Powerflex LCABS... replaced with treehouse eyeballs, front sway bar bushings, RTABS, TMS rear shock mounts, Bilsteins, Xbrace, sparco strut brace, AKG subframe bushings, AKG differential mount bushing, M coupe shifter, meyle ball joints and sway bar endlinks
96 3 1 8 ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 03:12 AM   #15
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelso
im not gonna lie. that video made the charger seem weak. have never felt a charger on a ti but mine has a TMS chip and its decent. were you taking it really easy or is just not a massive power gain? i guess my expectations were a bit high
Stick with TMS chip, it probably adds way more than forced induction. I made the video to show what it SOUNDED like (as the title clearly states). I'm sorry you didn't like it. Next time I'll try to be more extreme for you.

'99 Dinan M3