318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Lounge

Notices

Lounge Temporary forum until new sections are suggested.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,021,718 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 06-11-2007, 11:25 PM   #1
jeff318

Default auto to manule?

is it worth switching my 318ti into 5speed? the tranny is ok on my car but i did suspension and few other lil things but i dont know if its worth switching the tranny and all that or should i just keep it auto? i have the money to put in to a 5speed but i just wanna know a avg on how much it would be and how much of a pain it is?
jeff318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 11:28 PM   #2
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff318 View Post
is it worth switching my 318ti into 5speed? the tranny is ok on my car but i did suspension and few other lil things but i dont know if its worth switching the tranny and all that or should i just keep it auto? i have the money to put in to a 5speed but i just wanna know a avg on how much it would be and how much of a pain it is?
I did it for about $2500. I did it myself, because labor would have been EXPENSIVE.

'99 Dinan M3
DustenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 11:44 PM   #3
jeff318

You bought a new tranny or found a used one
Old 06-12-2007, 01:19 AM   #4
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff318 View Post
You bought a new tranny or found a used one
Used tranny, used LSD diff, used pedal box, used driveshaft, used tranny brace, used shifter assembly, used shifter boot.

New master and slave cylinders, new hydraulic lines, new fluids, new bushings, new shifter rebuild kit, new guibo.

'99 Dinan M3
Old 06-12-2007, 02:04 PM   #5
campaiar

The job isn't terribly difficult. If you've done a clutch job before, you could handle it. I did mine myself as well. I didn't quite spend $1500, but I got a good deal on the trans from Panzer.

I love it everyday.

There is a terrific thread on bimmerforums on manual swaps. Make sure your read it and do tons of research before you pull your car apart and realize you're missing something.
M3 S52 3.2 I-6 Engine, M3 Clutch w/ ti Getrag Trans, Z3 3.15 LSD medium case diff and half shafts, OEM Hatch Spoiler, Eurosport HP Underdrive Pulleys, FDM, 17" DS1 rims, M3 Front Struts & Springs, M3 Instrument Cluster, 3-spoke //M steering wheel with tri-color stitching, SSK, CCFL Angels in Depo projectors with 5k HIDs
campaiar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 03:32 PM   #6
mohaughn

Hey Dusten. What do you think about the price of the zionsville switch kit? They are selling a complete ZF package for $2k. The only other thing I would need is a diff, which I've seen M3 3.23 LSDs for less than 500$. This is for a 328i.

As for the labor. I've been quoted something like 900-1200$ if I have all of the parts and all of the used parts are in good shape. Basically 10-13 hours.

I'm thinking if I watch local scrap yards, and ebay, along with finding the cheapest prices on the new parts, either the dealer or online, I can get all of the parts for a lot less than $2k. I don't have a transmission lift and usually end up working on my car by myself so I'm thinking I'll pay the man to do this job.
mohaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 03:54 PM   #7
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohaughn View Post
Hey Dusten. What do you think about the price of the zionsville switch kit? They are selling a complete ZF package for $2k. The only other thing I would need is a diff, which I've seen M3 3.23 LSDs for less than 500$. This is for a 328i.

As for the labor. I've been quoted something like 900-1200$ if I have all of the parts and all of the used parts are in good shape. Basically 10-13 hours.

I'm thinking if I watch local scrap yards, and ebay, along with finding the cheapest prices on the new parts, either the dealer or online, I can get all of the parts for a lot less than $2k. I don't have a transmission lift and usually end up working on my car by myself so I'm thinking I'll pay the man to do this job.
It's work, but you can probably do it by yourself.

Zionsville sells a DVD too, I think, that shows step by step how to do it. $2k isn't bad, but if I did it again I'd get a 6 speed from a e46 and go that route.

'99 Dinan M3
Old 06-12-2007, 03:58 PM   #8
mohaughn

Yeah.. I thought about a six speed. Right now this car is completely stock other than the radio. Not sure I want to start dropping upgrades into it.

Although the main thing that has kept me from doing anything to it is the automatic transmission. When this transmission dies and is replaced I can see some other "repairs" happening as well...
Old 06-12-2007, 05:50 PM   #9
campaiar

Quote:
They are selling a complete ZF package for $2k. The only other thing I would need is a diff, which I've seen M3 3.23 LSDs for less than 500$. This is for a 328i.
Just curious as to why you have discounted the Getrag trans? It's definitely cheaper, easier to find (1992 - 2002 trans will work), and its up to the task of a 328. J!m has a Getrag hooked to his M3 engine with no issues at all. Its definitely a way to save a bunch of money.

The Zionsville kit would definitely insure that you have all of the parts, but if you do your research, you can procure everything you need for less.

Quote:

A buddy and myself stabbed the Getrag on my car with no lifting device at all. Its very compact and really light weight. We've done it twice now. FYI, the automatic sucker weighs a ton and a half.
M3 S52 3.2 I-6 Engine, M3 Clutch w/ ti Getrag Trans, Z3 3.15 LSD medium case diff and half shafts, OEM Hatch Spoiler, Eurosport HP Underdrive Pulleys, FDM, 17" DS1 rims, M3 Front Struts & Springs, M3 Instrument Cluster, 3-spoke //M steering wheel with tri-color stitching, SSK, CCFL Angels in Depo projectors with 5k HIDs
campaiar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 06:32 PM   #10
mohaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by campaiar View Post
Just curious as to why you have discounted the Getrag trans? It's definitely cheaper, easier to find (1992 - 2002 trans will work), and its up to the task of a 328. J!m has a Getrag hooked to his M3 engine with no issues at all. Its definitely a way to save a bunch of money.

Yeah, while the getrag will work that is not what the 328i was engineered to come with.

There's not that much difference in price between the two 3 or 400$ at the most. Like I said, i found a 60k mile ZF for 350+150shipping... I've seen getrags selling for the same price.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:36 PM   #11
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

FWIW, I paid $400+shipping for my Getrag + driveshaft, $400+shipping for my 3.45 Club Sport LSD. It's the little parts that get expensive. I think the pedal box was $150, and then the clutch $200, flywheel $250, it adds up...

'99 Dinan M3
Old 06-12-2007, 06:50 PM   #12
mohaughn

Yeah... I'm really tempted to just find a side accident totaled e36 328sedan with a manual transmission and buy the whole thing to get all of the parts for the swap...

Still toying with the idea of having the auto tranmission serviced to see if they can easily figure out what is going wrong with it... I just hate the idea of spending a few hundred bucks on the slush box just to have it crap out again in a year or two... If they have to remove the slushbox to fix it I don't want it going back into the car...

The first and last BMW I bought with an auto.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:13 PM   #13
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Quote:
Yeah... I'm really tempted to just find a side accident totaled e36 328sedan with a manual transmission and buy the whole thing to get all of the parts for the swap...

Still toying with the idea of having the auto tranmission serviced to see if they can easily figure out what is going wrong with it... I just hate the idea of spending a few hundred bucks on the slush box just to have it crap out again in a year or two... If they have to remove the slushbox to fix it I don't want it going back into the car...

The first and last BMW I bought with an auto.
Good idea, pull the manual tranny out for the 328 and put the motor into the 318ti.

'99 Dinan M3
Old 06-12-2007, 09:54 PM   #14
jeff318

thanks guys