318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Suspension

Notices

Suspension Springs, sway bars, shocks.

» Recent Threads
1999 M3 Swap
09-07-2023 10:10 PM
Last post by buzzboy
05-02-2024 08:18 PM
6 Replies, 336,552 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 02-12-2014, 11:40 PM   #1
killergopher

Default Installing coilovers have questions

I am in the process of shopping for coilovers but I cant find the stock spring rate of the Ti. I have tried searching google and this forum but no luck. I also stumbled on to something that said the rear shock mounts need to be reenforced before installing coilovers, is this true?

Last edited by killergopher; 02-15-2014 at 01:21 AM. Reason: corrected spelling mistake
killergopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 04:30 AM   #2
spidertri

Vehicles

You probably won't find the stock spring rate posted anywhere, it would have to be measured by an independent source, usually a shop that specializes in suspensions (ground control, tc kline, vorshlag, etc.) would have measured the stock rates and can recommend springs that meet your needs.

If you are unsure of what you need, or are just looking for height adjustability, I would recommend calling your preferred suspension tuner and discussing what you're looking for with them. Any of the good shops should be able to give you solid info and work with your price point to get a nice kit put together.

The stock front suspension is technically "coilover" since the coil spring is mounted over the strut. However, the stock rear suspension has the coil spring sitting next to the rear shock.

When people talk about reinforcing the rear shock mounts they are talking about converting the rear suspension to a true "coil over spring" setup. This is not at all common. An example of this style is GAZ coilovers sold in Europe.

98 328ti Morea Grun slicktop
11 128i space gray slicktop
13 JGC WK2 Deep Cherry

Search | RealOEM
spidertri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 04:54 AM   #3
killergopher

What do you mean truly "coil over spring"? Isn't that what coil overs are? I will be picking up a set of ksport road racing coil overs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-13-2014, 12:50 PM   #4
spidertri

Vehicles

Yes, that is what coil overs really are, but it has also come to mean a suspension that is height and damping adjustable. So a coilover kit for the rear of the ti is a shock that sits next to a spring w/adjustable perch. It is not a coil over spring arrangement.

13 JGC WK2 Deep Cherry

Search | RealOEM
Old 02-13-2014, 05:11 PM   #5
killergopher

All four corners will have a coil over spring set. What do I need to do to the ti to install that type of suspension?

Old 02-14-2014, 09:39 PM   #6
killergopher

So I did some more digging today and came up with these parts:

http://www.ground-control-store.com/....php/II=7/CA=9

and

http://www.bmpdesign.com/product-exe...earch_model/52

I am guessing I need to install one or the other. Any advice?
Old 02-15-2014, 05:11 PM   #7
spidertri

Vehicles

The parts you linked are typically used in stock configuration coilover kits because the rear shock towers have been known to fail (sheet metal tear) with hard use.

People who convert to a real rear coilover typically have to custom fabricate (weld-in) reinforcements so the shock towers can handle the loads they weren't designed to handle.

Are you absolutely sure the k sport is a true rear coilover? I can't find any pictures of them.

13 JGC WK2 Deep Cherry

Search | RealOEM
Old 02-15-2014, 05:19 PM   #8
killergopher

I am positive. I spoke with them yesterday to make sure. I am going to fabricate and weld in a plate.

Old 02-16-2014, 12:35 AM   #9
anassa

Vehicles

That will be interesting to see, I think spidertri is onto something, there probably is a little miscommunication and you will get a coilover setup, but not a "true" coilover setup like what spidertri is talking about.

That being said, post it up when you get it! Ksport coilovers go for what? 1g? If those are "true" coilovers then it would be a good find.

***328ti Build thread. ***

Even more important:
SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE!
Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!
anassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 04:06 AM   #10
killergopher

Nah the road racing kit is $1400. Has stiffer spring rates and more adjustability. There might be some miscommunication going on. I guess I will find out after I order them. Probably going to be a few weeks before I order them and get them installed.