318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Electrical

Notices

Electrical All wiring questions.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by kupkake303
Yesterday 06:12 PM
211 Replies, 1,301,602 Views
1999 M3 Swap
09-07-2023 10:10 PM
Last post by buzzboy
05-02-2024 08:18 PM
6 Replies, 402,457 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 05-04-2013, 06:05 PM   #1
React

Default Fuse 37 keeps blowing. Wtf?

Hey all. I just replaced my headlight switch to fix a problem with my instrument lighting, passenger taillight, and tag light not turning on (see here for original thread: http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=38207 ).

I now have a problem with a fuse that keeps blowing (FUSE #37). Ive blown 3 fuses so far in the past 30minutes. The headlight switch is working since my headlights still turn on and a few of the interior lights+drivers taillight. I am going to mess around with it a bit more and do some more research.

If anyone has a suggestion or thoughts about what might be the issue, I'm all ears. I'm taking it to the shop in 2 days if I can't get this sorted. Tired of messing with this, dare I say it, POS.
React is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:13 PM   #2
M-technik-3

Vehicles

Rust in the plate light area? Maybe you have a short to ground on the plate lights.
M-technik-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:04 PM   #3
React

Thanks for the response. I checked the wires/harnesses back in the trunk/taillight area and nothing seems out of place.

I bought the headlight switch for nothing considering that the issue is still not resolved. Damn this is so weird.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:43 PM   #4
M-technik-3

Vehicles

I'll look at schematics.
M-technik-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:30 PM   #5
React

I got it from the shop a few days ago and turns out it was a few naked wires leading from my headlights where I forgot to tape off my halos/highs(both of which I don't use/use HID's instead). I guess overtime they moved their position out of the housings(DEPOS) and started blowing fuses when they were hitting something metal. Fixing this made everything on FUSE #37 work since it's no longer blowing that fuse.

So all in all. Purchased a headlight switch that I don't need. Two idiot mistakes (there's probably more).
Old 07-23-2013, 10:05 AM   #6
adamb

So I've got the same issue going on. No instrument lights, right side parking lights, license plate lights. I did everything you have done. New headlight switch, new hazard relay. I've isolated everything I can think of and find. Fuse is still blowing. I think I've gone through at least a good 25 10a fuses. I read your post about your halos, so i tried that too and i found no bad wiring in my depos/halos.

Issues that i have previously with car that i don't think are related but now im trying/thinking of anything.

--> My ASC light has been coming on intermittently. I turn the car off and back to to reset the light and all is good, ASC still functions properly.

--> Center console light has getting dimmer over time.

I've undone the fuse box to take a look at the wire loom underneath and all looks fine as does the wires under the dash and going through the fire. I have also isolated my alarm module (as it is tied in with my halos)

I don't know what else to do and im afraid this might be a job for the pros. =(

Any enlightenment you can provide?
adamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:18 AM   #7
React

Try this.

Replace the fuse and don't even turn the car on, and just try to turn on the headlights w/o the key even in. If it still pops then you probably have a short/some wire somewhere that is hitting something it's not supposed to.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:53 AM   #8
adamb

W/o the key even in the switch will not have any power. Nothing will happen. Or do you mean go to accessories with key and try the switch?
Old 07-23-2013, 01:06 PM   #9
React

It will still get power. The headlights or parking lights just wont come on. The instrument gauges, HVAC, and other random electrical stuff should come on.

I had my car completely off w/ the taillight switches pulled off and it was still popping fuses left and right.

I think yours will pop still since it seems to be the same **** I went through. All you can really do from what I understand is to trace all stuff that corresponds to that fuse#. Which "aint nobody got time for that".

Are there any other fuses dead/popping or is the the same fuses that I went through in the OP?
Old 07-23-2013, 01:33 PM   #10
adamb

I will give it another go in a few hours. I need to get some shut eye and pick up more 10a fuses.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:23 PM   #11
jafoolii

Vehicles

So whay was the put come as im also having trouble with pasenger front side lights and back side lights and also passenger side rear number plate light
jafoolii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:13 AM   #12
adamb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jafoolii View Post
So whay was the put come as im also having trouble with pasenger front side lights and back side lights and also passenger side rear number plate light

The first pic is from my chilton manual, if you don't have one I would pick one up, they can be of great help sometime.

Anyways the first pic is a little easier to look at. For me I had a pinched wire in the loom. It was the wire coming from the left side right tail light circuit, just followed it back till I found it fixed it and re-wrapped the wires all the way back.

I've read up on this being a big issue for guys with coupes and sedans as this wire loom goes through the trunk and is subject to a lot of movement. I'm guessing something similar happens with our hatches.

Hopefully this might be your problem. it was the last thing for me after I isolated EVERYTHING else that could possibly be a problem.

Good luck!!

Oh and the check control module section is crossed out because I don't have that option on my car.

Last edited by adamb; 08-12-2013 at 12:15 AM. Reason: Oh and the check control module section is crossed out because I don't have that option on my car.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:11 AM   #13
John Firestone

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamb View Post
....Anyways the first pic is a little easier to look at. For me I had a pinched wire in the loom. It was the wire coming from the left side right tail light circuit, just followed it back till I found it fixed it and re-wrapped the wires all the way back.

I've read up on this being a big issue for guys with coupes and sedans as this wire loom goes through the trunk and is subject to a lot of movement. I'm guessing something similar happens with our hatches....
The issue with the coupes, sedans and cabrios is flexing of the trunk to trunk lid cable where it bends most sharply approaching the trunk lid. From what I have read and seen, the following factors, in probable, decreasing importance, cause the copper wiring to work harden, become brittle and break:
  • a plastic stiffener tube out the trunk lid that kinks the wires
  • a bending radius that is two to three times too small
  • and in cold climates, wire insulation that stiffens and cracks at low temperatures.
I have become something of a student of this issue and may be able to help should anyone experience it.

Last edited by John Firestone; 08-12-2013 at 09:08 AM.
John Firestone is offline   Reply With Quote