318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Exhausts

Notices

Exhausts Aftermarket exhaust discussions.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
Yesterday 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 942,891 Views
looove
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
Last post by RichardBug
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
0 Replies, 1,633 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 06-17-2008, 02:53 PM   #31
madfronter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyle View Post
i'm aware of that. the CEL doesnt come on for a few days after i clear it. i don't know how many miles is enough for the test but my mechanic never mentioned it.
It takes about 80-100 miles for everything reset in my car. I have to do this as well since my light is on from the cat I bought from bavauto. At first it didn't throw the code but after about a year it started up.

Current mods...18" staggered CSL reps, ZHP shift knob,
BavAuto lowering springs, Bilstein sports, fogged airbox,
Dinan ECU upgrade, mtech front bumper, mirrors and
side moldings, DEPO headlights, tinted windows,
JL Audio 12w3v2s, Phoenix Gold ZX350...
madfronter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 04:26 PM   #32
L84THSKY

The real question is, how do we know the CAT is throwing the code? In my case my CAT was physically destroyed inside, so I needed to replace it anyway. How about everyone else who has has this CEL code, do they know the CAT is/was the problem? If the code doesn't go away, that could mean it isn't the CAT.

This is the logic BavAuto is gonna try to convince me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madfronter View Post
It takes about 80-100 miles for everything reset in my car. I have to do this as well since my light is on from the cat I bought from bavauto. At first it didn't throw the code but after about a year it started up.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 03:04 AM   #33
nyle

hmm. good question. but it seems odd that everyones cat would be bad. almost everyone i've talked to who has replaced theirs has an issue with the aftermarket stuff.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:46 AM   #34
L84THSKY

Update

Went to Midas to have CAT looked at. He ran his diagnostic program and said it failed code "Bank 1 sensor 2 (Downstream" was the culprit. I told him I just replaced the rear sensor late last year. I don't even see that code listed in my Peake code reader table. Are there codes that exist, that Peake can't read, or is it just described differently?

Before he even told me that, he said I had an exhaust leak. When we went under the car, he pointed the point where the cat back meets the cat. That's those spring loaded bolts.

I paid the $95.00 and was on my way. Then I started thinking, what if the exhaust leak threw the Bank 1 sensor 2" fault? Then he would be responsible for the diagnostics, because when they previously put the cat back on, they didn't tighten the bolts. If I immediately replaced the rear O2 sensor, of course the CEL would go away, because he fixed the problem by tightening the bolts.

I've decided to reset the CEL, and see if the "Cat Efficiency" code returns. If it doesn't, then he needs to refund me the diagnostics, since the fault was his own.

If the code returns then I must try to get a replacement through warranty. I bought the O2 sensor new on Ebay, and it is an OEM Bosch model. The sensor, I hope, was installed less than a year ago; need to check receipt.

One more thing, when I scanned the CEL codes, I saw another code [07] [94], which is "EWS INPUT", any idea what that is? Never saw that before, I hope it was from the diagnostics he just did.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 01:19 AM   #35
tiFreak

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by L84THSKY View Post
One more thing, when I scanned the CEL codes, I saw another code [07] [94], which is "EWS INPUT", any idea what that is? Never saw that before, I hope it was from the diagnostics he just did.
EWS stands for "Electronic Watchdog System" IIRC, it's the thing that keeps the car from starting if the key doesn't have a chip in it
tiFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 05:20 PM   #36
LimitlessTI

Hmmm. let us know it that works L84THSKY. I also have a leak ( which I can hear ) so I am going to check those bolts tonight after work.
LimitlessTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 12:44 AM   #37
Moose

Mine had a slight leak at the spring bolts as well. Passed CA smog but hissed ever so slightly. I had my muff' man eliminate that joint with a straight piece of stainless steel. Dropping the exaust is now a snap. 2 bolts at the header + the hangers and bam it's out
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 02:21 PM   #38
marko

exhaust leak will not cause the CEL to come on... the sensor is before the junction.

I have had a leak since I installed the Stromung POS, & no codes...
marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 05:05 PM   #39
spidertri

Vehicles

Just got back from the dealer. I tried to get them to replace my cat under the 10yr warranty, it rattles around 2000rpm. They informed me that my car does qualify but that the warranty expired in Feb of this year....sucks.

So now I am looking around for an aftermarket cat, dealer wanted $1600, lol. Service manager was real cool and told me to check turner motorsports and other online sites. I found the DEC cat on bimmerworld and they suggest replacing both O2 sensors when putting on the new cat. Seems to confirm what you guys have come up with. Any suggestions?

98 328ti Morea Grun slicktop
11 128i space gray slicktop
13 JGC WK2 Deep Cherry

Search | RealOEM
spidertri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 05:39 PM   #40
Moose

SMSP cats. They have killer cats for around 100 bucks. I've got a challenger ceramic. I think I paid about 130 w/shipping.They have some sick metal cats as well. I'm not sure if those will work with the ti' though. Those cost more as well but I hear those are the shizzle as far as race cats go. Mine flows like a badass and passed CA smog. Kicks the crap outta' Magnajokes'. I felt like I got another 10 hp after I installed it. I also changed my 02's at the same time. Fixed my idle and made the car run awesome + no cel after 500 miles woot

My thread on the cat>

http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=22899
Old 08-06-2008, 07:40 PM   #41
spidertri

Vehicles

Very cool, on SMSs website I don't see a "challenger", just universal cats which I assume are the same thing? I'm guessing that I would take this down to an exhaust shop and have them cut out the old and weld on the new one?

98 328ti Morea Grun slicktop
11 128i space gray slicktop
13 JGC WK2 Deep Cherry

Search | RealOEM
spidertri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 07:46 PM   #42
nyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
no cel after 500 miles
keep us posted on that though. when i replaced mine (DEC) i didn't get one for about a thousand. now sporadically after a code reset i get it within 100-400 miles of driving.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:44 PM   #43
Moose

well so far so good. I made a point to have the muffler shop place the new cat in exactly the same location as OE. Mines is appx the same size as stock. You obviously don't want a tiny cat so go big.

Also mines a 300 cpsi (cells pers square inch). The more cells the more back pressure and a better chance of passing i figure. They make 200's and 400's as well

When you call SMSP you have to ask for the 'Challenger' cat special for some reason
Old 08-22-2008, 09:57 PM   #44
Andrew

The OEM cats from BMW or anyone else are higher quality - the proof is that scrap guys pay ALOT more for them than aftermarket cats. The OE 318ti cat is terribly designed as far as flow goes - has anyone looked at the inlet pipe angle? Very un-BMW like (as is the restrictive and sloppy welding in the OE downpipe joint). Eventually my OE cat broke up and the converter efficiency code set. Replacing my cat. with a Low Emission Vehicle cat. made by Eastern Industries (EMI) still results in intermittent "conv. efficiency" codes - but no so bad that you can't get it to be clear for a while before the inspection. HP and torque are much better though - and with an aftermarket muffler I dropped about 30 pounds (but my ears hurt a little).
An EMI tech also suggested that the fuel trim readings may be out of spec, which would cause the same low efficiency code. I don't have a scanner to check this, but it seems possible - might there be some injector leakage/wear problem that might cause this without setting another code? If that's the case we might just be masking another problem by using the expensive and restrictive OE cats.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 12:10 AM   #45
lpcapital

Default Still looking for a cat?

I have one from a Z3 perfectly working: probably need some welding to fit the ti. It's Miller so it's OBD2 approved, if that matters. It has about 30K miles on it. If you want it I'll let it go for $250 including all the piping. S&H with Greyhound, whatever they charge.

Long story short: bought the car with a failing cat, replaced it with an aftermarket cuz I was broke, aftermarket was rattling against the heatshield, tired of dealing with it (meanwhile I got rich ), replaced it with OEM.

2003 Z4 2.5i
2002 Ducati Monster S4
lpcapital is offline   Reply With Quote