318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Engine

Notices

Engine Tuneups, chips, wires, spark plugs.

» Recent Threads
1997 manual 318TI M...
Yesterday 09:38 AM
Last post by angwydwagon
Yesterday 09:38 AM
0 Replies, 279 Views
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by kupkake303
05-09-2024 06:12 PM
211 Replies, 1,312,037 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 11-29-2007, 10:34 PM   #1
Mike-evans1

Smile Tappets or timing chain noise....

Hi guys, a couple of months ago I posted a thread on what I believe could be noisy tappets???????

The noise I am hearing is still there after 2 oil flushes and 2 oil and filter changes but seems to be getting louder......
I am a bit thrown away from the idea of the noise being the tappets as they are hydraulic and are vertually maintance free...(or are they)????

I am going over to the timing chain or timing chain tensioner now for the noise....could this be the cause of the noise,as the tensioner is wearing it is getting louder?
Do these chains wear?
How often should they be raplaced and how hard a job to replace?

Can anyone give info on this...
Mike-evans1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 10:53 PM   #2
M3_KILL3R

dont know anything about how hard they are to change but i do know that they wear and their recommended to be changed atleast every 70,000 miles.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:56 PM   #3
Mike-evans1

Could the chain be to blame for the quite loud annoying nosie I am hearing.....if it is worn??
Old 11-30-2007, 02:39 AM   #4
M3_KILL3R

what is the sound explain the noise
Old 11-30-2007, 07:10 AM   #5
Mike-evans1

The noise sounds like a tapping....only way I can describe it.....
I cannot hear it on idle but as soon as I start driving the faster I go the louder it gets....
Old 11-30-2007, 08:02 AM   #6
M3_KILL3R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-evans1 View Post
The noise sounds like a tapping....only way I can describe it.....
I cannot hear it on idle but as soon as I start driving the faster I go the louder it gets....
here are what i think you need to check...
1)check the timing belt
2)check your belts and your tensioner
3)check the head make sure you dont have anything warped or firing wrong
4)check the driveshaft and your guibo

where exactly do you hear the sound coming from? the front of the car middle or rear?do you hear it in gear or when you rev it in neutral also?
Old 11-30-2007, 04:28 PM   #7
Mike-evans1

The noise is defenately coming from the front of the car....if I gradually rev the car while in neutral then I cannot hear it as bad if at all....if I push my foot down hard so the revs shoot up quickly then I can hear the tapping loudly......

Whan i am driving along and accelarate then it really gets loud from about 2000-25000 rpm upwards.....
Old 11-30-2007, 05:45 PM   #8
BobbyDigital

Its not a timing belt though, its a chain, and I dont think they need to be replaced at any certain time. Mike, I believe I wrote you the last time and told you about my experience...

I know you have changed the oil etc...Are you putting enough oil in it? The tapping sounds like oil starvation.

What octane gas are you using?
BobbyDigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 10:56 PM   #9
L84THSKY

That was my comment, I had a bad tappet caused by a clogged oil squirter, in a previous car. You could have a blockage starving the tappet, and it wore the lobe down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyDigital View Post
I know you have changed the oil etc...Are you putting enough oil in it? The tapping sounds like oil starvation.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 12:12 PM   #10
Mike-evans1

Smile

There is defenately enough oil in the car engine as I check it weekly...I use 5w40 in it as advised by a local garage and my hand book...

I had a price yesterday off a local BMW dealer for a timing chain tensioner and new washer for £37, so that looks like the cheapest and easier option for me to try......

I found this write up on the net that says a worn tensioner can caues the car to become noisy, he quoted lika a seewing machine.......like mine is sounding.....

This is the link.

http://www.europeancarweb.com/tech/t...s_2/index.html
Old 12-01-2007, 04:32 PM   #11
BobbyDigital

Cool, I hope that does it!
BobbyDigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 04:32 PM   #12
L84THSKY

It has nothing to do with having enough oil. If it's clogged it's clogged!

The only way to know is to remove the valve cover, and examine the cam/tappet.........etc

Once it's clogged, adding oil accomplishes nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-evans1 View Post
There is definitely enough oil in the car engine as I check it weekly...I use 5w40 in it as advised by a local garage and my hand book...

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 05:43 PM   #13
Mike-evans1

If I remove the rocker cover and inspect the tappet, what am I looking for?
Can I see exactly what I need to see by removing the rocker cover?
Old 12-22-2007, 05:19 PM   #14
Mike-evans1

Hi guys,
Tapping finally gone,solved.....

Found it to be a cracked exhaust manifold...got it done this morning and it is a sweet as a nut now

I am selling the car now,just can't decide on a price??
Old 12-22-2007, 05:23 PM   #15
Mallard

Vehicles

i cant beleive any one didnt say hydraulic valve lifter!

normally, thats why it ticks, because the lifter is dead, the tappit smacks agaist it an the camshaft..

Vin Number decode and Retrofit Pdfs Available Free ! Just PM
Mallard is offline   Reply With Quote