318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Engine

Notices

Engine Tuneups, chips, wires, spark plugs.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,008,633 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 02-26-2012, 02:31 AM   #1
geetarspaz

Vehicles
Default my new head installed and...

just installed a new head on my ti over the past 4 days, following the procedures from the bently manual and some other official bmw documents via cd

andd no luck.

first start had a high pitch whining noise following a few more times and it slowly began to start very rough till it stalled itself out. tried that a few more times and the final time it began to smoke a bit from the head area. could my timing chain be off?

see short sound clip video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SHVjpLs_AU

what i'm hoping is the pistons didnt hit the values and bend/break them

Last edited by geetarspaz; 02-26-2012 at 03:02 AM.
geetarspaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:47 AM   #2
Tooltime

I just completed the same rebuilt over the last few weeks and I had a bit of trouble getting it started at first. A few things I noticed, once it did start I have some smoke around the head until the oil burned off. Make sure you have the radiator filled correctly and once it does start keep a close eye on the temperature gauge. I open my heater control to full heat before I started. I tried to start the car with the radiator cap off, don't do that I am dating myself. But, how I was able to get my ti started was i pulled the plugs after trying to start and cleaned them off, they were (covered with gas).

When I tried to restart the car the next time I put the gas pedal to the floor and once it started, i left off it very quickly. I didn't let it rev very high, I did change the gas filter while I we rebuilding the head. I can't say I had the same noise as you do, you may want to check to make sure all the hoses are connected. I hope that may help?
Tooltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:52 AM   #3
geetarspaz

Vehicles

thanks for getting back. i haven't put in any coolant yet because i wanted to make sure the engine would at least start just in case. i put a small amount of gas just to keep it revving for a short period of time but once i let it off the car stalled. i'm not sure if it needs to just run for a quick period get everything all moving and flowing or if my timing chain is off. i'll be working on it during the evening tomorrow and see what the heck is up.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:58 AM   #4
Tooltime

I found the head to feel warm to the touch with coolant in. If I were you I would get some distilled water I thing you would only need two gallons and throw that in before I would try again. Did you have the tool to line up the cams? And did you torq the head to the specs?
Old 02-27-2012, 03:02 AM   #5
geetarspaz

Vehicles

yeah, i have all the tools to align and etc. did everything to the bently manual but must of did something wrong. i'll try and see and realign if i have to. the day i did this i tried going to the local stores and none of them had distilled water, not even walmart :O haha. their stock was empty. i was planning on putting coolant in when i know the car starts, even if it's just for a few seconds. didn't want to be taking the valvue cover and various other parts off and have to deal with coolant coming out.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:07 AM   #6
Tooltime

Did you wire tie the chain and gears together while you had it broke down? When you said you only put a little gas did you mean my using the pedal?
Old 02-27-2012, 03:11 AM   #7
geetarspaz

Vehicles

i aligned it up by using the tool to get the valvues in the right position and then put the gears all on the up facing position.

i put gas on from inside on the pedal briefly till about 1,500rpm. i was turning the car on and off and my friend was looking at the engine from the outside
Old 02-27-2012, 03:12 AM   #8
Tooltime

Try one of the local grocery stores for the water, that is where found it
Old 02-27-2012, 03:19 AM   #9
Tooltime

Okay last question, did you rotate the engine by hand then retry the cam gauge and linement pin? If you did and it aligned without any problems then I would think you are good.
Once you get some water in it you may be surprised
Old 02-27-2012, 03:27 AM   #10
geetarspaz

Vehicles

yeah that's where i'm almost positive i went wrong with the alignement down there not being aligned right. it mentioned about rotating 45 degrees left and then right at parts of the steps and i'm thinking i wasn't too accurate there and didn't get the marker lined up right.

tomorrow im going to take off the valve cover and front plate etc, align the the top with the tool, and align the bottom to the marker, put belt on with the gears facing up, then i should be good to go.

i just hope the head didnt get messed up. i was reading on other forums if you do it wrong the pistons and valvues will hit each other and screw up the valvues.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:44 AM   #11
Tooltime

I think the reason they wanted us to move 45 left was to lower the piston from high center so when you alighted the cams you would not hit the piston by accident. If had the cam alinement tool on while you lifted the head onto the block you maybe okay. If you pull the valve cover off And rotate by hand try to repin both and see how close you are with the grear arrows, cams and alignment pin
Old 02-27-2012, 03:45 AM   #12
geetarspaz

Vehicles

thanks man. it's been a week without the ti and i'm going cray-zay
Old 02-27-2012, 03:53 AM   #13
jca

Best of luck with the fix. PS: the radio and CD changer both work great. John
jca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:54 AM   #14
geetarspaz

Vehicles

that's awesome. great to here. they were getting lonely in the growing ti parts box
Old 02-29-2012, 01:46 AM   #15
geetarspaz

Vehicles

got the timing all perfect. drove around a bit.
except now i have a really bad oil leak.
the whole bottom half from the timing chain tensioner all the way over to the power steering reservoir is covered in fresh oil. everything is tight down i know that. man what a let down. but the engine does sound so fresh!

Last edited by geetarspaz; 02-29-2012 at 01:49 AM.