318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Classifieds > For Sale > US and North America > Cars for Sale

Notices

Cars for Sale Only fully running cars to be listed.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 98,226 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 61,063 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 58,458 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 07-15-2012, 02:52 PM   #1
Trusted-1

Default 1998 BMW 318ti, M-Sport, DASC, Active

Update: Sale has been postponed due to current situation. Will be available once the Cali-Roof car (and some new bills) are sorted out. Thanks to everyone for their support and offers. I will update the thread when the situation is sorted out.

Thanks, Steve

This is a bit of a feeler since I the final decision to sell is based on several factors the board may be able to help me sort out.

Summary: 1998 BMW 318ti, M-Sport, Downing-Atlanta supercharger, 1.9L M44 4-cylinder, 5-speed manual, sport & active packages, factory alarm/remotes, many extras & includes all four original keys, $6500.

Chassis: 217k
Motor: 166k (DASC Installed @ 149k)
Work since purchase:
Engine from Son's 96 318is 135k including 18lb flywheel & Sachs M3 clutch complete.
OEM X-Brace
Racing Dynamics Strut Bar
328i Vented Front Rotors & Calipers
OEM M3 Short Shifter
3 Spoke M3 Steering Wheel/Airbag
European Hella HID Headlights (Glass lenses, Angel Eyes & Awesome High Beams!
Cabin filters replaced
Radiator Replaced 184k (Preventatively with Motor Install)
M3 twisty side skirts
Intake Boots/Elbows
Carbon fiber lip
17" Chrome staggered Contour wheels (235/40 & 245/40)
Downing Atlanta Supercharger (01/2010 - 200k)
Custom fabricated high flow 2.5" exhaust/cat with Euro Fox dual tip muffler 06/2010
New Alcantara headliner
Crankcase Vent Replaced
Koni Single Adjustable Struts/Shocks with H&R Sport Springs
New DASC idler pulleys from Downing Atlanta
AC Compressor Serviced
JVC Head Unit with Custom Timphany LAT Subwoofer for a small bass enhancement enclosure.
Replaced the sunroof cartridge
Regular Mobil 1 oil changes
Redline Synthetic Transmission & Differential Oil

Also available but not installed:
OEM M3 Mirrors (Alpine White III) (Included)
A pillar boost gauge (Included)
Two tone carbon fiber hood (Alpine White III w/CF center section) (Not included but available)
Medium case 3.25 LSD (Not included but available)

Our situation causes need to sell this great little car that was my Wife's DD. My plan was for my Daughter to get this car but as a new driver, she needs to master her driving skills without the complication of shifting (and/or DASC) and my Wife longs for an SUV. Which I understand but, really, a rolling chicane? In any case, it pains me to see this go but it is the logical choice. The only saving grace is that my buddy has a 1996 318ti California top with Automatic Transmission that I can get for my Daughter but it means starting over again when the 98 ti/sport/DASC is almost "done".

We acquired this car from the original owner who worked at our dentist's office 01/09 with 184k. We have all of the service records since the car was bought. It had a blown head gasket at the time and as it happens, we had a 137k M44 & trans from my Son's 1996 318is which met an unfortunate end. The M44 was installed with a Fidanza 18 pound flywheel, Sachs M3 clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing, pilot bearing, release arm and pivot bushing along with a new radiator. When A Downing Atlanta Supercharger became available at the local Porsche/BMW dismantler, I jumped on the opportunity to "fix" the low power issue my Wife had mentioned in passing. Of course she was not privy to the cost at the time since I figured it was better to ask forgiveness than permission. I removed the DASC kit myself from the donna car and reinstalled it on the 318ti using tips on 318ti.org and other sources to improve the installation (see my write up).

The $6500 asking price reflects the value of the components and I think it is fair. A complete DASC kit just sold on eBay for $1800 and the car without the DASC should be worth $4600 +/-.

Since another 318ti will be coming home, many of the suspension and DASC parts could be swapped to the "new" ti and I am aware that the car may have more value if sold as separate components or returned to stock and the optional components retained for use on the Cali car.

Opinions are welcome but please be courteous and reasonable.

The average BMW 318ti is a fun, practical, and economical BMW hatchback that is only lacking for more power. With the addition of a Downing-Atlanta supercharger kit a lack of power is no longer an issue, giving this 318ti E36 M3 levels of performance while retaining the large hatchback cargo capacity, 30+ MPG highway mileage, lightweight tossable handling, the benefit of being over 400 lbs lighter than a normal E36 coupe. The Downing-Atlanta supercharger is a simple and effective kit, very similar to OEM supercharged cars. The supercharger features a simple rising rate fuel pressure regulator to increase fuel pressure under boost as well as a bypass valve to allow the supercharger to freewheel at partial throttle. This bypass valve bypasses the supercharger at partial throttle conditions, reducing supercharger wear and maintaining the excellent stock MPG of the 318ti. The end result is power when you want it, excellent MPG when you don't.

The M44 1.9L 4-cylinder is an excellent platform for supercharging, with an overbuilt bottom-end and reliable engine internals. A similar engine used in the excellent E30 318is, it has a reputation for being incredibly reliable. The remainder of the E36 318ti is a mixture of BMW's best, utilizing the front suspension from the E36 and the rear suspension from the E30. The end result is that it maintains much of the E36 refinement, but also some of the tail-happy characteristics that make the E30 a fun and desired car. Equipped with the factory sport package this 318ti benefits from lower and stiffer sport springs, larger front and rear anti-roll bars, and body-color side skirts. Other tasteful additions include an OEM suspension x-brace from an E36 M3, E36 328i front brakes, cold-air intake, Staggered Chrome Contour wheels shod with good tires, OEM M3 short-shifter, Hella HID projector headlights. Stock features of the car include an onboard computer, power windows, power locks, power mirrors, cruise control, ice cold air-conditioning and hot heat, leather/cloth interior, CD/Mp3/iPhone player, rear wiper, and power sunroof. All features work as they should.

Overall this is a very nice car to drive, and served its life with my Wife as a daily driver. The engine pulls very hard under boost with the supercharger producing between 6 and 8 psi depending on temperature, exactly as it should. The transmission shifts very well, with short precise throws and absolutely no grinding. The clutch holds well with no slipping, the vented brakes have excellent power, the car tracks straight on the highway, and the steering is smooth with no play. I've calculated up to 32+ MPG on the highway, try that with most sports cars!

Painted in Alpine White III, this is a very attractive car. The paint is all original and still shines very well, with no clear coat fade. The Contour wheels are in OK condition with some corrosion starting but no curbing or major damage. All body panels still have their original VIN stickers, this is a true "no stories" used car. The exterior is very straight, with a few small dings and scratches that are small enough that they won't photograph. Inside is very nice as well, with nearly perfect carpet protected by floor mats. I don't smoke, the PO did not smoke and there's no evidence of smoking or odor. The front seats are solid with a couple of small issues like a small hole on the drivers bolster and a small area of seam that is separating, the leather surfaces are good with a bit of normal leather wear. The rear seats are very nice, with only a few surface marks and no wear. The dash is perfect with no cracks. The headliner is recently done in black Alcantara, no sagging like you'll find in most older BMWs. All interior power accessories operate exactly as they should.

The known issues are: Exterior - front bumper normal rock chips and several scrapes on the underside and the passenger wheel well has small defect from front tire rubbing it. Interior - couple of small issues with drivers seat.

This BMW is a captivating blend of hatchback practical, excellent power, excellent MPG, lightweight handling, and unassuming subtle exterior appearance. I enjoy being unique, and a 318ti with M3 performance certainly fits the bill. It's been used as a daily driver and maintained accordingly, but we have decided to replace it so my Daughter learn with a automatic transmission and my Wife can by happy with an SUV. Currently this car is an excellent and fun daily driver, or would be an excellent platform for a driver's education or autocross car. We are asking $6,500, far less than it would take to build a car like this. I can be reached at 1trusted1 at gmail dot com. Will post more photos of the interior and engine bay as soon as possible. Located in San Diego, CA. Thanks for looking!

Last edited by Trusted-1; 08-12-2012 at 09:09 PM.
Trusted-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:07 PM   #2
FunElan

Very nice car. I wish my budget was bigger.
FunElan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:18 AM   #3
WilC

Why can't I find a car like this one in the East Coast?????

GLWS
WilC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:30 AM   #4
Trusted-1

The desert like conditions here preserve them better...
Old 07-16-2012, 04:20 AM   #5
pi4ovete_84

Hi, very nice car! I just did't get one thing- would you sell just the dasc? Or you already sold it?
pi4ovete_84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:41 PM   #6
Trusted-1

I am unlikely to sell the DASC by itself.

If I go to the trouble of removeing it and putting all of the OEM stuff back on, I will likely keep it for my Daughter's 96 Cali/Auto 318ti that's planned (or a 1991 318is project at some future point... for Dad)
Old 07-17-2012, 12:46 AM   #7
ohonegger

this car looks great and is perfect! im in the market for a ti! the asking price is $6500? thats out the door with everything mentioned? let me know! interested!
ohonegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:08 AM   #8
Arizona

Beautiful car! I hope there is one like this when I get back to the states in 2015. I'm in Germany right now with a euro spec 316i compact.
Arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:52 PM   #9
Boneyard

Nice car! Any pics of the engine and interior?
Boneyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:26 AM   #10
achiang

I would love to pick this up once things are figured out for ya.
achiang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:48 AM   #11
m7king

is this still for sale?
m7king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:42 PM   #12
Trusted-1

Thanks for the question.

Still in limbo.

Car is just sitting because I am still trying to negotiate and get the cali roof car first...
Old 11-17-2012, 02:18 AM   #13
Jokerkid84

was up bro where did u find your m3 body kit for the car I know i need the M tech body kit but i was looking for oem parts for my car any suggestions
Jokerkid84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:53 AM   #14
ohonegger

Default Still for sale?

Please tell me it is!
ohonegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:14 PM   #15
Trusted-1

Not sold... But the California top car (with the automatic) deal for my daughter fell through so we have to keep this one in the family for the time being.

Thanks for asking though.