318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Engine Swaps

Notices

Engine Swaps Engine conversions.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 100,872 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 63,823 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 61,041 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 11-29-2005, 06:49 PM   #1
Soldo

Default Not the same old questions.... sort of!

Hey guys, i was just wondering a few things. I've been driving a 95 325i for about 4 years now and the car has served its time. I'm looking at a 95 ti, and the main reason i'm interested in it, is because i would use my car as a donor! So these questions, although i'm sure have been answered a million times before, please help me out, as i would be doing the entire swap on my own and i just wanna make sure i know what i'm getting into!

From what i've been told, the 4dr dash swaps right into a ti with little or no harm. Is this correct? Also, is it possible to convert the car so that i keep the dual climate control from my 325i? What else can i keep with my 325i dash, can my 11 OBC be functional as well?

The brakes i know i the front calipers just bolt on, so i got my front brakes covered. What about the rears? Are there any OEM options to getting some vents and bigger discs in the rear? E30 M3?

Now, here comes the questions you guys are usually use to with engine swaps. I plan on rebuilding my M50 motor (its the cheapest route, since i already have the engine) and then throwing it in the Ti. So here goes the questions......
-if i have everything for the engine swap will i basically end up with the same 325i that i'm used to with everything functional (what codes will show up on my Peake code reader, ti codes or 325 codes?)

-Since the tranny's are the same on the both cars, i will use the Ti tranny since it has less mileage on it and it runs better, but what would/should i do with the clutch? The 325 has a bigger clutch, should i swap that one into the Ti, or will i be okay running the Ti clutch with the M50 motor?

-In regards to the rear end...... Do E30 diffs just swap on? I have access to a VERY inexpensive LSD from a E30, and will that just bolt onto the Ti or are the ti diffs just SIMILAR to E30's?

- If i can swap the E30 diff, what must be done with the driveshaft, since i'm using the stock Ti tranny?

Also, has anyone else gone from a 6 banger E36 (2dr or 4dr) to a Ti? How is it? A couple people are telling me that its QUITE the change and not in a good way, but i'm lookin at the bigger picture!

If you guys can help me with any of this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys
Soldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 07:41 PM   #2
1996 328ti

Vehicles

I have seen regular E36s dashes in the ti but don't know how hard it is to install. I imagine you also need to run all other air ducts too.

OBC
I don't think you would be able to mount it in ti.
It's a completely different size, isn't it? The ti OBC replaces the clock.

People have upgraded the rear brakes with an M Coupe.
Rear brakes are more than adequate as is.

Look through the engine swapping section for more answers.
We are trying to consolidate it in the sticky above.
BMW CCA #146825
1996 BMW 328ti • 2003 MINI Cooper S • 2016 M235i
www.bmwcca.org
1996 328ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 10:37 PM   #3
Soldo

Thanks for the help.....

I was more wondering if the 11 button OBC will fit if i swap over my sedan dash. I'm sure the factory rear rotors are more than fine, just looking to cover things i'll consider in the future!

Also wondering if the dash does swap over my airbags would still be fully functional?

I read through the engine swap thingy, but it seems like its mostly aimed at FULL M3 conversions!
Old 11-29-2005, 11:20 PM   #4
aceyx

Front calipers AND carriers must be transferred over. Depending on the year, your ti might have this already.

Codes should be M50 codes, since you'll swap over the computer as well.

As for the differences between an E36 and an E36/5, they're just different. The only reason one might be "better" than the other is because of subjective preference. I prefer the bobtail, just as I prefer Dr. Pepper over Coke.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:46 PM   #5
cali-ti
aka Stabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldo
From what i've been told, the 4dr dash swaps right into a ti with little or no harm. Is this correct? Also, is it possible to convert the car so that i keep the dual climate control from my 325i? What else can i keep with my 325i dash, can my 11 OBC be functional as well?
i'm guessing if you swapped all the wiring and sensors that the 325 uses, that it would. as to how much work that is, i have no idea. if you're swapping everything under the dash and the dash, it might not be an ungodly task to do the wiring as well.
Quote:
The brakes i know i the front calipers just bolt on, so i got my front brakes covered. What about the rears? Are there any OEM options to getting some vents and bigger discs in the rear? E30 M3?
the e30 m3 doesn't have vented rears either.
Quote:
- If i can swap the E30 diff, what must be done with the driveshaft, since i'm using the stock Ti tranny?
nothing will need to be done with the driveshaft. the ti one bolts right up (both 4-bolt). the diff BARELY fits (in my case, i had to "mod" the floor trunk beam to get it to fit but only a few people have had to do this. there's an ongoing discussion of whether one should use ti or e30 halfshafts. i went with e30 halfshafts (had to shim the ABS sensors). there's also the possibility of using z3 6-cyl halfshafts as well.
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 07:21 AM   #6
Soldo

So by BARELY you mean it does with NO modding... or will i have to shave or cut something!
Old 11-30-2005, 07:29 AM   #7
cali-ti
aka Stabby

no matter what, you'll need to modify the diff mount flanges that come down from the floor pan beam. you may or may not need to "modify" the beam a little to clear the top diff cover bolts. i had to, but others have not. take a look at the notebook section for how close the bolt head is. you can also see some shots in my gallery. i think i found every damn problem when i did my swap. i was waiting for steven's article tool to be chosen before i did a write up.
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

Old 11-30-2005, 07:48 AM   #8
Soldo

Thanks, you guys are awesome, and VERY helpful..... Its just that i'm able to get a 3.73 for nothing so it would be nice to be able to toss that in the Ti, and if i mate that with a M50 motor, i'm laughing!
Old 11-30-2005, 02:02 PM   #9
1996 328ti

Vehicles

A 3.73 is going to be revving pretty high on the highway.
You will be pushed back into your seat on launch.
BMW CCA #146825
1996 BMW 328ti • 2003 MINI Cooper S • 2016 M235i
www.bmwcca.org
1996 328ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 03:49 PM   #10
cali-ti
aka Stabby

mmmm ... yeah ... you'll be shifting from first so fast you might well end up with a 4-speed