318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Misc

Notices

Misc Does not fit in any of the forums below.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,011,128 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 09-17-2004, 03:57 PM   #1
NickB

Default Instrument Cluster Light

Hey I have a 96' 318ti msport and I have one or more lights that have went out behind my instrument cluster. Does anyone know how to get to these to replace them??
NickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 07:12 PM   #2
clex2

Well, there are two ways. One requires you to remove the steering wheel. Not a hard thing, but a little extra work that may not be necesary. The cluster wont come out of the dash fully with the steering wheel in the way, so if you do do this, be sure to disconnect the battery and wait 5-10 minutes so that the airbag doesnt go off in your face. Remember to mark the alignment of the steering wheel to the splines so you can recenter it when you are done.

The other option is to remove the lower dash panel and reach up and remove the offending bulb,........if you can reach it. The lower indicator bulbs like the fog light are doable this way, but the dials probably not.
clex2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 05:59 PM   #3
Mallard

Vehicles

? ^

turn off ignition

inside the cowling of the intrument trim u will feel 2 phillips screws.... remove

wiggle the cluster about untill the unit slips forward.

now for the fun part, and the only real way of doing this..

spin your ass round in your seat so your legs are over the back of the chair and your head is in the footwell.

feel behint the cluster and there will be three plugs, each with a clasp type lock. you will need to "peel" this open, the plugs should fall away from the cluster after

slide gently, with the plugs pushed aside for good mesure, the cluster between the steering wheel and the dash. it will need a bit of angling but its easily possible.

the 3 bulbs are behind the green plug type holders, 45 degree turn and your clear

Vin Number decode and Retrofit Pdfs Available Free ! Just PM
Mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 09:55 PM   #4
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallard View Post
? ^

turn off ignition

inside the cowling of the intrument trim u will feel 2 phillips screws.... remove

wiggle the cluster about untill the unit slips forward.

now for the fun part, and the only real way of doing this..

spin your ass round in your seat so your legs are over the back of the chair and your head is in the footwell.

feel behint the cluster and there will be three plugs, each with a clasp type lock. you will need to "peel" this open, the plugs should fall away from the cluster after

slide gently, with the plugs pushed aside for good mesure, the cluster between the steering wheel and the dash. it will need a bit of angling but its easily possible.

the 3 bulbs are behind the green plug type holders, 45 degree turn and your clear
I'm willing to bet that he fixed it by now since the original post was over 2 years ago! lol, And I'm also willing to bet that it was a blown fuse. Probably one of these fuse #'s 21-31.
cooljess76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 11:26 PM   #5
Mallard

Vehicles

lol, well it might help someone so i guess its valid anyway

Vin Number decode and Retrofit Pdfs Available Free ! Just PM
Mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 07:11 AM   #6
watdawg

Helped me...
watdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 07:24 AM   #7
CirrusSR22

I've pulled the cluster without taking off the wheel. It's possible.
CirrusSR22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 08:38 PM   #8
studyolic

I only have one bulb out, the one behind the headlamp pull-switch. Can I get to this easily, or do I still have to pull the dash? Incidently, my steering wheel is off-centre; I've had a steering alignment done, so the wheels are pointing in the right direction, but I forgot to mention the steering wheel. Is that easy to line up myself?
Old 04-03-2007, 09:42 PM   #9
branden

I'm not sure about the steering wheel.

But the bulbs that go behind the knobs are easy to replace, as are the dash lights. For the knob lights just unscrew the knobs by turning left. Behind each knob is a little plate that can easily by pried off with a thin screw-driver or even your finger-nails. The bulbs sit in a little seat right there, you should be able to pull 'em and replace 'em no problem.
branden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 07:25 PM   #10
zboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallard View Post
Put myself in that position a couple days ago to look at stuff under the dash. I'm sure my neighbors that were driving in were like WTF??
zboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 10:42 PM   #11
branden

I didn't find it necessary to turn around or whatever.

You can pull the cluster out and turn it so the back faces up, but the wheel restricts you from completely pulling it out. I found it most comfortable to just stand outside the car and look at the back of the cluster through the window once I turned the cluster backside-up.

Maybe you guys have a different wheel/cluster setup than I do. *shrug*
branden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 11:30 PM   #12
zboot

I wasn't looking at the cluster - I was looking at the wiring under the dash - the stuff that you need to remove the panels below the steering wheel to access.
zboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 02:49 PM   #13
tastade

This is helpful for me too, I have a dead spot in the middle of my speedometer, I think around 70 mph where there is no light. Is this likely a burned out bulb? The area only measures about 1" circle.
tastade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 03:14 AM   #14
tastade

I found the cause of the dead light in my dashboard. When I had removed the lower dash board (below the instrument cluster) a cable had come undone from a speaker/buzzer or something down there and it didn't get reconnected. Plugging in the speaker/buzzer fixed the light. They must have been on the same circuit. Maybe what I am thinking is a buzzer is really a light? I didn't look at it closely, it is centered right below the steering wheel in the lowermost interior panel. If this is a buzzer, what is it for?
tastade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 03:21 AM   #15
L84THSKY

I have a dead spot on the "100" mph of the speedo. What could cause that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastade View Post
This is helpful for me too, I have a dead spot in the middle of my speedometer, I think around 70 mph where there is no light. Is this likely a burned out bulb? The area only measures about 1" circle.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote