318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Suspension

Notices

Suspension Springs, sway bars, shocks.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 999,578 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 10-02-2006, 05:16 PM   #1
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Default eBay subrame bushing upgrade

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-e...spagenameZWDVW

Does anyone have these bushing inserts?

'99 Dinan M3
DustenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 05:30 PM   #2
L84THSKY

Holy coincidences Batman....... I do have these. Bought them awhile back, haven't installed them yet.

However, by another coincidence, I'm finishing my rear end work tomorrow with a friend. The planned work was as follows:

1. install BavAuto rear camber kit
2. Finishing the Diff work by swapping to remanufactured E30 halfshafts and new flanges.
3. Finish putting on the rear stainless steel brake lines.

And now that you reminded me, put in the inserts. I hope putting them in isn't a big hassle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustenT View Post
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-e...spagenameZWDVW

Does anyone have these bushing inserts?

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 06:12 PM   #3
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L84THSKY View Post
Holy coincidences Batman....... I do have these. Bought them awhile back, haven't installed them yet.

However, by another coincidence, I'm finishing my rear end work tomorrow with a friend. The planned work was as follows:

1. install BavAuto rear camber kit
2. Finishing the Diff work by swapping to remanufactured E30 halfshafts and new flanges.
3. Finish putting on the rear stainless steel brake lines.

And now that you reminded me, put in the inserts. I hope putting them in isn't a big hassle.
Great! Please let me know how the camber kit and bushing install goes. I assume you'll be having a professional alignment done too? Please post your alignment results when you get them (they usually print out a sheet with all the stats on it).

'99 Dinan M3
Old 10-02-2006, 06:19 PM   #4
L84THSKY

I spoke to a local independent repair shop, they have no issues with doing an alignment on my car. Wil get before and after specs, if possible.

Quote:
Great! Please let me know how the camber kit and bushing install goes. I assume you'll be having a professional alignment done too? Please post your alignment results when you get them (they usually print out a sheet with all the stats on it).

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
Old 10-04-2006, 01:54 AM   #5
L84THSKY

The halfshafts and flanges are in. The camber kit was a major PITA! We got it in, but it took close to 4 hours to do so. I hope I didn't have to set the bolts just right for my initial setup. I'm bringing the car in a for an alignment, and they should be able to set everything right. The steering wheel does seem to be biased to the left now. Strange, since I only added a rear camber kit.

Didn't have time to put those plastic subframe bushing parts in, wasn't even sure how to do it. Maybe another day.

Quote:

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
Old 10-04-2006, 10:06 PM   #6
L84THSKY

Here are the results of the wheel alignment. According to the mechanic, and I see his point, I installed my front camber kit for fixed camber, but adjustable caster. I thought I installed it correctly. My understanding was that if I installed it the way I did, the kit puts in a fixed amount of positive camber, to offset the negative, and then makes the caster adjustable. The mechanic said our car has no adjustment for front camber, just toe.

My rear camber kit was adjusted perfectly for -2 degrees, as BMW specifies.

So, in the end, my front is now slightly too negative per the spec, but my rear is perfectly -2 degrees as required. I'm gonna call the company that makes the front camber kit and straighten this out. Not a big deal, I just need to rotate the plate, and have the front readjusted to spec.

Quote:

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
Old 10-04-2006, 10:37 PM   #7
marleymon

few'?
did they worry about the 'weight in seats/gas tank full' issue? ...Needed or not?

did you end up getting both toe adjustability with camber correction? Or is it one or the other? I'm wondering if I should try these before swapping out a whole sf.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:42 PM   #8
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marleymon View Post
quick quest.: did they worry about the 'weight in seats/gas tank full' issue? ...Needed or not? thanks.
I was going to ask the same question. I need to find a place that will allow me in the car while they do the alignment.

'99 Dinan M3
Old 10-04-2006, 11:07 PM   #9
L84THSKY

I know the rear toe was off, and he put the camber correct, so that means the rear kit is both toe and camber correctable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marleymon View Post
few'?
did they worry about the 'weight in seats/gas tank full' issue? ...Needed or not?

did you end up getting both toe adjustability with camber correction? Or is it one or the other? I'm wondering if I should try these before swapping out a whole sf.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
Old 10-04-2006, 11:09 PM   #10
L84THSKY

He said he knows how to account for the weights issue. I asked him that question weeks ago, but forgot to ask him now that he just performed the alignment.

Quote:
I was going to ask the same question. I need to find a place that will allow me in the car while they do the alignment.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
Old 10-04-2006, 11:37 PM   #11
pdxmotorhead

Because of the time it takes, most shops would rather use sandbags, live people fidgit around too much.

Plus most shops insurance doesn't allow people in the car while the rack is in use.

Dave
pdxmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 07:35 PM   #12
L84THSKY

Default Update

I just called the manufacturer of my front camber kit. I did mount it incorrectly. Not a big deal to change, but I have the slots front to back, instead of side to side. I will need to drop the three strut bolts, take off this small plate and rotate it 90 degree. Then I can adjust camber + or - 3 degrees. I'm gonna wait till spring to do that, then have the front wheels realigned.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
Old 10-23-2006, 01:05 AM   #13
L84THSKY

Installed the bushing inserts. Started on them yesterday, the wratchet slipped and smashed me in the head. Big gash, had to go to the emergency room and get stitches.

Anyway, here are pics. Easy install, just make sure the threaded bolt that goes through the bushing doesn't start unthreading as you remove the nut on the bottom. This happened to me on the first side. The second side went in very smooth. The inner inserts are harder to get in than the outer inserts. Has something to do with the way the car is sitting when jacked up. I came up with an easy way to get the inner ones in. See the picture with the red strap around my brake hub.

Can't say how good they work yet, I will comment on another day.

Quote:
Great! Please let me know how the bushing install goes.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
Old 10-24-2006, 02:45 PM   #14
mohaughn

Kind of on topic... Does anybody know if I need to use an e30 specific kit or will the e36 rear subframe and chasis reinforcement kits work? I'm talking about the weld in metal plates to reinforce the rear subframe. I found a good welder that will weld them in for 50$, so for 140$ plus the time to drop/reinstall the subframe it seems like a pretty cheap upgrade.
mohaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 03:43 PM   #15
L84THSKY

I never heard of the subframe reinforcements, only sway bar tab reinforcements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohaughn View Post
Kind of on topic... Does anybody know if I need to use an e30 specific kit or will the e36 rear subframe and chasis reinforcement kits work? I'm talking about the weld in metal plates to reinforce the rear subframe. I found a good welder that will weld them in for 50$, so for 140$ plus the time to drop/reinstall the subframe it seems like a pretty cheap upgrade.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd