318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Maintenance

Notices

Maintenance Service Interval questions, oil change info.

» Recent Threads
looove
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
Last post by RichardBug
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
0 Replies, 1,584 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 09-29-2009, 09:31 PM   #1
iking3i

Default Vibration from Everywhere!!

Hey guys, so ive come here for some help as usual.. I appriciate everyones help and input!!

To start, my car has 141K with a new clutch kit replaced at 140K.. Since i replaced the clutch, i started to get a vibration on my actuall shifter.. the knob broke off so it just basically sits on the shifter so when i accelerate hard, the knob vibrates crazy.. the harder i accelerate the more it shakes.. now it happens that if i dont push the car hard it doesnt shake, and sometimes it doesnt shake at all..it sits there perfectly and feels normal..but the other day i was driving and the shifter was vibrating pretty hard when i suddenly heard this pop as if something popped backed into place or somethin very wierd.. and suddenly the shifter stopped vibrating so hard.. its only happend once nothing since, but it still vibrates.. I dont know what it could be or where to being to look.. it only shakes at the shifter, not under the cup holder or anything..

Next

I had directional tires and had to save the life of the tire, becuase of the chamber on the rear the inside of the tire was starting to show a good amount of wear.. What i did is i actually had them swapped.. Take the tire off the rim and switch it to the other side.. so instead of the wear being on the inside of the rim, its now on the outside of the rim.. what this did was now that the tire is starting to even out its wear, its causing uneven wear on the tire.. so the tire has sort of bumps on it untill the wear gets even.. So while i drive, i have this horible shakes until i pass a certain speed.. i hear it and feel the shake.. anything i should worry about??

Now next is about a weeek ago or so i started to have this rough idle and the engine is shaking.. I looked at the engine and seen it shake, i reved it up and it doesnt shake until i come to a stop, its a normal rev, then suddenly it starts its rough idle and i hear little burps i would call it through my exhaust.. im thinking it might be motor mounts, but why would it cause my exhaust to burp like that?? would seafoam help??

Im sorry for so many things, it happens that his all came up within the month or so.. i just need someone's insite on where to begin.. i dont have the cash to take it to the machanic to take a look.. they charge extra $$$ becuase its a "BMW"..

Last edited by iking3i; 09-29-2009 at 09:33 PM.
iking3i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 09:48 PM   #2
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

Motor mounts, tranny mounts, driveshaft center support bearing, new tires, alignment, possibly ball joints and tie rods, subframe bushings, trailing arm bushings, differential bushing... The car has 141k, things wear out.
cooljess76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 11:26 PM   #3
spidertri

Vehicles

You might want to stop driving it until you get these things taken care of or you might cause more damage.

But I agree with Jess, since the motor mounts are gone there's a good chance the trans mounts, guibo, center driveshaft bearing, etc have all crapped out too.

98 328ti Morea Grun slicktop
11 128i space gray slicktop
13 JGC WK2 Deep Cherry

Search | RealOEM
spidertri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 02:15 AM   #4
iking3i

this is my everyday commute to work car.. i wish i had a back up or something else i can drive... now im pretty handy, but i cant figure things out my myself.. is this something i can do while following directions? i understand how to change motor mounts, i need somehting to support the weight while i change them.. what about the tranny mounts.. is that the same? how do i replace my center support bearing? can i do that throught the inside of the car..or do i have to go from the bottom of the car up??

any recommendations on which to do first?? i have to plan these out with each pay check.. i can probly get the motor and tranny mounts since they arent TOO expensive.. i belive the support bearing is the most expensive of the 3... i can live wit the bumpy tires, i just have to wait until the wear evens out..
Old 09-30-2009, 02:26 AM   #5
cooljess76

The first step is getting under there and inspecting things. Try to determine what needs addressed first and go from there. Keep in mind that certain things are tied to others and can affect alignment and so forth. For instance, when/if you do your ball joints, you might want to do your tie rods prior to getting the front end aligned. Same with the rear subframe and trailing arm bushings. Guibo(flex disc) would be easy to replace while you're doing the tranny mounts. But definitely take a look under there before you commit to anything. If you absolutely have to drive it, be sure to take it easy, you can very well cause even more damage.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:24 AM   #6
budget76

Who did the clutch swap? I'm wondering if it/the flywheel isn't balanced properly, and is throwing the whole balance of the engine off.

How bad was the clutch prior? It's possible you didn't notice any of the above mounts being shot because you drove it so soft because the clutch was shot?
1995 318TI base. 95 2.5L from 325IS. S50 cams+pistons, e36 M3 front brakes. H&R race springs F+R. Turner Motorsport front sway bars, M3 control arms. M Roadster rear sway bar. Racing Dynamics strut brace. e36 325i 5spd. 3.25lsd from e28 535is. M Roadster short shifter. Conforti chip.
budget76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:42 AM   #7
iking3i

Well i suddenly have a CEL, got a reading and came up for Missfire my cylinders and a Camshaft position sensor code tagged along with it. im thinking the miss fire is becuase of the Camshaft position sensor.. This is the shaking in my car in idle and the rough idle isnt it??

I had a little bit of time today to get under the hood and the car.. now i looked at the tranny and motor mounts.. to be honest, i dont see damage, or misalignment, or even the rubber chipping off.. How do i tell is they are badd??

Heres the good stuff.. right under where the actual shifter is, is the end of the tranny, with a piece bolted in between the drivetrain.. Im assuming this is the Guibo(flex disc).. please correct me if i am wrong.. well it looks like it was suppost to be a round rubber piece with thread interwound in it.. well i can see the threads just hanging out and it doesnt loook round any more.. What is this piece and what does it do? was i correct by callin it the flex disc??

BUDGET76- The mechanic who did it, is a friend of mind who is pretty good at what he does.. he just opened up his shop and wasnt fully staffed with tools so he did what he could. The clutch disc itself was in descent condition.. the through out bearing was almost in pieces.. he didnt mention much about the flywheel, but wouldnt i have noticed that from the get go?? ive driven over 2K and this is happening now.. He mention that he saw a rubber piece that deals with vibration when the car drives.. he said it was going bad.. he said that it was top notch proirity, but in the future it will need to be changed.. he spoke spanish, so i couldnt understand what it was called in english.. by me typing all this i feel like its the guibo..

Guys fill me in.. please!!
Old 10-01-2009, 01:55 AM   #8
spidertri

Vehicles

Yeah, flex disc = guibo. If you can see threads and pieces of it are missing you definitely need to get a new one.

Here's a pic of a new one for comparison. http://www.turnermotorsport.com/imag...n_guibo_lg.jpg

That will most certainly cause vibration while accelerating. I'd fix that asap because if that goes you could definitely screw up other drivetrain stuff. You might get lucky and find that that is the only thing causing your vibration.

Pelican parts write up >>> http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tech.../E36-Guibo.htm

98 328ti Morea Grun slicktop
11 128i space gray slicktop
13 JGC WK2 Deep Cherry

Search | RealOEM
spidertri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:30 AM   #9
iking3i

U GUYS ARE AWSOMEE!!!! I appricate everyones help and non flaming for asking certain obvious things..

I will be ordering a new Flex disc 2moro, and replacing it the weekend it arrives.. Now like i said i need this to be my everyday car.. i will be driving it like it was a baby.. thanks guys..

Any heads up, tricks or tips you can give before the replacing?
Old 10-01-2009, 06:55 AM   #10
pdxmotorhead

Watch your knuckles, there be sharpp bits when the wrenches pop off....

Dave
pdxmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 12:49 PM   #11
iking3i

Anyone who replaced thier guibo, what do you think is the easiest way? i have the pelican write up, but i hear people who dont need to take off the exhaust, or even dont need to take off the drive train from differential.. im getting ready to replace the guibo in a few hours, any response would be great!
Old 12-09-2009, 02:04 AM   #12
black96ti

vibration doesnt come all in a sudden hard from soft usually it start soft but bushing and shock doesnt go out at 131k or what ever you have depend on how the 131k was driven hard bump road or whatever your everyday thing but i noticed after owning 4 bmw a 740 sport a five 540 and ti and a is coupe that bmw just are weard ass car they never run the same everyday they just have unexplainable things that normal car dont have at time
black96ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:14 AM   #13
MPWR

Quote:
Originally Posted by black96ti View Post
vibration doesnt come all in a sudden hard from soft usually it start soft but bushing and shock doesnt go out at 131k or what ever you have depend on how the 131k was driven hard bump road or whatever your everyday thing but i noticed after owning 4 bmw a 740 sport a five 540 and ti and a is coupe that bmw just are weard ass car they never run the same everyday they just have unexplainable things that normal car dont have at time
whaaa....?

'97 318ti M-Sport
'95 M3
BMWCCA
MPWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 05:19 AM   #14
cooljess76

Quote:
Originally Posted by black96ti View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPWR View Post
whaaa....?

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Old 12-09-2009, 05:30 AM   #15
tiFreak

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljess76 View Post
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
I know I have
tiFreak is offline   Reply With Quote