318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Suspension

Notices

Suspension Springs, sway bars, shocks.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
Yesterday 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 942,891 Views
looove
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
Last post by RichardBug
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
0 Replies, 1,633 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 05-09-2005, 09:25 PM   #1
myblueTI

Default shocks

i was wondering if i have sport springs and i want to buy new shocks do i have to buy the sport shocks because i have the sport springs
myblueTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 10:40 PM   #2
aceyx

if you have a sport package, you have the sport suspension (springs and shocks).

run a search; you'll find how to identify what model you have has been discussed innumerable times.
aceyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 12:57 AM   #3
gooten1

I replaced my shocks first with some lowering springs from BavAuto, then put about 5k miles on them. Lowering/sport springs will wear out your shocks faster than regualar. I then put some Bilsteins that were sport shocks to match the spring rate. It would be easier to do the swap of springs and shocks at the same time.
Old 05-11-2005, 03:17 AM   #4
myblueTI

ya i bought the bav auto sport springs and i am thinking that it would make more sense to replace the shocks as well since they are a couple years old and prolly in ok shape but i dont want to have to do the hole thing over when the shocks go out
thanks for the info

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooten1
I replaced my shocks first with some lowering springs from BavAuto, then put about 5k miles on them. Lowering/sport springs will wear out your shocks faster than regualar. I then put some Bilsteins that were sport shocks to match the spring rate. It would be easier to do the swap of springs and shocks at the same time.
Old 05-27-2005, 03:09 AM   #5
myblueTI

what brand of shocks would the best be to buy i was thinking bilstien but i dont know for sure???
Old 05-27-2005, 07:50 AM   #6
m-technik_ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by myblueTI
what brand of shocks would the best be to buy i was thinking bilstien but i dont know for sure???
Bilstein sport shocks are a great product for the money. Ride quality/handling is greatly improved when coupled with lowering springs.
Old 05-27-2005, 10:59 AM   #7
H3_2.1-ti

Quote:
I agree with m-technik ti. Bilstein shocks are excellent, although they are not manually adjustable like Konis, they in my opinion have a better build quality. The performance is unmatched. They are perfect for lowering springs. Definitely worth buying. I got mine from Vitesse Tuning. I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Engine: 2.1L Hartge conversion (bored to 86X91mm, ported & polished head, new valves, new crank, & upgraded ECU), Supersprint SS headers, Hartge exhaust, custom cat bypass (track), KV85 wires, Bosch platinum plugs, Vitesse cf spark plug cover, Vitesse cf CAI, Samco hoses, Fiamm air horns. Drivetrain: custom ssk, Vitesse adj. clutch stop, Redline D4 ATF & 75W90. Chassis: 18x8.5 Hartge Classics on 225/40/ZR18 Direzza DZ101s, 17x8 Hartge 7 spokes on 235/40/17 Direzza Z1 *specs and 17x9 Enkei MT1-R on 235/40/17 Direzza Z1 *specs(track), Vitesse 10mm spacers with cf/billet hub extenders, Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, Hartge sway bars & strut brace, urethane offset LCABs, Vitesse rsb, billet/urethane RSMs, X-brace, ATE BBK, ATE slotted rr. rotors, Goodridge ss. lines, ATE Superblue. Exterior: Violettschwarz, Hartge lip spoiler, window spoiler, hatch spoiler & mirrors, Vitesse cf door pillars, Vitesse cf fog light blanks (track), ZKW ellipsoids, HIDs in headlights, highbeams and foglights, and much more... Performance BMW Magazine feature car March 2003 www.vitessetuning.com
H3_2.1-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 04:08 AM   #8
myblueTI

Ok them i am going with bilstien but i was wondering if i am replacing the springs and shocks do i need to get camber plates also?
Old 06-01-2005, 05:02 AM   #9
m-technik_ti

Quote:
Ok them i am going with bilstien but i was wondering if i am replacing the springs and shocks do i need to get camber plates also?
Bav auto sport springs lower your bmw approx. 1 1/4'' , plus with new Bilstein shocks installed, your ride height may be raised a bit, so you don’t necessarily need to purchase camber plates. Just make sure you rotate your tires regularly to avoid the wear effects of negative camber, which would be minimal in your case (I'm running a 2.5" drop with no camber plates!).
Old 07-06-2005, 10:00 AM   #10
Platanos

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-technik_ti
Bav auto sport springs lower your bmw approx. 1 1/4'' , plus with new Bilstein shocks installed, your ride height may be raised a bit, so you don’t necessarily need to purchase camber plates. Just make sure you rotate your tires regularly to avoid the wear effects of negative camber, which would be minimal in your case (I'm running a 2.5" drop with no camber plates!).

I just bought some H&R race springs, I know I'm gonna need some new shocks, but what the heck is a chamber plate? Do I need one? I think I'm getting myself into trouble trying to do all this stuff myself, cause I don't know chit. Help!! I know the springs will gimme a 2.5" drop in the front and a 1.2" in the back. I have 18"s on. Is this gonna be a problem?
Platanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 03:19 PM   #11
nick_hegel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platanos
I just bought some H&R race springs, I know I'm gonna need some new shocks, but what the heck is a chamber plate? Do I need one? I think I'm getting myself into trouble trying to do all this stuff myself, cause I don't know chit. Help!! I know the springs will gimme a 2.5" drop in the front and a 1.2" in the back. I have 18"s on. Is this gonna be a problem?
I could be wrong, but you may end up with uneven wear on the tires. This is the problem I had, but it was also due to misalignment of the suspension. You can find a front and rear camber kit on bavauto.com. Thats where I got mine.
'96 Alaska Blue ti w/ Supersprint cat-back exhaust...Dinan CAI & Chip...Eibach Pro-Kit Springs...Bilstein Sport shocks...BavAuto camber kit...Brembo d/s rotors...UUC SSK...Centerforce Dual Friction clutch...TMS 9lb flywheel...18 inch OZ Rims...Carbon-Fiber dash/gauge bezel...Momo Shift Knob...Indiglo gauges...Schroth Harness...ZKW's/ProLumen 6k HID...Predator Chromiums
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...urowerksig.jpg
nick_hegel is offline   Reply With Quote