318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Induction

Notices

Induction Superchargers, NO2 and turbos.

.
» Recent Threads
Biolite's Build
05-11-2022 02:28 AM
Last post by J!m
05-16-2022 11:48 AM
4 Replies, 997 Views
Danny's 318ti Thread...
05-03-2022 07:13 PM
Last post by J!m
05-16-2022 11:44 AM
4 Replies, 459 Views
1995 BMW 318ti for sale
04-29-2022 05:46 PM
Last post by baby_bimmer
05-14-2022 09:06 PM
6 Replies, 1,763 Views
First BMW
05-13-2022 06:24 PM
Last post by Biolite
05-13-2022 11:35 PM
1 Replies, 310 Views
What model ti do you own?
02-26-2003 03:40 AM
Last post by ja_sam_vegan
05-08-2022 03:41 AM
346 Replies, 188,968 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2009, 03:19 PM   #1
xxxJohnBoyxxx
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Gulfport, Florida
Posts: 3,208
iTrader: (1)
Default DASC Tune-up

Did you know you can adjust the bypass valve?

There is a adjustment screw on there and mine was off a few turns not letting the valve close completely so boost was leaking back and looping through the SC. Also I found if you put the vacuum line from the bypass valve to the boost port nipple instead of the TB vaccum port the boost pressure helps to press the flap close tighter.

Just a few FYI's if your a little light on boost. It doesn't cost anything to check that adjustment.
xxxJohnBoyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 06:16 AM   #2
Danny318
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: MA
Posts: 163
iTrader: (0)
Default

nice
Danny318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:22 AM   #3
performanceisland
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: usa
Posts: 378
iTrader: (1)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxJohnBoyxxx View Post
Did you know you can adjust the bypass valve?

There is a adjustment screw on there and mine was off a few turns not letting the valve close completely so boost was leaking back and looping through the SC. Also I found if you put the vacuum line from the bypass valve to the boost port nipple instead of the TB vaccum port the boost pressure helps to press the flap close tighter.

Just a few FYI's if your a little light on boost. It doesn't cost anything to check that adjustment.
ok so my boost guage works, the vac is at about 18 at idle, then when i drive and floor it the boost guage shows 6psi, then it jumps/spikes to about 8psi when i hit the rev limiter at which point the transmission light goes on, and i have to turn the car of and restart it to get rid of the light, although the light doesnt limit my trans to 3rd and 4th gears as it tipically does when it goes on.

why only 6 psi? im in illinois where it is no more then 30 degrees F outside. could this be the same problem you had, should i check my bypass valve, how can i tell if thats it?
why trans light?
performanceisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:18 AM   #4
xxxJohnBoyxxx
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Gulfport, Florida
Posts: 3,208
iTrader: (1)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by performanceisland View Post
ok so my boost guage works, the vac is at about 18 at idle, then when i drive and floor it the boost guage shows 6psi, then it jumps/spikes to about 8psi when i hit the rev limiter at which point the transmission light goes on, and i have to turn the car of and restart it to get rid of the light, although the light doesnt limit my trans to 3rd and 4th gears as it tipically does when it goes on.

why only 6 psi? im in illinois where it is no more then 30 degrees F outside. could this be the same problem you had, should i check my bypass valve, how can i tell if thats it?
why trans light?
Can't help you with the trans light, I run a Manual. Try putting the bypass valve vacuum line on the second boost port nipple on the DASC manifold or put a tee connector on one of your line off of the DASC. This will ensure the valve is slammed close and held there with boost pressure.

Are you running a digital gauge or dial mechanical?

Need some information. What engine M42 or M44? What size SC pulley? What size crank pulley?

The proper way to measure a pulley is to remove the belt and wrap a string around the pulley in the belt grooves. Then measure the string and divide by 3.14 for pulley diameter. If you give me you crank pulley and SC pulley sizes I can tell you what boost you should be seeing.

It is normal to see a mechanical dial gauge jump around when hitting the limiter. When you hit the limiter the car will gain vacuum and the bypass will open on the SC then close quickly. Even though the SC is only putting out 6psi the sudden on off of 6psi will make the machincal gauge jump past 6psi. That's why I asked about digital or machanical.

Long story short you most likely have the 4" pulley and will only see 6psi unless you go with a smaller pulley. pulleyboys(dot)com
xxxJohnBoyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 04:21 PM   #5
performanceisland
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: usa
Posts: 378
iTrader: (1)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxJohnBoyxxx View Post
Can't help you with the trans light, I run a Manual. Try putting the bypass valve vacuum line on the second boost port nipple on the DASC manifold or put a tee connector on one of your line off of the DASC. This will ensure the valve is slammed close and held there with boost pressure.

Are you running a digital gauge or dial mechanical?

Need some information. What engine M42 or M44? What size SC pulley? What size crank pulley?

The proper way to measure a pulley is to remove the belt and wrap a string around the pulley in the belt grooves. Then measure the string and divide by 3.14 for pulley diameter. If you give me you crank pulley and SC pulley sizes I can tell you what boost you should be seeing.

It is normal to see a mechanical dial gauge jump around when hitting the limiter. When you hit the limiter the car will gain vacuum and the bypass will open on the SC then close quickly. Even though the SC is only putting out 6psi the sudden on off of 6psi will make the machincal gauge jump past 6psi. That's why I asked about digital or machanical.

Long story short you most likely have the 4" pulley and will only see 6psi unless you go with a smaller pulley. pulleyboys(dot)com
the pulley is definately not 4", i varified with downing atlanta and its a 3.6 they say, when i measure it around the belt area it comes out to be 3.4 to me. my crank pulley is stock. my guage is a mechanical one, i am going to try antoher guage to check to see if its a piece of crap guage. as for the bypass valve i have not tried that yet, it just snowed here so its har to take the car out for a spin, will be trying that and a different guage as soon as the snow is gone on wednsday, thanks.
performanceisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 04:56 PM   #6
xxxJohnBoyxxx
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Gulfport, Florida
Posts: 3,208
iTrader: (1)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by performanceisland View Post
the pulley is definately not 4", i varified with downing atlanta and its a 3.6 they say, when i measure it around the belt area it comes out to be 3.4 to me. my crank pulley is stock. my guage is a mechanical one, i am going to try antoher guage to check to see if its a piece of crap guage. as for the bypass valve i have not tried that yet, it just snowed here so its har to take the car out for a spin, will be trying that and a different guage as soon as the snow is gone on wednsday, thanks.
What motor M44 or M42? doubt you have a 3.4" from Downing...Measure with a string around the pulley and divide by 3.14, no belt on pulley and do the crank at the same time. Can't help you much if I don't know what size pulley you have or what motor you have
xxxJohnBoyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:22 PM   #7
lpcapital
Senior Member
 
lpcapital's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Oceanside, CA
Posts: 421
iTrader: (0)
Default

I used your method when I insalled my SC and here's what I got:

- Crank (main pulley) 5.6"
- Supercharger 3.7"
- Alternator 2.1"
- Water pump 4.9"
- Power steering 5.4"
- Crank (A/C) 5.4"
- A/C compressor 4.6"

Believe it or not I haven't put on a boost gauge yet so I dunno what I'm pushing...
__________________
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh284/lpcapital/ZetaTre-2.jpg

2003 Z4 2.5i
2002 Ducati Monster S4
lpcapital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:08 PM   #8
performanceisland
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: usa
Posts: 378
iTrader: (1)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxJohnBoyxxx View Post
What motor M44 or M42? doubt you have a 3.4" from Downing...Measure with a string around the pulley and divide by 3.14, no belt on pulley and do the crank at the same time. Can't help you much if I don't know what size pulley you have or what motor you have
m44 crank is stock and supercharger pulley is the 3.6inch, just confirmned it. also just installed new autometer guage, more expensive then my original and different brand and am getting 7.25psi on this guage, however i am also getting less vaccum at idle about 15.5. now the last three days (all after the DASC install) the car does not want to start from cold, it turns over, and battery is full, i have to hit the gas pedal and rev it a little to get it to idle before it will stay running.
performanceisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 07:02 AM   #9
Danny318
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: MA
Posts: 163
iTrader: (0)
Default

sounds like you are leaking somewhere. check everything everything, all the hoses, intake boot, etc.
Danny318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 05:36 PM   #10
performanceisland
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: usa
Posts: 378
iTrader: (1)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny318 View Post
sounds like you are leaking somewhere. check everything everything, all the hoses, intake boot, etc.
well i went out there to my garage to look for leaks and found antoher problem, coolant leak at back of motor, any ideas ?
performanceisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 06:02 PM   #11
marko
Senior Member
 
marko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,625
iTrader: (2)
Default

this is it... between the motor & the fire wall.
cheap - like 30 bucks.




you can find details here...

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.d...3&mospid=47506


Quote:
Originally Posted by performanceisland View Post
well i went out there to my garage to look for leaks and found antoher problem, coolant leak at back of motor, any ideas ?
__________________
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh98/damiennn666/318ti5-1.jpg?t=1217269847
SOLD!SOLD!SOLD!SOLD!SOLD!SOLD!SOLD!SOLD!
Metric Mechanic's 2.0 stroker/258' intake cam/42 lb. inj./remap/HD fuel pump
/DASC w.3' pulley @ 15psi/SNOW System/3.45 LSD/Billstein PSS coils
/Stromung Exhaust/DS1's/X-Brace/Front & Rear H&R Sways/OMP 300mm SW
/SAP delete/ASC+T delete/Hayabusa valve springs/MM's LTW flywheel
marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 06:10 PM   #12
lpcapital
Senior Member
 
lpcapital's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Oceanside, CA
Posts: 421
iTrader: (0)
Default

If you followed the DASC instruction and installed the bypass hose from the rear of the block to the side, it's probably likely that hose put too much tension on that plastic thing and it broke. They are already fragile as it is.

If you take a look at my install here you'll see I removed that hose and made two plugs.

PS: I would suggest you not to post unrelated questions in a thread or do multiple posts. It just creates a lot of confusion on the forum. It's best to start a new thread as you'll get the attention of more people...
__________________
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh284/lpcapital/ZetaTre-2.jpg

2003 Z4 2.5i
2002 Ducati Monster S4
lpcapital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 06:29 PM   #13
marko
Senior Member
 
marko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,625
iTrader: (2)
Default

sorry man, didnt realize I was answering an off topic Q.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpcapital View Post
PS: I would suggest you not to post unrelated questions in a thread or do multiple posts. It just creates a lot of confusion on the forum. It's best to start a new thread as you'll get the attention of more people...
__________________
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh98/damiennn666/318ti5-1.jpg?t=1217269847
SOLD!SOLD!SOLD!SOLD!SOLD!SOLD!SOLD!SOLD!
Metric Mechanic's 2.0 stroker/258' intake cam/42 lb. inj./remap/HD fuel pump
/DASC w.3' pulley @ 15psi/SNOW System/3.45 LSD/Billstein PSS coils
/Stromung Exhaust/DS1's/X-Brace/Front & Rear H&R Sways/OMP 300mm SW
/SAP delete/ASC+T delete/Hayabusa valve springs/MM's LTW flywheel
marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 06:45 PM   #14
performanceisland
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: usa
Posts: 378
iTrader: (1)
Default

ok, im justs antsy, want to get this thing running perfect, anyway thanks for the help, i think its probobly that piece that i broke, i wonder if i have to take the supercharger off to get at it. And i saw your plug method, i wanted to install evrything according to the manual but i see now that the plug method woudl work better, that hose laying there under the supercharger does have a lot of strees put on it.
performanceisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 05:28 AM   #15
Danny318
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: MA
Posts: 163
iTrader: (0)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpcapital View Post
If you followed the DASC instruction and installed the bypass hose from the rear of the block to the side, it's probably likely that hose put too much tension on that plastic thing and it broke. They are already fragile as it is.

If you take a look at my install here you'll see I removed that hose and made two plugs.

PS: I would suggest you not to post unrelated questions in a thread or do multiple posts. It just creates a lot of confusion on the forum. It's best to start a new thread as you'll get the attention of more people...
this forum is so slow I dont get how anything could be confused. THere are like 6 people that post here
Danny318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
M44 tune up kit sokat1989 eBay and Craig's list listings 3 12-11-2008 04:29 AM
New power mods + tune up for my DASC>quick! Moose Engine 20 07-25-2008 04:16 AM
Turbo tune hhspunter Induction 21 01-24-2007 05:50 AM
tune up ???? dguzzardo22 Maintenance 8 10-23-2006 07:51 PM
Time for Tune-up CAMOKAT Engine 0 06-15-2001 11:04 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:50 AM.


.
Powered by site supporters
vBulletin Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1999 - 2022, 318ti.org
© vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2
[page compression: 123.24 k/146.28 k (15.75%)]

318ti.org does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information or products discussed.